LGA 1700 Alder Lake "Servers"

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

saf1

Nov 27, 2022
I do not have that exact RAID card, but my HighPoint 4520 which is also an PCIE-2 x8 like yours and I had the same kind of issue, it only works in the 1st x16 slot and not in the 2nd x16 slot. I suspected it was due to how the bifurcation works on them 2 slots and trying to use an very old PCIE2 card.

Regardless it has not caused a problem, and everything works ok with the RAID card.
Do you mind if I ask what BIOS version you are using? Probably doesn't matter but figured I'd ask. I'm running 2.0. That is how it came from the factory. Support asked me to reflash it but not sure how I can do that since I do not have a license. I tried booting usb via freedos but didn't work.

saf1

Nov 27, 2022
Also worth noting, I have both x16 slots filled, one with the 9400-16i (EFI), and another with an Intel X710 OCP+PCIe adapter (EFI).
Forgot to ask - what size drives are you using? It appears that maybe the board doesn't support the WD 16 TB drive I have.

Ran a test earlier today and using SATA port 1 connected a WD 8 TB red, powered on, enter BIOS, and see it. Powered down, disconnected the SATA cable from the 8 TB Red and moved it, and power cable, to the 16 TB drive and the BIOS doesn't see it. So 8 TB drive works, moved cables to 16 TB and it doesn't see it.

Almighty

Oct 27, 2019
Forgot to ask - what size drives are you using? It appears that maybe the board doesn't support the WD 16 TB drive I have.

Ran a test earlier today and using SATA port 1 connected a WD 8 TB red, powered on, enter BIOS, and see it. Powered down, disconnected the SATA cable from the 8 TB Red and moved it, and power cable, to the 16 TB drive and the BIOS doesn't see it. So 8 TB drive works, moved cables to 16 TB and it doesn't see it.
I don't use onboard sata. I use an LSI HBA. I did test a couple sata3 ssds on the sata ports but they were 400gb each.

saf1

Nov 27, 2022
I don't use onboard sata. I use an LSI HBA. I did test a couple sata3 ssds on the sata ports but they were 400gb each.
Thanks for info. I've been working with Supermicro support and it would appear that the motherboard on board SATA ports do not support some larger capacity drives. For example I am not able to see WD 16 or 10 TB drives but can see 8 TB. Their opinion is that the board is working as intended but I am using non supported (tested) hard drives. Going to return / replace the LSI card and give it another go before replacing the board.

In the mean time I'll look into the Gigabyte and Asus boards and see if either can use the memory I purchased ( Hynix HMCG88MEBEA Memory 32GB DDR5 4800MHz UDIMM MEM-DR532L-HL01-EU48 32GB DDR5 4800MHz). If so then I'll probably return the Supermicro board and try one of these.

If anyone here has the board and is using large capacity drives on the SATA ports that would be good to know.

Almighty

Oct 27, 2019
Thanks for info. I've been working with Supermicro support and it would appear that the motherboard on board SATA ports do not support some larger capacity drives. For example I am not able to see WD 16 or 10 TB drives but can see 8 TB. Their opinion is that the board is working as intended but I am using non supported (tested) hard drives. Going to return / replace the LSI card and give it another go before replacing the board.

In the mean time I'll look into the Gigabyte and Asus boards and see if either can use the memory I purchased ( Hynix HMCG88MEBEA Memory 32GB DDR5 4800MHz UDIMM MEM-DR532L-HL01-EU48 32GB DDR5 4800MHz). If so then I'll probably return the Supermicro board and try one of these.

If anyone here has the board and is using large capacity drives on the SATA ports that would be good to know.
I just tested this for you - my 14tb WD14EDGZ drive registered fine and smart status came through Linux. Standard SATA cable plugged into first SATA port on the mb.

Reactions: Alex_T0000 and saf1

saf1

Nov 27, 2022
I just tested this for you - my 14tb WD14EDGZ drive registered fine and smart status came through Linux. Standard SATA cable plugged into first SATA port on the mb.

Thanks. Very helpful. You are also running 2.0 bios?

