LGA 1700 Alder Lake "Servers"

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Daniel15

Aug 18, 2023
If so are you seeing the fan IPMI-2002 lower critical errors (example below)?
IPMI/BMC is usually used in servers, so the default fan thresholds assume high RPM fans (server fans are small so they have to spin faster to achieve the required airflow). Noctua fans have much lower RPM than small server fans, so the settings have to be adjusted to match.

That Noctua cooler has an NF-A12x25r fan, which has a minimum rotation speed of 450 RPM (from the specs on Noctua's site). I'd set the threshold to 400.

Reactions: saf1

saf1

Nov 27, 2022
IPMI/BMC is usually used in servers, so the default fan thresholds assume high RPM fans (server fans are small so they have to spin faster to achieve the required airflow). Noctua fans have much lower RPM than small server fans, so the settings have to be adjusted to match.

That Noctua cooler has an NF-A12x25r fan, which has a minimum rotation speed of 450 RPM (from the specs on Noctua's site). I'd set the threshold to 400.
Ok, so it is user error on my part. Thank you. I'll go check how to set that. Appreciate the help.

cdru

Oct 27, 2018
Good morning. Is anyone using the Noctua NH-D12L, Low-Height Dual-Tower CPU Cooler with the 13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-13900K on the X13SAE-F...
I use a NH-U12S with a 13th gen i5 (currently) and 12th gen i7 (previously) and would receive the same type of message you have.

Daniel15's suggestion of dropping the minimum rotation speed is on the right track, though in my case 400 still caused issues. It's been a while since I changed it, but I believe the RPM increments had to be multiples of 140. Trying to set the value to 400 would get changed to 420. I still had problems with errant alerts, so I ended up just setting the fan control to "optimal" and the lower threshold to 140. Haven't had an alert since. I figure as long as it's spinning at least 140RPM, it's not likely to have completely died or become obstructed without other signs. It sits right next to me under my desk so I'd hear if something like a wire was making contact and slowing it down. This applies to all the fan headers, not just the CPU.

I realize the board is not a "desktop" but a workstation that wants to be a server, or maybe a server that wants to be a workstation. For the price it was at launched, I've been pretty disappointed in the (lack of) functionality that is half baked into the BMC.

saf1

Nov 27, 2022
I use a NH-U12S with a 13th gen i5 (currently) and 12th gen i7 (previously) and would receive the same type of message you have.

Daniel15's suggestion of dropping the minimum rotation speed is on the right track, though in my case 400 still caused issues. It's been a while since I changed it, but I believe the RPM increments had to be multiples of 140. Trying to set the value to 400 would get changed to 420. I still had problems with errant alerts, so I ended up just setting the fan control to "optimal" and the lower threshold to 140. Haven't had an alert since. I figure as long as it's spinning at least 140RPM, it's not likely to have completely died or become obstructed without other signs. It sits right next to me under my desk so I'd hear if something like a wire was making contact and slowing it down. This applies to all the fan headers, not just the CPU.

I realize the board is not a "desktop" but a workstation that wants to be a server, or maybe a server that wants to be a workstation. For the price it was at launched, I've been pretty disappointed in the (lack of) functionality that is half baked into the BMC.
Thank you. The server isn't really much to be honest other than managing our disk storage for Plex media and a few local PC backups. So home use, nothing fancy. Taking Daniel15 and yours suggestion I went to Noctua's site, got the fans low setting and was going to subtract 20% from it to set the low value. So 450 - 90 giving me 360 range.

I've not used the ipmitool nor have it installed so just finished that up now. Ubuntu 20.04. Just learning how to use it now and maybe make a backup in case I do something stupid. This is all new to me and the server has been up since these boards released mainstream. For what we are using it for it has performed well although I think the Intel CPU is a bit overkill for what we do. Even transcoding is done by the older Nvidia quadro card so pretty sure I wasted money on the CPU...

Thank you both again. Learning something new.

