LGA 1700 Alder Lake "Servers"

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Weapon

Oct 19, 2013
My board also has a pretty severe coil when where it's annoying to even sit next to it on an open bench. I may go back to the SM board. For all it's issues, mine has been stable once I got past the iGPU driver problem.

pd4ever

Jan 1, 2023
My board also has a pretty severe coil when where it's annoying to even sit next to it on an open bench. I may go back to the SM board. For all it's issues, mine has been stable once I got past the iGPU driver problem.
I haven't noticed any coil whine on my board but the 80mm fans on my hot swap bays are pretty loud. I need to figure out something with those eventually. Have you determined what component or area of the board the whine is coming from?

Weapon

Oct 19, 2013
I haven't noticed any coil whine on my board but the 80mm fans on my hot swap bays are pretty loud. I need to figure out something with those eventually. Have you determined what component or area of the board the whine is coming from?
No, I have a hard time localizing high pitch sounds like that.

If I had to guess I'd say the upper half of the board, not the PCH/chipset controller.

Last edited:

rootshell

Jan 10, 2021
So we're concluding that the SM Hynix ECC RAM doesn't work with the ASUS W680-ACE if you need ECC? Is that a fair assessment?

Weapon

Oct 19, 2013
So we're concluding that the SM Hynix ECC RAM doesn't work with the ASUS W680-ACE if you need ECC? Is that a fair assessment?
I don't think we can necessarily support that exact statement. I ran Memtest on a Gigabyte C246 system I have and it shows ECC as supported, but dmidecode only returns "single bit" for that system as well.

And there is still the matter that all CPUs on Asus QVL show ECC supported as "No" so I'm thinking/hoping it's a BIOS issue that will be resolved in an update.

Any other ways to test if ECC is enabled?

pd4ever

Jan 1, 2023
It's strange too that the Max Capacity is also being reported as 256GB when it should be 128GB.

This is 4 x 32GB SM Hynix ECC and Asus W680.
1674854360450.png

TrueNAS Dashboard shows ECC.
1674854417228.png

I couldn't find a single mention of Error Correction in the bios though after Weapon mentioned the same.

saf1

Nov 27, 2022
Just on a whim I went ahead and updated the BIOS again per SM supports recommendation. It shipped with 2.0 and that was the latest on their portal. Updating the BIOS did nothing. Doesn't matter if I use slot 7 or 4 for the LSI card I can only see the 8TB drive. Similar to what I see in the Bios when I select the SATA ports.

Since I'm reading a few people having success using the HBA cards and also large drives the only thing I can think of is that the motherboard I received is borked or I have a BIOS or jumper not set correctly. To rule out the drives I am swapping them out one by one with my existing array without issues. Crazy that my older X10 sees the drives.

1674866444873.png

oncdoc

Jan 24, 2023
I think Im going to skip on the ECC ram.

Perhaps go for something like https://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Technology-5200MT-Computer-KF552C40BBK2-64/dp/B09T9DMYRT?th=1

Plan is to build with the w680 motherboard a proxmox truenas system. I think I will go for the i5 13600k chip.

Plan is to stay diligent about backups and snapshots. When ECC memory is listed as compatible on the Asus w680 website for the motherboard I could consider it.

just my thoughts.

Reactions: Alex_T0000

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
When ECC memory is listed as compatible on the Asus w680 website for the motherboard I could consider it.
Kingston says not compatible
ASUS says not compatible.
just my thoughts.
will run with 1.1V at 4800

Alex_T0000

Aug 7, 2021
I don't think we can necessarily support that exact statement. I ran Memtest on a Gigabyte C246 system I have and it shows ECC as supported, but dmidecode only returns "single bit" for that system as well.

And there is still the matter that all CPUs on Asus QVL show ECC supported as "No" so I'm thinking/hoping it's a BIOS issue that will be resolved in an update.

Any other ways to test if ECC is enabled?
I run primarily on Windows - so my go to was Powershell... on my Xeon D system I ran the WMIC command and got the right status code which is (6) based on all the available codes.

wmic memphysical get memoryerrorcorrection

Result from my X10SDV system -> wmic memphysical get memoryerrorcorrection

MemoryErrorCorrection

Value Meaning
0 (0x0) Reserved

1 (0x1) Other

2 (0x2) Unknown

3 (0x3) None

4 (0x4) Parity

5 (0x5) Single-bit ECC

6 (0x6) Multi-bit ECC

7 (0x7) CRC

My current impression, based on something I read elsewhere for the SuperMicro W680 boards is that it will require a BIOS update before this is working correctly on the ASUS ACE WS680 boards. I had reached out to ASUS Support and am happy to share what they indicated to me.