Kiririn

Apr 7, 2022
Got a 13700K up and running in X13SAE-F. I used 2 sticks of this ECC RAM, which turned out to be Kingston KSM48E40BS8KM-16HM

Observations so far:
  • VRM capable of maxxing out an air cooler, once power limits adjusted. If VRM temperature sensor can be trusted, they run remarkably cool (50c under load in a sound dampened aka poorly ventilated case)
  • Seeing some IPMI crashes on S3 sleep, seems to lose sensor information. Sometimes resulting in spurious loud CPU temperature alarm, and sometimes resulting in fans stuck at low speed. (Worked around by resetting BMC on S3 wake)
  • Fan curves are not good (functional but annoying) and no way to adjust. Will probably look into scripting something via IPMI or buying a USB fan controller
  • Thermal throttling results in beeps/alarms, even at quite reasonable temperatures. (Worked around by removing JD1 jumper)
  • IPMI does not support shared mode - must use the dedicated NIC
  • Provisioned the AMT but could not get access to it from outside the machine itself, and power control did not work. First time using AMT so could be my mistake
Overall a decent board, workarounds possible for all issues
Update on this:
  • IPMI sensor/fan control crashes are pretty much 100% repro on S3 wake, but resolved by running 'ipmitool mc reset cold' from task scheduler on s3 wake. I would be amazed if this is not fixed in a future update with how easy it is to reproduce
  • Seeing an occasional failure (<10% repro) to resume from S3 sleep. Windows Hybrid Sleep keeps this from resulting in data loss, but not ideal. Possibly same root cause as the next point
  • Some SATA concerns - seems picky on SATA cable, and even after fitting a bend-free supermicro branded cable, still seeing occasional boot hangs on AHCI init (near 100% repro on previous known-good cable) and/or not recognising the attached drive. Based on another poster having issues with certain hard drives, I suspect some aspect of the SATA system is marginal
  • Fan control works the same as on previous Supermicro X10,X11,X12 boards (see https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?resources/supermicro-x9-x10-x11-fan-speed-control.20/). I've added support for this IPMI fan control technique to LibreHardwareMonitor, hopefully coming to a public release of that and Fan Control soon

Last edited:

steve0

Jan 19, 2023
Hi, I'm looking for DDR-5 ECC RAM for the Asus Pro WS W680-ACE IPMI. The QVL only lists ECC support for Innodisk:

M5CV-AGS2LC0P-B (16G)
M5CV-BGS2MC0P-B (32G)

So, I wonder if anyone has tested modules from other manufacturers to confirm compatibility. Thanks

rootshell

Jan 10, 2021
As I've yet to see an Asus W680-Ace for sale anywhere, I highly doubt anyone here has one to test on.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
IPMI sensor/fan control crashes are pretty much 100% repro on S3 wake, but resolved by running 'ipmitool mc reset cold' from task scheduler on s3 wake. I would be amazed if this is not fixed in a future update with how easy it is to reproduce
is S3 official supported ? this is a architectural problem with BMC, wake from S3 runs not thru normal UEFI init.

cdru

Oct 27, 2018
That may not matter I guess in the end since support says I can't use the LSI card in the PCIe x16 slot.
SM Support lied to you.

It took way to long to figure it out, and I'm kind of embarrassed it took as long as it did to do so. But I found a simple trick to get a HBA to work in slot 4. Put a different adapter in slot 7 first. Don't have or need for another card? Then put your HBA in slot 7.

<rant>
This WTF-type functionality is just last in a long list of disappointments I've had with my X13SAE-F. I've gone from excited to buy it to pretty disgusted with it's overall quality, design, and support. My original board was defective, although was replaced without issue. At the time, it wasn't mentioned anywhere that a 12th gen CPU was required to flash the BIOS to support 13th gen CPUs. It also only stated that bios 2.0 was required to support 13th gen CPUs, but failed to mention that 2.0 wasn't even released.

The IMPI is slow, major options aren't available that are available with other product lines. No flashing of the BIOS, only the BMC firmware. Many screens have no usable information, or of very limited value. The only thing that's of any real use is the remote KVM. Even that though is a PITA to use. Typing it in frequently acts like a key is stuck even if you barely tapped a key, or unresponsive for several seconds as if you never pressed a key. If you're lucky, both happen and you get nothing followed by several dozen letters, numbers, backspaces, etc. as if you never pressed the key...I've noticed is buggy, requiring physical access to correct some issues.

Kiririn was being nice with his comments regarding the fan speed control. Compared to any "gamer" or "enthusiast" grade board I've used in probably the last decade, it's fan control options are absolute shit.

The board is very clearly NOT a server-grade board, but it's also very clearly not a workstation-grade board either. I'd quit a job if I was given it as a workstation sitting on a desk in an office. I would be embarrassed if I was SuperMicro asking ~$450 for this. I'm even more embarrassed to say that I paid that. But even now several months later, there's still not a readily available option that supports 12/13th gen CPUs and ECC memory.
</rant>

glow

Mar 22, 2022
SM Support lied to you.

