LGA 1700 Alder Lake "Servers"

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

saf1

Nov 27, 2022
Does the X13SAE-F require any special fan when using the Intel 13900k? I have the Noctua NH-CS14s and according to their portal it will work if I pick up the mounting kit which is nice. However it notes: low turbo/overclocking headroom

I'm not over clocking the CPU since it is mostly a ZFS server but it will run Plex and some transcoding will happen. Not sure if that will be via the Intel imbedded GPU or the Nvidia Qudro P400 that I have. I do not know how the Intel 13900K works in Turbo mode and do not want to push any thermals.

Thanks for any tips.

rootshell

Jan 10, 2021
its not overclocked/overvoltaged memory. its JEDEC, should be no matter what vendor the chips are.
if the SPD contains timings which not work properly even a samsung chip will fail.
Agree, they should work. I just get nervous ordering $400 worth of RAM that's not on their QVL and is not returnable.

Does the X13SAE-F require any special fan when using the Intel 13900k? I have the Noctua NH-CS14s and according to their portal it will work if I pick up the mounting kit which is nice. However it notes: low turbo/overclocking headroom
I think many have seen thermal throttling, yes, esp during benchmark testing. I'm considering an AIO, same usage as you... ZFS with some Dockers/VMs, possibly using TrueNAS Scale Bluefin that just released. Just need to see what I can do within a SM846 4U rackmount case.

Reactions: Alex_T0000

saf1

Nov 27, 2022
I think many have seen thermal throttling, yes, esp during benchmark testing. I'm considering an AIO, same usage as you... ZFS with some Dockers/VMs, possibly using TrueNAS Scale Bluefin that just released. Just need to see what I can do within a SM846 4U rackmount case.
Ok, thanks for the information. Sounds like I should look at a more proper fan for the CPU and case fitting. I would like to avoid throttling if possible. My guess is if I let the CPU's GPU do the transcoding it would throttle if not proper.

I'll check to see what Noctua has relates for that socket.

Reactions: Alex_T0000

saf1

Nov 27, 2022
I couldn’t get full performance out of my 13900K on the X13SAE
I recall reading that earlier but I wasn't sure if that was still the case or a bios limit until it was addressed in the latest version. Apologies if I missed it. I do have the board in route along with the CPU and memory. I will need to get a new CPU fan but once that is done I can throw it together.

If I remember correctly you dropped down to the previous gen CPU and it worked fine though, correct? I may have that as an option although I don't remember if the Intel i7 13700K uses the same socket. My son has one sitting on his desk as he was awaiting parts. He probably wouldn't care about the swap :)

saf1

Nov 27, 2022
13700K I get full performance, 13900K I didn’t

both with 2.0 BIOS
That is good to know since I'll have access to that CPU. Stupid question - would the OS make any difference? I'll be running Ubuntu Linux.

Weapon

Oct 19, 2013
Not sure. I didn’t test under Linux. I got a great deal on the 13700K and I’m not using the e cores anyway so it all worked out to just “downgrade”.

saf1

Nov 27, 2022
Not sure. I didn’t test under Linux. I got a great deal on the 13700K and I’m not using the e cores anyway so it all worked out to just “downgrade”.
Makes sense. I'll have to do some reading and see if it is noted for Linux users or how I could measure. Or don't waste my time and just use the 13700k. Anything will be an upgrade from my current system which is running on an older X11SSH-CTF and Intel Xeon E3-1270 v5 system.

Edit: btw - thank you!

Almighty

Oct 27, 2019
Welp, ordered an X13SAE-F from Newegg and it'll be here in a couple days. I assume it's coming with an old BIOS so that's gonna be a pain to figure out how to upgrade it to 2.0 for the i7-13700k.

Almighty

Oct 27, 2019
don't they have a BIOS update service ? many sellers at my location have.
I didn't see any options for that or any reference to BIOS version, so figured I'm rolling the dice. My failback is to pay local shop $40 to do it or ship it for $20 and RMA the thing to Supermicro.

Last edited:

saf1

Nov 27, 2022
There is no way to update the bios as a normal home user? Seems odd although I understand it is a server board vs. home PC. Still should be a way to download the bios and install.

Edit: what CPU's are supported with the shipped bios?

Almighty

Oct 27, 2019
There is no way to update the bios as a normal home user? Seems odd although I understand it is a server board vs. home PC. Still should be a way to download the bios and install.

Edit: what CPU's are supported with the shipped bios?
only if you have a 12th gen alder lake cpu handy, which i don't. no support for bios update through IPMI either.

saf1

Nov 27, 2022
only if you have a 12th gen alder lake cpu handy, which i don't. no support for bios update through IPMI either.
Ah, ok. I think that was noted earlier and I "incorrectly" assumed the 13700k would allow it. So a 12xxxk is needed. I would fall into that same boat then :D Ok need to think on this a bit since it could be sent with v1.0 bios or something that won't work.