LGA 1700 Alder Lake "Servers"

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
Thanks for sharing that image and link, I'll check it out!
i use still a x99/C612 board which supports with intel core processor only UDIMM, also UDIMM ECC but in nonECC mode.
currently i have installed a Xeon E5-1650v3 and can use UDIMM/UDIMM ECC and RDIMM ECC. if the RAM slots are fully wired this is possible if the CPU supports it.

Reactions: Alex_T0000

unwind-protect

Mar 7, 2016
Boston

saf1

Nov 27, 2022
Hi everyone - just dropping a quick note as I received word from Supermicro support with regards to updating my board to support the new Intel 13900k cpu. Their reply was based on my serial number of the motherboard it already has a R 2.0 bios which can support the Intel i9-13900K CPU.

I thought my son had a spare 12th gen Intel that I could use but when I saw he didn't I reached out to Supermicro via a ticket asking how I could RMA / update. I can't power up to verify as I'm still waiting on memory to arrive. Hopefully this week.

rootshell

Jan 10, 2021
I'm searching daily, and yes, it seems most retailers are listing the non-IPMI at a higher price than the IPMI. Not sure why, or if that price will hold.

e97

Jun 3, 2015
Which W680 boards support DDR4 ECC UDIMM?

It seems only the Asrock Industrial motherboard supports DDR4

The Supermicro and Asus are DDR5

Last edited:

Alex_T0000

Aug 7, 2021
i use still a x99/C612 board which supports with intel core processor only UDIMM, also UDIMM ECC but in nonECC mode.
currently i have installed a Xeon E5-1650v3 and can use UDIMM/UDIMM ECC and RDIMM ECC. if the RAM slots are fully wired this is possible if the CPU supports it.
Thanks! that is what I was wondering about, if the CPU supports Registered DIMMs then I guess then the only other potential risk or consideration is ensuring it's on the QVL for the motherboard.

Waiting for this new ASUS board, and then i'll make a decision as to which direction to go in.

saf1

Nov 27, 2022
Sort of a dumb question but to those of you using the Supermicro X13SAE-F board does it matter which PCI slot you use for the LSI raid card? Similar question for the M2 / ssd? With regards to the M2 slot I used the one that had a m1 reference as the others are m2 and m3 respectively.

saf1

Nov 27, 2022
My Supermicro X13SAE-F was indeed running the 2.0 Bios. It booted up easy enough running the Intel i9-13900K CPU and was able to install Ubuntu Server. Only issue I have at the moment is user error in that I can't flash my LSI 9300-8i to IT mode. I can't say if it is running at full speed since all I did was install the OS. Will run some more tests once I figure out the card to build the zfs pool(s).

Leondre

Apr 3, 2017
I went in for 2 of the asus w680 ipmi variants when they went up on b&h, but haven't been able to decide on what ram yet as the only ones on the qvl don't seem to be available anywhere. What are you guys looking at for ram?

saf1

Nov 27, 2022
I am using the Supermicro X13SAE-F motherboard and went with 2 x Hynix HMCG88MEBEA Memory 32GB DDR5 4800MHz UDIMM MEM-DR532L-HL01-EU48 32GB DDR5 4800MHz sticks. I've not run any memory tests but so far what I've done it works well. Linux distro is Ubuntu 20.04 LTS server.

Getting the motherboard to see any SATA hard drives is proving the challenge. I don't see them even at the BIOS layer. SATA, LSI 9300-8i (flashed IT). At a loss as I only see the M.2 ssd used for installation. I'm sure it is a user error or setting just not sure what it is. Overall hot and cold on the board. Waiting to see what Supermicro suggests.

saf1

Nov 27, 2022
Quick update if anyone is considering the Supermicro X13SAE-F take a look at the supported hard drives. I am using WD 160EDGZ and they are saying they are not tested by the lab. I have six installed but it only sees 1. I took a drive and placed it in my older X11SSh-CTF server and it sees it fine oddly enough.

Also they noted it doesn't support any storage controller card on the PCIe x16 slot. I did see the LSI 9300-8i card but also only saw 1 drive. To me it seems like there is an issue and it isn't a BIOS setting. I updated the ticket and will see what they think. I may have to see if I can return the board and get the ASUS if it is available in the US.

saf1

Nov 27, 2022
can you access the LSI settings on the Card ?
its not unusual that drives behind a RAID controller are hidden.
I was not able to boot successfully into FreeDos / USB to check. I tried several times building USB drive and I can't boot into from the boot menu. It doesn't see it. I then tried through the EFI shell to run sas2flash but it gave an odd error so gave up on that.

I moved the card to my Windows desktop and ran the sas2flash windows and saw the card, verified it was in IT mode, also updated firmware then moved back to the X13sae with no luck. Windows reboot allowed me to control-c and access the LSI card. So I know that is good.

The problem for me seems to be hard drive related which I haven't seen. This is for home use by my current NAS server, Supermicro X11SSH-CTF with its onboard controller never had this problem. The odd part is I can take a drive that the X13 doesn't see, take a drive out of the current ZFS pool, and it sees it.

I'm not sure if it is something I'm doing (very possible) or if the board is borked. That may not matter I guess in the end since support says I can't use the LSI card in the PCIe x16 slot. I assumed, incorrectly, that it would be backward compatible but maybe it isn't. Not sure what option I have not that I can see other disks anyway.

Edit: I did not try and install Windows server. I could try that and see if that does anything. Not sure which one I can try via trial as I do not run it. I will take a look and see if that will do anything. Windows 2016 or 19?

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
--
hat may not matter I guess in the end since support says I can't use the LSI card in the PCIe x16 slot
probably the BIOS/UEFI does not search this slots for Bootdrives because this slot is preferred for GPU use.