Lenovo ThinkServer SA120 - Rackmount DAS

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

mason736

Mar 17, 2013
I currently have a hp p4300 g2 SAN, connected via iSCSI. It's only 6tb usable space, so I'm looking for a replacement. Does the sa120 have the controllers built in, or would I need to install a controller inthe server it's connecting to?

Churchill

Admiral
Jan 6, 2016
Has controllers built in, you'd plug the SAS cable from the SA120 into the SAS port of your SAS controller card on your server.

Again, think of this thing as a giant USB hard drive in how you connect the SA120 to your server. Trust me, it makes sense.

Dssguy1

Apr 5, 2016
Hey guys, I just picked one of these guys up new in the box (the single PSU and single IO version). I am going to load it with 3.5" Hitachi Ultrastar SAS HDs, 2 and 3tb varieties.

I think I am going to buy another and steal the IO and PSU from it to have a redundant system but wanted to ask you guys a quick question about the SSD Caching options. I know I can buy the rear cage for SSDs (or I assume even just some 2.5" HDDs if I wanted). Can I load standard consumer 850 EVO drives in there or do they have to be the special RIDICULOUS priced Lenovo drives? I read some people having issues with using SATA SSD's but I thought that was the whole point of the SATA interposers that come with the 2.5" cage. I also assume if I don't need a HUGE boost in performance, I could just put 1 or 2 of the 250gb Evos in there and don't have to buy the second cage and populate it?

Help!

cbiggers

Nov 8, 2015
Hey guys, I just picked one of these guys up new in the box (the single PSU and single IO version). I am going to load it with 3.5" Hitachi Ultrastar SAS HDs, 2 and 3tb varieties.

I think I am going to buy another and steal the IO and PSU from it to have a redundant system but wanted to ask you guys a quick question about the SSD Caching options. I know I can buy the rear cage for SSDs (or I assume even just some 2.5" HDDs if I wanted). Can I load standard consumer 850 EVO drives in there or do they have to be the special RIDICULOUS priced Lenovo drives? I read some people having issues with using SATA SSD's but I thought that was the whole point of the SATA interposers that come with the 2.5" cage. I also assume if I don't need a HUGE boost in performance, I could just put 1 or 2 of the 250gb Evos in there and don't have to buy the second cage and populate it?

Help!
I don't think it cares about SSDs. It'll take any SATA drive. I'm actually running 2 512gb 850 Pros. What are you going to use for cache? Cachecade or ZFS or something?

MountainDew

Oct 19, 2015

I think I am going to buy another and steal the IO and PSU from it to have a redundant system but wanted to ask you guys a quick question about the SSD Caching options.
Are you referring to an OS performing the caching or a RAID controller?
The link here provides which SSDs and controllers are supported for controller caching. Key thing to note that these controllers only support up to 512GB for caching.

Dssguy1

Apr 5, 2016
I don't think it cares about SSDs. It'll take any SATA drive. I'm actually running 2 512gb 850 Pros. What are you going to use for cache? Cachecade or ZFS or something?
Still very new to this so I am open to suggestions. I have a LSI 9207-8e right now, flashed to Firmware v19 IT mode and would like to use it if at all possible instead of buying another new card. I was thinking of going with FreeNas 9.10, so I think that supports ZFS. Is that the best route for a R720 connected to this SA120? I am just hosting my own home for backups and video streaming to plex. I already know this is insane overkill but I got everything very cheap.

Are you referring to an OS performing the caching or a RAID controller?
The link here provides which SSDs and controllers are supported for controller caching. Key thing to note that these controllers only support up to 512GB for caching.
So I didn't see my LSI 9207E in that list, in your opinion does that mean caching won't work or is it possible via software instead of the being controller based? Also, those SSDs are all Lenovo part numbers, I want to use a consumer SSD like the 850 (maybe pro). cbiggers is commenting that it will work with them.

dstanding

Jan 27, 2015
Morristown NJ
Is it possible to control the fans through the command line? No matter what I do, the management software is not seeing the controller. I can log in via serial no problem though.

MountainDew

Oct 19, 2015
Still very new to this so I am open to suggestions. I have a LSI 9207-8e right now, flashed to Firmware v19 IT mode and would like to use it if at all possible instead of buying another new card. I was thinking of going with FreeNas 9.10, so I think that supports ZFS. Is that the best route for a R720 connected to this SA120? I am just hosting my own home for backups and video streaming to plex. I already know this is insane overkill but I got everything very cheap.

So I didn't see my LSI 9207E in that list, in your opinion does that mean caching won't work or is it possible via software instead of the being controller based? Also, those SSDs are all Lenovo part numbers, I want to use a consumer SSD like the 850 (maybe pro). cbiggers is commenting that it will work with them.
I'm no expert so all I can say is what is documented on the link I provided. I'm sure there's software that can implement caching but again, I have no clue without Googling.
I've read from others using other SSDs.

MountainDew

Oct 19, 2015
Is it possible to control the fans through the command line? No matter what I do, the management software is not seeing the controller. I can log in via serial no problem though.
If you're in Windows, you have to run it as admin. Then you'll see everything; including fan control options.

jmck

Apr 4, 2013
From my understanding, the fan control doesn't survive a power loss either. I was looking at these but as far as I know, there's no way to control the fans if I connected it to a FreeNAS box so I passed on it. If you find a way though, let me know and I'll buy a couple of these.

MountainDew

Oct 19, 2015
S2012R2, Dell R710, LSI 9200-8e card. Running as admin, the software still doesn't pick up this JBOD.
For clarity, did you right click on the app and tell it to run as admin? Even if you're running as an admin, you have to tell the app to run as an admin.

dstanding

Jan 27, 2015
Morristown NJ
For clarity, did you right click on the app and tell it to run as admin? Even if you're running as an admin, you have to tell the app to run as an admin.
Yes I did. Also tried setting the program to run as admin through compatibility settings. No dice.

However, if I pull the card out oft his box and install it in another machine (2012R2, S2600CP2, dual 2670, etc.) I can control it fine. Could it be server incompatibility? Dell doesn't want to control other manufacturers' JBOD?

Gnodu

Oct 10, 2015
I have an SA120--- only my Lenovo branded (low end sas2108) or IBM M5210 cards are able to operate the user interface to lower that ungodly loud set of fans.

FWIW, I also tried a number of resister options, none worked well. Likewise, I could not find any command line info to manage the fans, either.

Use a cheap IBM controller... Or if anyone has an SBR file + instructions that I could use on a 9286cv-8e (Intel rms25sb008), I'd probably send you a case of beer...

Seriously, the reason this is powered off in the rack is because the fans are too much of a pita to turn down.

If you find another way, please let me know.

cbiggers

Nov 8, 2015
I have an SA120--- only my Lenovo branded (low end sas2108) or IBM M5210 cards are able to operate the user interface to lower that ungodly loud set of fans.

FWIW, I also tried a number of resister options, none worked well. Likewise, I could not find any command line info to manage the fans, either.

Use a cheap IBM controller... Or if anyone has an SBR file + instructions that I could use on a 9286cv-8e (Intel rms25sb008), I'd probably send you a case of beer...

Seriously, the reason this is powered off in the rack is because the fans are too much of a pita to turn down.

If you find another way, please let me know.
Same issue. Can't make it show up and have tried everything.

cbiggers

Nov 8, 2015
When you say same issue, are you not using the supplied or a recommended controller?
Tried with a LSI 9286CV-E and a PERC 830. I think the LSI one is recommended but of course the Dell isn't. I think I may of found another way to do it. I just got home and i'm about to work on it.