*** paste from ASUS Support ***
We understand that you have an concern on the motherboard Pro WS W680-ACE IPMI ECC support.

We understand that this is frustrating and we want to assure you that we understand the importance of this issue. We are currently working with our Technical Support Department to determine the best next steps for resolution.

Based on our record we have 2 memory listed in the Asus support website for ECC compatible. here is the link. (replaced link provided by ASUS Support with my own from ASUS) -> Pro WS W680-ACE IPMI|Motherboards|ASUS Global

I will escalate the case to our technical team to verify if there is any information or plan to add more vendors to support ECC for this devices.

*** end paste ***

Based on my own experiences, what Intel is saying via the ARK pages for certain Alder Lake and Raptor Lake SKUs and their own W680 guidance for the chipset and the fact that ASUS themselves is distinguishing ECC UDIMM support as well as On-Die ECC (1bit) support on the product box itself suggests that multi-bit ECC is coming. The fact that the QVL guidance on ASUS' own support guide is indicating no-ECC on a bunch of these otherwise ECC capable processors really tells me that this is BIOS limitation and not chipset / memory / CPU related (unless not indicated as supported in ARK like Core i5-13400 for example).

Would someone be able to kindly confirm what the results are on their running W680 ASUS ACE (or other W680 builds) what their WMIC command results are? I'll gladly share my findings once I get my system running - still waiting for a Core i5-13500 to be available for purchase (starting to give up on being able to get a Core i5-13500T model in any shape or form in Canada (sigh)). I'm likely going to go with Innodisk ECC UDIMMs for my build unless I decide to just suck it up and go with on-die - but I just feel like it's not the use case I wanted, so I'll probably just suck it up.

command here for reference: wmic memphysical get memoryerrorcorrection

Cheers

Last edited:
Reactions: zettiness

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
Based on our record we have 2 memory listed in the Asus support website for ECC compatible. here is the link. Pro WS W680-ACE IPMI|Motherboards|ASUS Global
link not working, links to <tradetracker Oops, something went wrong there...>
Code:
https://www.asus.com/motherboards-components/motherboards/workstation/pro-ws-w680-ace-ipmi/helpdesk_qvl_memory/?model2Name=Pro-WS-W680-ACE-IPMI&xs=1&xtz=-60&xuuid=05e351595b1314047aeba5127a44b60d&xguid=7398cee6e21f513f975913c6d538cf62&xjsf=other_click__auxclick [2]

oncdoc

Jan 24, 2023
I run primarily on Windows - so my go to was Powershell... on my Xeon D system I ran the WMIC command and got the right status code which is (6) based on all the available codes.

MemoryErrorCorrection

Value Meaning
0 (0x0) Reserved

1 (0x1) Other

2 (0x2) Unknown

3 (0x3) None

4 (0x4) Parity

5 (0x5) Single-bit ECC

6 (0x6) Multi-bit ECC

7 (0x7) CRC

My current impression, based on something I read elsewhere for the SuperMicro W680 boards is that it will require a BIOS update before this is working correctly on the ASUS ACE WS680 boards. I had reached out to ASUS Support and am happy to share what they indicated to me.

We understand that you have an concern on the motherboard Pro WS W680-ACE IPMI ECC support.

We understand that this is frustrating and we want to assure you that we understand the importance of this issue. We are currently working with our Technical Support Department to determine the best next steps for resolution.

Based on our record we have 2 memory listed in the Asus support website for ECC compatible. here is the link. Pro WS W680-ACE IPMI|Motherboards|ASUS Global

I will escalate the case to our technical team to verify if there is any information or plan to add more vendors to support ECC for this devices.

