Lenovo ThinkServer TS130 Tower (i3-3220, 4GB RAM, No HDD) $204

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

soobaerodude

Sep 28, 2011

Jeggs101

Dec 29, 2010
Let's see.
Processor is $120 new
DVD ROM - $15
Chassis OK $60 - but airflow is wrong for the motherboard
4GB RAM - $30 (it will likely get swapped)
Motherboard = C206 so no remote management without a Xeon GPU enabled processor! NO IPMI - wonder if this could be sold

Here's the scary bit from a comment:
The very big deal is that the bios is gimped and can only run certain versions of OS's and VMware software. No ubuntu, and if you want linux, you have to buy the redhat corporate version. This includes VMware OS's as well. The bios will check for Windows 7,8 or Server, and Redhat Linux. If you are not running those then you get a "NO OS" error.

If I pay for a server, I want a server. If I pay for a server and get a workstation, I at least want to be able to run any OS I choose.

soobaerodude

Sep 28, 2011
Let's see.
Processor is $120 new
DVD ROM - $15
Chassis OK $60 - but airflow is wrong for the motherboard
4GB RAM - $30 (it will likely get swapped)
Motherboard = C206 so no remote management without a Xeon GPU enabled processor! NO IPMI - wonder if this could be sold

Here's the scary bit from a comment:
I'd compare this to the HP N54L Microserver, not a real server that needs remote management/IPMI or anything serious. Looks like you can boot whatever from USB.

Throw FreeNas/ZfsGuru on a USB stick, install 4x4TB drives, and I think it would be an acceptable home storage server.