LGA 1700 Alder Lake "Servers"

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Alex_T0000

Aug 7, 2021
Thanks for the update. Would you mind providing a direct link to exactly what you bought? I'm seeing a lot of "hynix HMCG88MEBEA" offerings but many places leave off the last 4 numbers of the model #.
I decided to go all out and picked up processor and memory modules showed up today, just finished running some tests and things are looking good for the Micron ECC UDIMMs I indicated I would pick up.

Finished running tests, and I'm satisfied that it's stable, moving onwards to the OS. I did notice the "SPD not detected", and after a bit of reading, it looks like I have to change a setting in the BIOS to enable this (SPD Write) -> For vendors that use Aptio-based BIOSes (such as Fujitsu Celsius W5012), the SPD Write Disable setting may appear under Advanced in the BIOS setup as below. (as per MemTest86 RAM SPD Issues)

mt86Screen-20230203-203157.png

mt86Screen-20230203-203226.png

Weapon

Oct 19, 2013
Yeah I saw that but still curious v10.0 was working for the X13SAE
I was looking back at my screenshots and can't find one for the X13SAE with 13th gen CPU and MemTest v10.0 showing ECC "enabled" only when I had the 12th gen CPU installed. So that may be the reason.

Would still be curious if v10.0 shows ECC as enabled for a 13th gen CPU in the X13SAE but I already returned my board.

saf1

Nov 27, 2022
I was looking back at my screenshots and can't find one for the X13SAE with 13th gen CPU and MemTest v10.0 showing ECC "enabled" only when I had the 12th gen CPU installed. So that may be the reason.

Would still be curious if v10.0 shows ECC as enabled for a 13th gen CPU in the X13SAE but I already returned my board.
I have one - let me fire up memory test. Give me a couple minutes.

saf1

Nov 27, 2022
Not sure if this helps. I had run the memory test earlier in the week and recall seeing it enabled. Just fired it up after reading the post and it says ecc enabled, yes.

1675563624009.png

1675563716578.png

BigBullion

Jul 28, 2022
Just in case anyone is interested, I have asked ASUS if the SATA ports on the Pro WS W680-ACE are hot pluggable. Their response is:

In accordance with the escalated case that you have with us, Our Technical Department state. Yes, this motherboard will support Hog plug for all SATA ports. That is standard features for SATA 6Gbps
The manual did not say whether the SATA ports were hot pluggable. I asked this question several days ago and it took very long for them to answer because customer service did not know the answer and they had to ask the Technical department.

Two years ago, I asked whether the SATA ports on the Pro WS W480-ACE were hot pluggable, and they have also responded "yes".

Reactions: AlOX and Alex_T0000

carbide

Oct 12, 2021
For anyone who's built one of these servers (motherboard and RAM types notwithstanding), has anyone tried using them as an ESXi host? I know there's a workaround required to avoid a PSOD about the P/E core mismatches, but if anyone has done so, can you talk about about how well (or not) it works?

I'm in the market to build a few small VM hosts this year, and I'm stuck in a three-way decision between chancing an AM5 build (with the same issues as LGA-1700 with vendors not providing much in the way of server mobos), an LGA-1700 (with the P/E core "fun"), or going back a couple generations and using Xeon W-21xx (losing performance, but sooo much easier to find parts).

rootshell

Jan 10, 2021
has anyone tried using them as an ESXi host?
I have plans, but am weeks off from being able to work on this. I'll report back what I find.

I'd likely plan to disable the e-cores as I doubt VMware has spent any time on handling Intel's big.little architecture.
Another question for ESXi is being able to passthrough the iGPU for 13th gen cpu - again, not sure.

copcopcopcop

Feb 2, 2017