LGA 1700 Alder Lake "Servers"

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

zer0sum

Mar 8, 2013
I've decided to go with a plain X13SAE and forget about BMC/IPMI as this will be my main workstation so don't really need remote management
What's the advantage to using an X13SAE vs the myriad of consumer boards you could use?

rootshell

Jan 10, 2021
looks like we have to wait a week or two for sae-f raptor lake bios.
FYI - Looks like the R 2.0 BIOS is published.

Looking at the manual, it appears you need an Alder Lake CPU installed on the MB in order to install the R 2.0 BIOS that supports Raptor Lake. How are people running RL handling this? Maybe we need a STH "group" Alder Lake CPU we can share across members of the forum as a loaner. :) But seriously, this kinda sucks if now need to buy 2 CPUs. I highly doubt Microcenter would let me borrow an AL CPU for an hour.

Last edited:

Kiririn

Apr 7, 2022
I've decided to go with a plain X13SAE and forget about BMC/IPMI as this will be my main workstation so don't really need remote management
Should still have IPMI equivalent functionality via AMT. I'm buying the non-F board to have the best of both worlds between IPMI-like management and fan control

Kiririn

Apr 7, 2022

Looking at the manual, it appears you need an Alder Lake CPU installed on the MB in order to install the R 2.0 BIOS that supports Raptor Lake. How are people running RL handling this? Maybe we need a STH "group" Alder Lake CPU we can share across members of the forum as a loaner. :) But seriously, this kinda sucks if now need to buy 2 CPUs. I highly doubt Microcenter would let me borrow an AL CPU for an hour.
Celeron G6900 looks to be the best bet for this. I'm hoping 13th gen will work enough to install the 2.0 bios, but if not the G6900 is my backup plan

Weapon

Oct 19, 2013

Buy a cheap used chip and resell it

mirrormax

Apr 10, 2020
Can confirm there doesn't seem to be a bios update option in BMC, only BMC firmware update.
No shops with good return policies where you live?
Here we get 14days by law to return products!

rootshell

Jan 10, 2021
I think I'm going to place my order for the SM X13SAE-F and RAM today. This looks to be the best match for my home sever needs, all things considered. Looks like the price of that RAM at Wiredzone also dropped a few bucks, down to $193, still expensive!

Curious, are others in this thread using this platform for home server needs? If so, what OS are you using (or planning)? I think my plan is to pair this MB with a 13700k, disable the E cores, and either run TrueNAS Scale, or a DIY Ubuntu "perfect media server" heavy on ZFS and Docker, or maybe a container-focused distro like RancherOS... or maybe ESXi on bare iron with various VMs, though I'd like to use ZFS for my NAS needs. TrueNAS Scale seems to be most obvious fit - just not sure the maturity, stability and hardware support is there yet.

chenxiaolong

Nov 16, 2020
I think I'm going to place my order for the SM X13SAE-F and RAM today. This looks to be the best match for my home sever needs, all things considered. Looks like the price of that RAM at Wiredzone also dropped a few bucks, down to $193, still expensive!

Curious, are others in this thread using this platform for home server needs? If so, what OS are you using (or planning)? I think my plan is to pair this MB with a 13700k, disable the E cores, and either run TrueNAS Scale, or a DIY Ubuntu "perfect media server" heavy on ZFS and Docker, or maybe a container-focused distro like RancherOS... or maybe ESXi on bare iron with various VMs, though I'd like to use ZFS for my NAS needs. TrueNAS Scale seems to be most obvious fit - just not sure the maturity, stability and hardware support is there yet.
That's the hardware I'm currently using (except with a 12600k initially to do the BIOS update and then with a 13600k). I run plain old Fedora with zfs and libvirt/kvm. Everything else is in a VM and I just share folders via virtiofs (libvirt setting) to give them access to storage. I didn't bother disabling the E cores. I don't run anything where scheduling issues would be a problem.

Reactions: rootshell

Weapon

Oct 19, 2013
This is sorta getting off topic for this thread but since this is a relatively niche area and not many boards out there, I will post here.

I got my DDR5 ECC and 12900K setup with the plain X13SAE earlier this week and after I installed Windows I started having BSODs shortly after boot.

This was an older version of Windows so I decided to do a clean install of the latest Windows 11 build and manually install drivers. I left Ethernet unplugged and did chipset drivers, LAN drivers, and iGPU drivers from a USB drive. I had it running for a couple days with the 12900K. Hadn’t really done anything but a few tests and windows updates. Windows update did update the iGPU driver to a new version but still seemed to be working.

Today I swapped in the 13900K, Windows booted up with a non-native resolution like it didn’t have a GPU driver. Then after a few seconds auto adjusted and changed to full resolution. That’s when the BSODs started happening again.
I tried swapping in an old dGPU I had laying around but the board won’t even boot with that installed (get 5x long error beeps).
So I suppose next step is to repeat the windows install process again with the 13900K?

Attachments

Weapon

Oct 19, 2013
something yo have to do in the meantime of guessing. is that a problem to make a fresh install now ?
No just figured I would ask so that if there is another proposed fix I could try that before nuking this install

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
No just figured I would ask so that if there is another proposed fix I could try that before nuking this install
BSOD with immediately shutdown makes thinking about a hardware issue, PSU too weak or similar.
try to disable turbo-boost and check if BSOD remain.

Kiririn

Apr 7, 2022

Normally I would say to look up the parameters from bluescreenview against the documentation, but for this BSOD it's basically useless Bug Check 0xEF CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED - Windows drivers

The CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED bug check has a value of 0x000000EF. This indicates that a critical system process died.
Built in Windows critical system services include csrss.exe, wininit.exe, logonui.exe, smss.exe, services.exe, conhost.exe, and winlogon.exe.
Combined with the other symptoms I would say likely you are hitting some GPU driver issue that is causing one of these processes (probably csrss.exe) to crash. Whether this has its origins in a hardware fault is another question