LGA 1700 Alder Lake "Servers"

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Weapon

Oct 19, 2013
Ok, so right now with default settings (primary video =AUTO), I get no video out from the iGPU, surely that is not normal/expected behavior?

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
Ok, so right now with default settings (primary video =AUTO), I get no video out from the iGPU, surely that is not normal/expected behavior?
the ASPEED(BMC) can not access the Picture of the iGPU until a driver is loaded(win/linux)
the ASPEED(BMC)BMC runs the IPMI.
in the DOS case, the BMC can access the video picture because its in the same house.

its not a gaming mboard. they expect you use a cpu without iGPU or just for transcoding.

Weapon

Oct 19, 2013
the ASPEED(BMC) can not access the Picture of the iGPU until a driver is loaded(win/linux)
the ASPEED(BMC)BMC runs the IPMI.
in the DOS case, the BMC can access the video picture because its in the same house.
That makes sense but I’m saying without using the BMC at all - Just simply connecting a monitor to the HDMI port on the motherboard and powering on, I get no video output unless I go in to the BIOS and change the primary video setting.
If for some reason I was unable to use the BMC then I would have no way of changing that setting.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
Just simply connecting a monitor to the HDMI port on the motherboard and powering on,
the BIOS don't know the HDMI is plugged at first, at the end of all init. by the BIOS the UEFI can see the iGPU and the montor. but before there is a video found and used. this is not a very special BIOS for that board, many/every time this behaivior comes up.

Weapon

Oct 19, 2013
the BIOS don't know the HDMI is plugged at first, at the end of all init. by the BIOS the UEFI can see the iGPU and the montor. but before there is a video found and used.
So it should work eventually? I let it sit for 15 minutes and still nothing

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
So it should work eventually? I let it sit for 15 minutes and still nothing
the BIOS don't guess "i'll wait, maybe the user plugges something soon..."
the decision has to be made, the iGPU is not yet known.

Weapon

Oct 19, 2013
I don’t understand, you’re saying it’s normal behavior for the iGPU to not show video with the default setting of “AUTO” for default video?

MrBios

Feb 21, 2022
havent tested iGFX in x13... but in x10... if iGFX is set... IPMI display wont work even if plugged into VGA port.

BUT if you hit del during reboot it does take you to BIOS, than you can change the setting to AUTO to get IPMI working and than switch back to IGFX

mirrormax

Apr 10, 2020
dont remember having to changing the output setting for igpu hdmi to work. not using it day to day but when setting it up i did use the hdmi

BigBullion

Jul 28, 2022
I'm interested to see if any ECC memory works with any W680 board.

There were posts on this forum and Reddit about the Supermicro boards (X12SAE-5 and X13SAE-F) being picky on memory. Supermicro boards also tend to have only their own brand of memory on their QVL.

Last edited:

Weapon

Oct 19, 2013
are you tried connect VGA monitor with this "AUTO" setting?
No, I don't have a VGA monitor handy. I just can't believe this is normal behavior, but according to Supermicro it is
If the primary display is “Auto”, then only onboard VGA port will work properly.
So you take a brand new board, install a CPU with iGPU and connect any modern monitor to HDMI or DP, and there is no video output? Ridiculous.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
So you take a brand new board, install a CPU with iGPU and connect any modern monitor to HDMI or DP, and there is no video output?
brand new SERVER board with BMC&IPMI, this is the point.
take X13SAE (without F) then it works like you want.

mirrormax

Apr 10, 2020
looks like we have to wait a week or two for sae-f raptor lake bios.

Thank you for contacting Super Micro Technical Support!

The estiamted ETA of R 2.0 BIOS which can support Intel Core 13th Gen CPU for X13SAE-F will be in the middle of November. Thanks a lot!

Weapon

Oct 19, 2013
brand new SERVER board with BMC&IPMI, this is the point.
take X13SAE (without F) then it works like you want.
X13SAE/-F is categorized as "Workstation" not "Server" by Supermicro. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect the iGPU to work out of the box. Would be curious what anyone else thinks. Also I ordered the Asrock W680 board to test, will see if it behaves the same.

Reactions: abq and custom90gt