Let's have an "Expired" tag in Great Deals

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

josh

Oct 21, 2013
People are replying to threads from 2015/2016 and it's bumping them to the top of the list.

Maybe even set it up to move these expired deals to a different forum so people can continue discussing without giving others false hope?

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
@josh great idea. The easiest to way implement was one alongside US/Canada/EU in the thread title. Hopefully, we can move them if they are marked.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Would have been easier if there was a simple way to search for all threads I opened in the Great Deals sub forum but this actually did not work (I assume since its posted by, not created by) ...

1607116812668.png

rkrenicki

Feb 2, 2016
Better yet.. Have an "Expired" sub-forum, and move the threads out so the discussion can continue but not clutter up the lists.. It would require a little moderation, but it shouldn't be too big of a job.

Having an Expired tag is great, but the threads are still there cluttering things at the top.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Hey @Rand__ I just tried and it worked. I see you found and tagged many of your old threads.

@rkrenicki - maybe we move expired tagged threads to an expired forum?

rkrenicki

Feb 2, 2016
@Patrick - That is precisely what I was thinking. Perhaps "Expired Deals Discussion" or something of the sort. That way the discussion can keep going, but not keep deals long over up on the first few pages.

I do like that some of the old deals posts turn into long-term support threads, but it really does detract from the purpose of the subforum.

It is funny, I have been thinking about suggesting this for quite a while.. I finally got annoyed with that Quanta Socket 2011 barebone thread that has been perpetually in the top 25 posts for 4 years, only to find that someone else made the suggestion only 8 days ago :)

josh

Oct 21, 2013
@Patrick moving the tagged threads to a different forum was exactly what I suggested earlier. I believe once users have tagged their posts correctly it would simply be an issue of running a cron job daily to do the DB update.

Reactions: rkrenicki

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Hey @Rand__ I just tried and it worked. I see you found and tagged many of your old threads.
Well the Search works, but its not optimal for this situation since it shows all my posts and not only the threads I created.
I managed o/c, but had to scan 20 pages or so to see which were actually mine.
Was just mentioning it to see if there was the option to add a search option for "created by" instead/in addition to "posted by".

rkrenicki

Feb 2, 2016
Just to bump this back up to the top here.. This is still an ongoing issue in the subforum. Even on Black Friday/Cyber Monday week, there are about 10 old expired threads still taking up room on the first page with discussions about things bought several years ago. I'd like to revisit two points:

1. Having an Expired tag is only good when people actively tag their posts as expired, which most are not.
2. The posts are still getting bumped to the top of the group, regardless of being tagged Expired or not. I really suggest they get moved into either a sub-forum, or a parallel forum so that the discussion can continue but no longer clutter up.

I only really check this group once or twice every couple of months, just because it is so frustrating to actually find any good deals. I do understand that it likely requires active moderation, but I am sure that there are a handful of people around here (such as myself) who would be willing to take on that task.