LGA 1700 Alder Lake "Servers"

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Weapon

Oct 19, 2013
Did you guys notice that stores have now swapped the price of the non-IPMI and IPMI ASUS boards? Looks like the non-IPMI is $329 and IPMI is $400. Good for us that got in early, I guess.
Haha, I wondered what was up with that. Gotta say the IPMI card is pretty jank, you gotta connect like 4 cables to the motherboard from it.

saf1

Nov 27, 2022
Whelp - I think it is time to turn in my 'home-lab' card :( To everyone who mentioned the SATA power cable change, standard, or whatever the correct term is that was the problem. I feel pretty stupid especially since I clearly ran into this issue a while back but forgot. That is why the drives would spin up in perfectly fine in the current X11 system. Proper power cable. Go figure.

Apologies for the delay in replying and confirming as it took me a while to rotate through the drives and upgrade the arrays. Two large arrays one with 10TB drives and the other with 8 TB. I had to go from 10 TB to 16 TB then use those 10's to upgrade the 8 TB disks. Once those freed up move the 8's to my Windows server for Stablebit storage to then copy over the ZFS data :) I do not have any tape systems or other way to move that much data and I wanted it backed up in case I made a mistake.

The ZFS resilver is in progress and will take a while but so far the system is stable. Supermicro X13SAE, Intel i9 13900K, 64 GB memory, LSI 9300-8i, 6 x 16 TB WD disks.

Reactions: RolloZ170

rootshell

Jan 10, 2021
For the guys with the ASUS w680-ACE board, have you figured out the deal with the 6-pin power input connector on the MB? All I see in the manual is this:

The PCIE_6P_PWR connector provides additional power for your PCIe X16 slots.
So I'm ASSuming that the 24-pin, 8-pin, 4-pin power connectors provide some power to the PCIe slots, but not enough for some power hungry AICs that draw off the PCIe slot, maybe? [/confused]
You'd think ASUS would spec a base wattage provided without it connected, and a higher max wattage when connected. But I don't see anything in the manual.

My build is based on SM SC846 case with an older, non-modular PS -- no 6-pin power connector or SATA power. It's got (2) 8-pin power connectors - 1 has to connect up by the CPU, so I could try to find an 8-to-6 pin adapter for the other?.?. The pin out pattern doesn't appear to align for 6 of the 8 pins on the PS 8-pin connector either, so appear would certainly need an adapter; not slip it on with 2 unused PINs.

Also, anyone identify and source a compatible TPM for this MB?

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
So I'm ASSuming that the 24-pin, 8-pin, 4-pin power connectors provide some power to the PCIe slots, but not enough for some power hungry AICs that draw off the PCIe slot, maybe? [/confused]
normaly is only the 24 pin +12V connected to the PCIe slots. nowadays some vendors shorted the connection of all +12V inputs but that is not the origin idea of having seperated connectors. peaks power requierments from GPU cards(each 66W +12V) can produce issues so this extra power input is real good idea.

rootshell

Jan 10, 2021
normaly is only the 24 pin +12V connected to the PCIe slots. nowadays some vendors shorted the connection of all +12V inputs but that is not the origin idea of having seperated connectors. peaks power requierments from GPU cards(each 66W +12V) can produce issues so this extra power input is real good idea.
I guess where I'm confused is I'm not running a GPU AIC, only using the iGPU, but am running an LSI HBA and Mellanox NIC which do draw some power. Not sure where the line is wattage-wise where this 4th power connector on the MB is needed. I did find an 8-pin CPU power to 6-pin PCIe adapter - will see if it works when the time comes. Just found it strange that there is no power spec in the manual.

ServerNewb

Feb 20, 2023
I really like the ASUS PRO WS W680-ACE but is having the same problem as everybody else in finding ECC DDR5 memory - the only company I have found selling Innodisk memories in Sweden do not allow returns unless product is in unbroken package or under warranty so not ideal unless somebody can actually 100% confirm the bord really support 4 x 32 GB in true ECC mode...
Unbelievable that a board with a chipset that have ECC as one of its main features has not been tested with more ECC brands than Innodisk that hardly is sold anywhere...

Reactions: AlOX

Alex_T0000

Aug 7, 2021
Did you guys notice that stores have now swapped the price of the non-IPMI and IPMI ASUS boards? Looks like the non-IPMI is $329 and IPMI is $400. Good for us that got in early, I guess.
Agree completely! here in Canada, the IPMI boards went from what I paid for it - $447.99 CDN to $539.99 CDN, Canada Computers is still listing the W680-ACE IPMI for $449.99 CDN, but has never had stock, not sure when they would.

I can also report that the Micron ECC UDIMMs have been rock solid on the Asus Pro WS W680-ACE IPMI board, zero issues, system is running like a champ.

P/N included here for those who might still be on the fence.
MTC20C2085S1EC48BA1R - MICRON SEMICONDUCTOR PRODUCTS DDR5 ECC UDIMM 32GB 2RX8 4800 CL40 (SINGLE PACK)

ServerNewb

Feb 20, 2023
Agree completely! here in Canada, the IPMI boards went from what I paid for it - $447.99 CDN to $539.99 CDN, Canada Computers is still listing the W680-ACE IPMI for $449.99 CDN, but has never had stock, not sure when they would.

I can also report that the Micron ECC UDIMMs have been rock solid on the Asus Pro WS W680-ACE IPMI board, zero issues, system is running like a champ.

P/N included here for those who might still be on the fence.
MTC20C2085S1EC48BA1R - MICRON SEMICONDUCTOR PRODUCTS DDR5 ECC UDIMM 32GB 2RX8 4800 CL40 (SINGLE PACK)
But do you know for sure that you actually run in true ECC mode?

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
I experienced that on fresh installations of both versions of Windows Server. Disabling E-cores does not change anything. Besides the reduced performance everything else seems to be stable and working.
Did you check the power settings for windows server?

muffinman

Feb 21, 2023
Thanks for the hint! It was indeed the default power plan that caused the problems. Switching from default to high performance fixed the issue.

Weapon

Oct 19, 2013
I really like the ASUS PRO WS W680-ACE but is having the same problem as everybody else in finding ECC DDR5 memory - the only company I have found selling Innodisk memories in Sweden do not allow returns unless product is in unbroken package or under warranty so not ideal unless somebody can actually 100% confirm the bord really support 4 x 32 GB in true ECC mode...
Unbelievable that a board with a chipset that have ECC as one of its main features has not been tested with more ECC brands than Innodisk that hardly is sold anywhere...
Not sure how to confirm “100%”. Is there a specific test you want to see? Memtest shows ECC as “enabled”.

Reactions: ServerNewb

ServerNewb

Feb 20, 2023
Not sure how to confirm “100%”. Is there a specific test you want to see? Memtest shows ECC as “enabled”.
Well there seem to be a lot of discussion in this thread how to be sure one is not seeing on-chip ECC etc. I am not an expert so cant say what to test but I am considering buying this quite expensive board just to get true ECC capability so just want to be sure to get memory that really provides this.
Would really have liked ASUS to provide some more alternatives in their list of tested modules and not just the Innodisk one that seem impossible to get hold of.
May give the Micron ones a try...

Reactions: Alex_T0000