Daniel15

Aug 18, 2023
Ok, so it is user error on my part. Thank you. I'll go check how to set that. Appreciate the help.
I usually use the IPMI web UI. Log in and click the "Sensors" option in the left nav bar:
1709145304512.png

Scroll down to "CPU_FAN", click on it, then click "Change Thresholds":
1709145394328.png

Turns out I also set my threshold to 360 RPM. I'm using a Noctua NH-D15 which uses two fans but I think both are similar to the fan on your CPU cooler.

While you're in there, you may want to go to Settings → Fan Control → Customized and set a custom fan curve. I've set my CPU fan to run at 50% until 60C then ramp up to 100% above that, which usually keeps the CPU (Core i5-13500) around 35-40C at my regular load (~10-15% CPU usage) without causing too much noise. The server's sitting in a closet so noise is less of an issue than airflow.

saf1

Nov 27, 2022
I usually use the IPMI web UI. Log in and click the "Sensors" option in the left nav bar:
View attachment 34998

Scroll down to "CPU_FAN", click on it, then click "Change Thresholds":
View attachment 34999

Turns out I also set my threshold to 360 RPM. I'm using a Noctua NH-D15 which uses two fans but I think both are similar to the fan on your CPU cooler.

While you're in there, you may want to go to Settings → Fan Control → Customized and set a custom fan curve. I've set my CPU fan to run at 50% until 60C then ramp up to 100% above that, which usually keeps the CPU (Core i5-13500) around 35-40C at my regular load (~10-15% CPU usage) without causing too much noise. The server's sitting in a closet so noise is less of an issue than airflow.
Your Web Ui looks different than mine. It could be that I do not have a license (if one is needed).

1709146457954.png

Daniel15

Aug 18, 2023
Your Web Ui looks different than mine. It could be that I do not have a license (if one is needed).

View attachment 35000
Don't worry - it's because I'm dumb and didn't read your post fully. I thought you were using the Asus W680M-ACE SE board, not the Supermicro one. Sorry!

They're likely built on top of the same BMC chip, just with a different UI (so all the same settings should be there, just in a different place)

• Haha

saf1

Nov 27, 2022
Don't worry - it's because I'm dumb and didn't read your post fully. I thought you were using the Asus W680M-ACE SE board, not the Supermicro one. Sorry!
Don't be and thank you for offering the suggestion. The supermicro very well could allow it but maybe on the paid version. I'm really ignorant of the tool so have no idea what can, or cannot, be done. So always open to learning new things :D

saf1

Nov 27, 2022
Small update. Was able to get the sensor thresholds updated with the ipmitool via cmd line. I've not used it before so took a bit of reading to understand how it works and how BMC saves the data.

Thank you again everyone for the tips and suggestions.

kevin645

Jan 12, 2024
I am still working on getting my system setup. Got my deep learning server up on it with my 3090. Been great local LLMs

The only thing I am potentially debating is should I setup a 4 drive ZFS or build a separate server for a dedicated NAS. My current case can only do 4 drives anyway. I ran into a very good local deal on 18 TB Seagate exos drives so I am evaluating my options here.

I've done enough research on the the right motherboards to look for if I can find them. RIP C246 chipset boards impossible to find.

brained

Nov 23, 2023
Code:
ipmitool sensor thresh FAN1 lower 200 200 200
ipmitool sensor thresh FAN1 upper 2000 2000 2000
ipmitool mc reset cold
you can try, but noctua fan not play well with ipmi :(

rekd0514

May 11, 2015
Anyone using these Crucial sticks with the X13SAE-F ? They seem to be the cheapest option for 4800MHz DDR5 ECC UDIMM at ~115 per stick with the 10% off coupon directly on the crucial store.

MTC20C2085S1EC48BR

Reactions: unwind-protect

rekd0514

May 11, 2015
Anyone using these Crucial sticks with the X13SAE-F ? They seem to be the cheapest option for 4800MHz DDR5 ECC UDIMM at ~115 per stick with the 10% off coupon directly on the crucial store.

MTC20C2085S1EC48BR
In case anyone wants to get these sticks they do indeed work. I could only get them running at 4400MHz though.