Lenovo ThinkStation S20 memory high strangeness

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Upgraded an S20 and added a Dell H310 to get 6GBs. Box has 24GB of Ram and after installing the H310 it had 16GB of Ram. It didn't click right away so I went off into the wilderness troubleshooting a memory problem. I narrowed it down to the 2 middle memory slots. Memory installed in them did not register hence the 8GB drop. After taking a break and thinking about it for a minute it dawned on me that the H310 must be the cause. Sure enough it was. i removed it and memory was once again 24GB. I shuffled the slots around and no joy. With the H310 installed I lose 8GB of Ram.

Anybody know what's going on here?

TIA :confused:

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
SMBus on PCIe pins B5/B6 is interfering with SPD detection in those sockets. Don't belive people who tell you the only way an SMBus problem can manifest is a completely dead system...
Thank you sir. so I can safely assume that it won't work? No big deal, I'd like to to have 6GBs but it's not a deal breaker.
Or maybe another HBA would work?