*** end paste ***

Based on my own experiences, what Intel is saying via the ARK pages for certain Alder Lake and Raptor Lake SKUs and their own W680 guidance for the chipset and the fact that ASUS themselves is distinguishing ECC UDIMM support as well as On-Die ECC (1bit) support on the product box itself suggests that multi-bit ECC is coming. The fact that the QVL guidance on ASUS' own support guide is indicating no-ECC on a bunch of these otherwise ECC capable processors really tells me that this is BIOS limitation and not chipset / memory / CPU related (unless not indicated as supported in ARK like Core i5-13400 for example).

Would someone be able to kindly confirm what the results are on their running W680 ASUS ACE (or other W680 builds) what their WMIC command results are? I'll gladly share my findings once I get my system running - still waiting for a Core i5-13500 to be available for purchase (starting to give up on being able to get a Core i5-13500T model in any shape or form in Canada (sigh)). I'm likely going to go with Innodisk ECC UDIMMs for my build unless I decide to just suck it up and go with on-die - but I just feel like it's not the use case I wanted, so I'll probably just suck it up.

Cheers
can you run the k 13600 i5 under at 65 watts or whatever your needs may be? thats what i was going to do.

Weapon

Oct 19, 2013

MemoryErrorCorrection

Value Meaning
0 (0x0) Reserved

1 (0x1) Other

2 (0x2) Unknown

3 (0x3) None

4 (0x4) Parity

5 (0x5) Single-bit ECC

6 (0x6) Multi-bit ECC

7 (0x7) CRC

*** end paste ***

Cheers
This is interesting since the same command only gives me “5” on 2 other systems that should be 100% ECC enabled (X10SLM with Xeon and C246 board with Xeon). Also the C246 system shows ECC “enabled” according to Memtest.

I was under the impression all ECC was only capable of correcting single bit errors and that multi bit referred to OS reporting of uncorrectable errors (extraordinarily rare).

Alex_T0000

Aug 7, 2021
link not working, links to <tradetracker Oops, something went wrong there...>
Code:
https://www.asus.com/motherboards-components/motherboards/workstation/pro-ws-w680-ace-ipmi/helpdesk_qvl_memory/?model2Name=Pro-WS-W680-ACE-IPMI&xs=1&xtz=-60&xuuid=05e351595b1314047aeba5127a44b60d&xguid=7398cee6e21f513f975913c6d538cf62&xjsf=other_click__auxclick [2]
Thanks - have to admit, surprised the link from ASUS support was incorrect - fixed now - cheers.

Alex_T0000

Aug 7, 2021
can you run the k 13600 i5 under at 65 watts or whatever your needs may be? thats what i was going to do.
Great question! funny story, since I have been on AMD Ryzen for sometime on my desktops (1700X / X370 -> 5800X / X570) I have gotten used to all the power plans associated with Ryzen. On my own server/lab box (X10SDV-4C-TLN2F - Xeon D - 1521) I have never had to think about or mess around with power plans.

When I read about the latest 12th and 13th Gen LGA1700 Intel CPUs I only see two real paths - Intel Extreme Tuning Utility (works only on the K / KF gear like your 13600K) OR the Throttlestop application. One thing I don't want to really do is under volt, even if it does save power. What I have been trying to do is approximate the total platform power of my X10SDV (45W Total Platform Power with CPU) - which I know is literally impossible give the ASUS WS680 ACE is an ATX board, but I figured, if I could snag a T series CPU, I can bring this total power to around 86W-90W when the CPU is maxed out. I'll never save the energy that I do with my Xeon D - but - I know that I will have tons of compute power in comparison.

If you discover a way to run the i5 13600K so it consumes T level CPU power, let me know what you uncover.

These are the figures for the i5 - 13500T (from Intel ARK)

Processor Base Power - 35 W
Maximum Turbo Power - 92 W

vs. i5 - 13600K

Processor Base Power - 125 W
Maximum Turbo Power - 181 W

I get the sense that the T series is silicon that is not only binned to consume lower power, but is actually very efficient silicon - because the power consumption for a system that is running 24/7 can get quite high even at my max 15.6 cents per kWh.

Maybe a bit unscientific or perhaps even laughably inaccurate - but I used the following calculator available on this site to compare the CPUs - note the 13600T here since they don't have any data for 13500 - also note my Xeon D in here too. :)

My running cost per year is definitely higher on my Xeon already since it has lots of disk, but I will do what I can to save some $$$ and the CPU TDP / Watts seems like a decent place to try and save some electricity if I can.