LGA 1700 Alder Lake "Servers"

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

custom90gt

Nov 17, 2016
X13SAE/-F is categorized as "Workstation" not "Server" by Supermicro. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect the iGPU to work out of the box. Would be curious what anyone else thinks. Also I ordered the Asrock W680 board to test, will see if it behaves the same.
I would go a step further and say regardless of the class of the motherboard, if it has the ports on the board, it should work.

Reactions: Weapon

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
I would go a step further and say regardless of the class of the motherboard, if it has the ports on the board, it should work.
it works, the BMC intregrated vga is taken, but the 'user' don't have a simple VGA display.

Weapon

Oct 19, 2013
JPG1 VGA Enable/Disable (X13SAE-F only) Pins 1-2 (Enabled)
Changing this jumper settings doesn't seem to affect the video output issue. Regardless of the jumper position, if primary video in the BIOS is set to "AUTO" there is no output from the onboard HDMI or DP ports.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
Changing this jumper settings doesn't seem to affect the video output issue. Regardless of the jumper position, if primary video in the BIOS is set to "AUTO" there is no output from the onboard HDMI or DP ports.
you have to unpower the BMC (remove AC from PSU to take effect. if you still get no picture in OS RMA the board, this is not normal.
or just wait for the R2.0 BIOS - maybe a fix in it.

Last edited:

Weapon

Oct 19, 2013
you have to unpower the BMC (remove AC from PSU to take effect. if you still get no picture in OS RMA the board, this is not normal.
or just wait for the R2.0 BIOS - maybe a fix in it.
Yep no difference. Will see if new BIOS fixes it.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
Yep no difference. Will see if new BIOS fixes it.
have checked the default settings, same than in 13SAE. atm the priority is on PEG.
mmmm. they can not use iGPU as default because there are CPU without. they can not use PEG as default because the user may not have....

bambi123

Oct 12, 2022
yes you can disable E cores in Bios for X13SAE-F

But damn i didnt know HyperV had issues with E cores... anyone know if they is a fix... my google search so far suggests the issue still exists
So got the X13SAE-F in today, installed Server 2019 - and surprise surprise - Hyper-V seems to be working ok without messing around with anything - I have left the E-Cores enabled, and do not see any problems.

Another good thing has been the Intel LAN Drivers version 27.6.1 installed the drivers ok for the onboard LAN's - no hacking the drivers to get them to install. All the other drivers installed ok (Intel GPU, Alder Lake Inf's, Aspeed GPU Drivers, and my own Highpoint RAID, Solarflare LAN drivers).

The negatives so far, FAN control is rubbish, so will have to learn how to use ipmitool.

Also cannot find drivers for PCI Serial Post, PCI Simple Comms Controller, and Communication Port (COM1). If anyone can help with that.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
Also cannot find drivers for PCI Serial Post, PCI Simple Comms Controller, and Communication Port (COM1).
Vendor / Device IDs please.
tried windows update ?
PCI Simple Comms Controller ist mostly include in the chipset drivers (intel INF)
or the MEI / TXE device driver

Last edited:

bambi123

Oct 12, 2022
I installed the chipset INF set already, windows update is not finding anything..

VEN_8086&DEV_7AEB&SUBSYS_1C4815D9

VEN_8086&DEV_7AE8&SUBSYS_1C4815D9

nabsltd

Jan 26, 2022
So got the X13SAE-F in today, installed Server 2019 - and surprise surprise - Hyper-V seems to be working ok without messing around with anything - I have left the E-Cores enabled, and do not see any problems.
You likely won't see "problems" as in "not working", but you might see weird performance issues. For example, the Win10 implementation of the mixed-core driver is pretty naïve, and will simply assign any thread with priority lower than "Normal" to an E-core, and "Normal" and higher get P-cores.

