LGA 1700 Alder Lake "Servers"

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

saf1

Nov 27, 2022
Also, i didn't catch what drives you have. WD has a PDF listing all the drives that have PWDIS. It's how i found out my drive was in fact not defective at all (i almost cried of joy). After that the finger-on-drive method worked wonders.

This link might be old depending on your drive.. but as reference:

https://documents.westerndigital.co...h-brief-western-digital-power-disable-pin.pdf
The drives are WD MDL: WD160EDGZ-11B2DA0. They are from the WD 16 TB Elements Desktop external - so shucked.

heromode

May 25, 2020
The drives are WD MDL: WD160EDGZ-11B2DA0. They are from the WD 16 TB Elements Desktop external - so shucked.
yeah, so they are not included in the PDF i linked. I bet there is a PDF somewhere. But your best bet is holding your fingers on the surface of the drive as you power on the system. If they spin up, you WILL feel it.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
They are from the WD 16 TB Elements Desktop external
from a Western Digital Easystore external drive ? white label ?
anyway, here are some pictures. one time you will get one of those drives even if that is todayn ot your issue.

saf1

Nov 27, 2022
from a Western Digital Easystore external drive ? white label ?
anyway, here are some pictures. one time you will get one of those drives even if that is todayn ot your issue.
Yes, they are the white label. And thanks for the information.

saf1

Nov 27, 2022
yeah, so they are not included in the PDF i linked. I bet there is a PDF somewhere. But your best bet is holding your fingers on the surface of the drive as you power on the system. If they spin up, you WILL feel it.
Yeah I didn't see it there either but it is odd that it is working on my older board. I'm guessing I have the molex connectors but can't remove the case top to verify. I'm going to get a molex to sata and test this today though as I never thought of this.

I did power up the server and touched the 10 tb drive. I did not feel it spinning so maybe this is it. I checked for a molex adapter but do not have one. I will check my desktop and see if I can move one to test ruther.

Thank you again everyone.

Alex_T0000

Aug 7, 2021
So as a reference point I have a i9-12900K in an ASUS Prime Z690-P with non-ECC DDR5 memory, but obviously has the standard on-die ECC that all DDR5 has. I ran dmidecode just to see what it would look like:

Code:
dmidecode -t memory
# dmidecode 3.3
Getting SMBIOS data from sysfs.
SMBIOS 3.4.0 present.

Handle 0x0047, DMI type 16, 23 bytes
Physical Memory Array
    Use: System Memory
    Error Correction Type: None
    Maximum Capacity: 256 GB
    Error Information Handle: Not Provided
    Number Of Devices: 4
So it looks like it doesn't recognize the standard on-die ECC at all. Maybe when it's saying error correction type "Single-bit ECC" that means it's working correctly. After all real ECC can only correct a single bit error even if it can detect a two bit error as well.
Thanks for running this command for everyone's benefit and reference. It's great to know that it really does seem like ECC is working correctly, on that basis, the key thing we all want is correction capability at the end of the day.

Thank you!

rootshell

Jan 10, 2021
So, good news, my Asus w680-ACE IPMI just got delivered by FedEx.

Bad News - sounds like the ECC story line drama is still going. The Innodisk sticks aren't available, so I may just risk it and grab the Hynix and hope for the best. Not sure what other alternative there is.

Reactions: AlOX and Alex_T0000

BigBullion

Jul 28, 2022
The Micron sticks just dropped in price (see DirectDial and ShopBlt which sells them without tax). The Micron sticks have faster shipping than the Hynix sticks so you are able to return the RAM and/or MOBO if they don't work together (that was my plan when I bought the Micron sticks and the Gigabyte B650 board together).

Last edited:

rootshell

Jan 10, 2021
Has anyone on the forum tested the ASUS w680 MB with the Crucial sticks yet?

At least with the Hynix sticks, people are seeing single bit ECC reported...vs. none with non-ECC sticks.

The SM store has the Hynix sticks in stock as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alex_T0000

Alex_T0000

Aug 7, 2021
Using the hynix HMCG88MEBEA084N sticks with the asus w680 ipmi and can confirm memtest reports ecc enabled.
Thanks for sharing! I can also confirm that ASUS has just updated their QVL for Processors which is now in alignment with Intel ARK for ECC enabled processors on the WS680 ACE / ACE IPMI boards.

They have also replied to my support inquiry around ECC RAM support and have indicated that they are seeking to obtain more ECC modules to test with. What is interesting is that with Hynix working, and the Innodisk modules being Samsung based, I am starting to believe that as long as they indicate true UDIMM ECC specs (and not just on-die ECC) we should be in good shape.

I'm waiting for availability of some of the Hynix here in Canada and then I'll pull the trigger on 2 x 32GB ECC modules.

rootshell

Jan 10, 2021
Using the hynix HMCG88MEBEA084N sticks with the asus w680 ipmi and can confirm memtest reports ecc enabled.
Thanks for the update. Would you mind providing a direct link to exactly what you bought? I'm seeing a lot of "hynix HMCG88MEBEA" offerings but many places leave off the last 4 numbers of the model #.

Alex_T0000

Aug 7, 2021
Thanks for the update. Would you mind providing a direct link to exactly what you bought? I'm seeing a lot of "hynix HMCG88MEBEA" offerings but many places leave off the last 4 numbers of the model #.
I'm still waiting to find a Core i5-13500, but can share that I pulled the trigger last night and ordered these here in Canada from PC-Canada.com for $254 CDN per stick. After doing a lot of research and reading spec sheets, I am comfortable that Micron would comply with JEDEC specs for these types of modules, so once I find a CPU, and build, I'll share my experience with this memory.

Part Number
MTC20C2085S1EC48BA1R
Description
Micron Semiconductor Products Ddr5 Ecc Udimm 32gb 2rx8 4800 Cl40 (single Pack)

target build is Pro WS680 ACE IPMI from ASUS - this ram is certified for the X13SAE / X13SAE-F / X13SAE-FO boards which are also based on WS680 from SuperMicro so I am going for it

Cheers

Reactions: AlOX and rootshell

Weapon

Oct 19, 2013
Interesting, I was using v10.0 will have to retest with v10.2 and see if I get the same result

It does look like some of these changes may be related

Reactions: Alex_T0000

Weapon

Oct 19, 2013
Has there ever been availability of the various Asrock boards with DDR4 and 1x PCI slot? If so I must have missed it.
The only W680 boards I've seen in the wild are the X13SAE, Asrock DDR5 boards, and the Asus. Wendell did a review of the Gigabyte board a while back but I've never seen it for sale.

Reactions: unwind-protect