It took way to long to figure it out, and I'm kind of embarrassed it took as long as it did to do so. But I found a simple trick to get a HBA to work in slot 4. Put a different adapter in slot 7 first. Don't have or need for another card? Then put your HBA in slot 7.

<rant>
This WTF-type functionality is just last in a long list of disappointments I've had with my X13SAE-F. I've gone from excited to buy it to pretty disgusted with it's overall quality, design, and support. My original board was defective, although was replaced without issue. At the time, it wasn't mentioned anywhere that a 12th gen CPU was required to flash the BIOS to support 13th gen CPUs. It also only stated that bios 2.0 was required to support 13th gen CPUs, but failed to mention that 2.0 wasn't even released.

The IMPI is slow, major options aren't available that are available with other product lines. No flashing of the BIOS, only the BMC firmware. Many screens have no usable information, or of very limited value. The only thing that's of any real use is the remote KVM. Even that though is a PITA to use. Typing it in frequently acts like a key is stuck even if you barely tapped a key, or unresponsive for several seconds as if you never pressed a key. If you're lucky, both happen and you get nothing followed by several dozen letters, numbers, backspaces, etc. as if you never pressed the key...I've noticed is buggy, requiring physical access to correct some issues.

Kiririn was being nice with his comments regarding the fan speed control. Compared to any "gamer" or "enthusiast" grade board I've used in probably the last decade, it's fan control options are absolute shit.

The board is very clearly NOT a server-grade board, but it's also very clearly not a workstation-grade board either. I'd quit a job if I was given it as a workstation sitting on a desk in an office. I would be embarrassed if I was SuperMicro asking ~$450 for this. I'm even more embarrassed to say that I paid that. But even now several months later, there's still not a readily available option that supports 12/13th gen CPUs and ECC memory.
</rant>
From the manual:

Note 1: When using 2x8 configuration, the first eight lane device must use lanes 0-7.
Note 2: It is required to use SLOT4 with an eight lane device installed in SLOT 7

Page 16.

cdru

Oct 27, 2018
From the manual:

Note 1: When using 2x8 configuration, the first eight lane device must use lanes 0-7.
Note 2: It is required to use SLOT4 with an eight lane device installed in SLOT 7

Page 16.
In my defense, read the manual? Pfft. Like who does that?!?

Seriously though, I didn't see that. It would have been better placed if the note was several bullets up, right under the bullet for that slot, or to have an asterisk or footnote number/letter. Where it's at now it looks like it'd be for m.2 ports.

I also had searched for "PORT7" as that's the convention they use throughout the document...except the one spot in that note that has it as "SLOT 7".

Regardless, even with the note, it's not accurate or at least poorly worded:
- With just the HBA and no additional cards, I'm not running it in 2x8 configuration. I'm just running it in 1x8.

- PORT7 isn't REQUIRED to have a 8-lane card in it to use PORT4. I booted Ubuntu 18.04 Server with only a card in SLOT4 and it worked (though other unrelated systems had issues). I also currently still have the HBA in PORT4 with a 4-lane m.2 to pcie adapter in PORT7.

Yeah both instances are technicalities. But it's a technical manual. It's not that hard to be accurate. "PORT7 must be populated before PORT4 can be used" or something similar would cover both notes and how it actually functions.

It also doesn't change the fact that the HBA DOES work in PORT4 when support said it couldn't.

Reactions: RedX1

rootshell

Jan 10, 2021
I'm seeing the ASUS W680-ACE board listed as in stock at a few non-authorized online resellers including Provantage. Guessing they're all affiliated as they are reporting the exact same number in stock across several websites. Holding out for something more legit.

Last edited:

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
Guessing they're all affiliated as they are reporting the exact same number in stock across several websites
its usual the manufacturer hold a central storage in some regions.
if i buy a SM board in europe its mostly shipped form SM Netherlands.

Weapon

Oct 19, 2013
FYI I got “shipping” notification on my Asus board today from bhphoto, said it has been sent to manufacturer for direct shipment. Hmm

rootshell

Jan 10, 2021
FYI I got “shipping” notification on my Asus board today from bhphoto, said it has been sent to manufacturer for direct shipment. Hmm
Yea, I'm on the fence of whether I should place an order on B&H now or wait for the In Stock status to change, or become available at another reputable reseller.