This means that any process that tries to say "hey, I don't want to disturb you if you are doing something serious" and lowers its thread priority will never be able to take advantage of the power of the P-cores, even if there are P-cores doing nothing. I do this all the time when I am encoding video, and set the priority lower. Without mixed cores, this allows me to keep using the computer without really noticing that the encoding is going on, and when I walk away, the encoding ramps up the speed to take over most of the machine. With mixed cores, I still wouldn't have any issue using the machine while it was encoding, but it would never ramp up.

Plus, I don't know what kind of cores Hyper-V exposes to the VM. If it is a generic core, then the OS scheduler on the VM won't be able to do any adjusting itself, and Hyper-V would have to assign VM threads to appropriate cores. OTOH, if Hyper-V doesn't distinguish between the two core types when assigning a core to VM in a "runnable" state, then some VMs would get only E-cores, and some would get P-cores.

bambi123

Oct 12, 2022
You likely won't see "problems" as in "not working", but you might see weird performance issues. For example, the Win10 implementation of the mixed-core driver is pretty naïve, and will simply assign any thread with priority lower than "Normal" to an E-core, and "Normal" and higher get P-cores.

This means that any process that tries to say "hey, I don't want to disturb you if you are doing something serious" and lowers its thread priority will never be able to take advantage of the power of the P-cores, even if there are P-cores doing nothing. I do this all the time when I am encoding video, and set the priority lower. Without mixed cores, this allows me to keep using the computer without really noticing that the encoding is going on, and when I walk away, the encoding ramps up the speed to take over most of the machine. With mixed cores, I still wouldn't have any issue using the machine while it was encoding, but it would never ramp up.

Plus, I don't know what kind of cores Hyper-V exposes to the VM. If it is a generic core, then the OS scheduler on the VM won't be able to do any adjusting itself, and Hyper-V would have to assign VM threads to appropriate cores. OTOH, if Hyper-V doesn't distinguish between the two core types when assigning a core to VM in a "runnable" state, then some VMs would get only E-cores, and some would get P-cores.
Possibly, I have ran some benchmark software with the a couple of test VM's on the machine, and performance seems correct, and nothing is using more than the allocated resources (vCPU, Resource Limits) to point a problematic scheduler.

I think the best test will when I have migrated the 10 VM's which we need to run, then it will be easier to determine if performance is as expected and if we see any bottlenecking anywhere.

Weapon

Oct 19, 2013
Got the Asrock Rack W680D4U in today and swapped in my Corsair DDR5 and 12900K. It booted right up and iGPU appears to be working normally. However, the BMC is a different story. There is an IP assigned in the BIOS and flash screen during boot and router confirms it is showing up. But connection times out when trying to connect to that IP. Tried resetting CMOS and a few other things, no change. There isn't even a download link up for the board on Asrock's site so don't know if there is BIOS or BMC update available.

Reactions: custom90gt

mirrormax

Apr 10, 2020
Try an incognito window without any add-ons etc and make sure site doesn't get blocked from beeing unsecure https, i usually get a warning about that in chrome at least

And see if you can ping and ssh it?

Weapon

Oct 19, 2013
Yeah it doesn't make any sense to me why it won't connect. Everything I can see from the BIOS and the board shows it should be working. I am able to access other Supermicro and Asrock boards BMC over the same network without issue. I've tried 3 different browsers including extensionless Edge.

Attachments

mr-rx-bs

Nov 10, 2022
Got the Asrock Rack W680D4U in today and swapped in my Corsair DDR5 and 12900K. It booted right up and iGPU appears to be working normally. However, the BMC is a different story. There is an IP assigned in the BIOS and flash screen during boot and router confirms it is showing up. But connection times out when trying to connect to that IP. Tried resetting CMOS and a few other things, no change. There isn't even a download link up for the board on Asrock's site so don't know if there is BIOS or BMC update available.
Can you post the IOMMU groups? For example - List IOMMU Groups and the connected USB Devices

Curious if you plan on running ECC UDIMMs or regular DDR5. Also, any plans for using the OCuLink connections?

Weapon

Oct 19, 2013
I've decided to go with a plain X13SAE and forget about BMC/IPMI as this will be my main workstation so don't really need remote management

Reactions: BigBullion