Drag to reposition cover

Lenovo Thinkcentre/ThinkStation Tiny (Project TinyMiniMicro) Reference Thread

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

galvesribeiro

Feb 9, 2024
So i figured it out.

Esxi8 could not provide regular working legacy/mbr boot for bios so that’s why it didn’t work for me.

installing esxi8 in efi mode worked. Secureboot on or off - it does not matter. I turned csm off and kept efi mode with secureboot enabled.

Nvme ssd plugged in to 2230 wifi slot is present under ‘other’ in boot order so need to keep that one enabled.

works on m720q, m920q and p330tiny
Not sure how you got it. I've installed on full EFI mode with the legacy/CSM disabled and secure boot enabled on the 2230 wifi slot.

1713409973962.png
After the installer finishes and boot, remove USB stick and enter in BIOS. You see that there is nothing under the "Other Device".

Anything else you could tell us that would make this work?

This is a m920q with 4x M.2 NVMe, 1x SATA SSD and 1x 2230 M.2 SSD with a M.2 adapter. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

galvesribeiro

Feb 9, 2024
@TinyLenovo / @damex

Hey folks! I got a mix of attempts here until I finally got ESXI to boot from the Wifi slot with a 2230 M.2 using the adapter on the m920q.

Pre-requisite:

1. Either have no disks attached on the device whatsoever (SATA, M.2, PCIe, whatever). Keep ONLY the M.2 2230 attached to the WiFi slot
2. IF you have any other disk for whatever reason, boot a live linux USB. Debian is the simplest one. Once on it, just open the "Disk" utility and ERASE ALL disks leaving no data. Just a simple GPT partition table with full space on ALL disks including the 2230.

That will ensure the system will have nothing to boot from.

From that point forward, enter BIOS, reset to default (F9). Once you do, enable all toggles you want but in particular, keep UEFI enabled, disable CSM and (optionally) enable Secure Boot.

Now, put your USB stick with your OS installer and boot from it and install it on the M.2 2230 SSD. After the installer is done, reboot without the USB stick. It will struggle trying to get boot from the network for a couple of minutes. Once it is done with network boot, it will just magically boot from that M.2 2230. I've tested with ESXI 8.0 U2 and I consistently got the procedure to work.

It seems like if there is no alternatives it will try to boot from all the devices even tho the BIOS won't allow at first time to pick the M.2 2230. As a matter of fact, as long as you don't have any other bootable option somehow connected on the m920q (i.e. another disk or USB stick), it will boot from the M.2 2230.

1713414359859.png
I booted from the first disk, which is essentially a SteamDeck internal storage M.2 2230 I had around after upgrade the SD with a 2Tb one.

All other disks (kudos @badger707 for the mods of the second M.2 slot in the back and the PCIe slot bifurcation) are clean and now ready to be used on ESXI :)

Again, I tried this approach multiple times on that machine. As long as you have a single OS, it will boot from it. But from the moment you put something else on other disk with "high priority", it won't boot from the M.2 2230 and will pick that other option. Don't even bother to get the boot order sorted as it won't show anything. Just make sure you only have the M.2 2230 working and it will be fine.

I hope it help!

Bonus tip: Enable the Intel Managed Engine from the BIOS and setup it with a password and IP in case the CPU you are using has Intel vPRO on it. That will even allow you to update the Intel AMT firmware and have something like a "simple IPMI" with remote console over web :) That allow you to power On/Off/Reboot, manage the BIOS and even install the OS completely remote ;)

1713414924935.png

kayson

Apr 21, 2021
Again, I tried this approach multiple times on that machine. As long as you have a single OS, it will boot from it. But from the moment you put something else on other disk with "high priority", it won't boot from the M.2 2230 and will pick that other option. Don't even bother to get the boot order sorted as it won't show anything. Just make sure you only have the M.2 2230 working and it will be fine.
I did notice this when I was playing around with the second m.2 slot. The disk shows up on the first screen, but it doesn't show up in the bios boot order... But I wonder if this could be fixed by flashing an m920x bios?

Alfrik

May 4, 2013
According to intel i7-12700T in the M90Q Gen 3 supports a maximum of 128GB RAM. I just picked up a pair of 48GB SODIMMs and will test them this evening.

Last edited: