Drag to reposition cover

Lenovo Thinkcentre/ThinkStation Tiny (Project TinyMiniMicro) Reference Thread

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

rafale77

Sep 28, 2020
@Parallax Seems like you caught upgraditis. :p

Anyone has any idea what the thunderbolt option works on the P340? When I enable it, it appears to make my dGPU output a mess, preventing me even to get back into the BIOS to change it back.

Parallax

Nov 8, 2020
London, UK
Anyone has any idea what the thunderbolt option works on the P340? When I enable it, it appears to make my dGPU output a mess, preventing me even to get back into the BIOS to change it back.
I didn't think there was any native Thunderbolt capability, it's only through the add in card which has a couple other cables you need to plug in to the motherboard as well. So maybe turning it on in the BIOS routes the dGPU through that onboard port and you no longer get normal display output.

rafale77

Sep 28, 2020
I didn't think there was any native Thunderbolt capability, it's only through the add in card which has a couple other cables you need to plug in to the motherboard as well. So maybe turning it on in the BIOS routes the dGPU through that onboard port and you no longer get normal display output.
Apparently it does. I need to investigate. There is even a windows driver for it.

The P360 tiny is available in the US!

Fun fact, when I look for parts like Riser or a HSF, I am finding that I have to get them from the UK because the official supplier in the US doesn't have them in stock... Shipping from the UK is indeed expensive.

Helzy

Oct 19, 2017
I've read through this entire thread, can't find any info specifically on the Thinkstation Tiny units, I swear I read somewhere that they don't specify but do support ECC memory? Can anyone confirm? Thank you!

rafale77

Sep 28, 2020
ECC memory support is dependent on the chipset/CPU. Intel chipsets in these units don't support ECC. The AMD ones on the other hand can if you get a CPU which also supports ECC.

Helzy

Oct 19, 2017
Aha! Thanks for the clarification! I have several matching 16GB ECC SODIMMS, but my P320 tiny is in production at the moment and I won't be able to fiddle with it for a couple weeks. Too bad, but perhaps they'll work in the m715q's I'll be pulling soon

Wasmachineman_NL

Wittgenstein the Supercomputer FTW!
Aug 7, 2019
@adman_c 82599 has no thermistor, according to its datasheet. But it's a 10g card, shouldn't be as bad as dual 40gbe eh. It's old, that's true. The newer the MCUs the faster yet cooler they are per same performance.
@Wasmachineman_NL keep us updated, never did that before. Only ever dealt with ebay, and in most cases sellers were willing to refund me through just messaging.
Took forever and I had to nag PayPal on Twitter about it, but I got my money back. Hooray!

Reactions: adman_c

maxg

Jun 4, 2022
Are there any bifurcation settings available in the P350 BIOS to split the x8 port without a PCIe switch? The question was asked on Lenovo forums for P340 (which doesn't and won't support it), wondering if it's the same on P350 (probably yes)

Parallax

Nov 8, 2020
London, UK
Are there any bifurcation settings available in the P350 BIOS to split the x8 port without a PCIe switch? The question was asked on Lenovo forums for P340 (which doesn't and won't support it), wondering if it's the same on P350 (probably yes)
Not that I can find, no.

Parallax

Nov 8, 2020
London, UK
Apparently it does. I need to investigate. There is even a windows driver for it.

The P360 tiny is available in the US!

Fun fact, when I look for parts like Riser or a HSF, I am finding that I have to get them from the UK because the official supplier in the US doesn't have them in stock... Shipping from the UK is indeed expensive.
I'm happy (as long as it doesn't become a chore!) to receive and directly re-ship goods from the UK by the cheapest method if that helps. Probably makes the most sense if you need several small things consolidated into a single package. I'm in London.

Helzy

Oct 19, 2017
I wonder what it would cost to ship the Lenovo carton to Canada roughly, $675 with exchange including the VAT is an exceptional deal.

Parallax

Nov 8, 2020
London, UK
I wonder what it would cost to ship the Lenovo carton to Canada roughly, $675 with exchange including the VAT is an exceptional deal.
£32 tracked but not fully insured via Canada Post (and Landmark). £36-38 via Royal Mail/Parcelforce. £45-50 for UPS/DHL/DPD etc.

If folks want to do their own calculations, then the package dimensions are 490mm x 141mm x 268mm and the weight is 2.848kg. I rounded the prices I found up to the nearest £.

Helzy

Oct 19, 2017
awesome thank you! Checking with the boss, she wants a tiny with a 27" tiny in one. Hah!

Parallax

Nov 8, 2020
London, UK
awesome thank you! Checking with the boss, she wants a tiny with a 27" tiny in one. Hah!
You can reconstruct the Tiny-in-one with the pleasingly named "Tiny Sandwich Kit" which is basically a metal clamshell that encases the Tiny. It allows you to connect it to a VESA mount on the monitor, and then you then attach the monitor stand to the other side of the sandwich. The sandwich itself is relatively heavy and bulky but quite cheap (~£18-20 here), so you should buy that locally.

Reactions: Alfrik

adman_c

Feb 14, 2016
Chicago
Has anyone noticed limitations with PCIE devices when using 65w CPUs? I snagged a couple of the m910x models from the reddit thread I posted above, and they work fine except for when I try to get my AOC-STGN-I2S NIC working. The riser works just fine with a 1gb NIC (PCIE 1x) and a single 10gb NIC (PCIE 4x), but the SuperMicro (PCIE 8x) is not recognized. I have two and neither are recognized. Could it be that it's not getting enough power? I'm reusing a spare 90w power supply I had on hand (the m910x did not come with the power supply), so maybe that's the problem? These NICs are recognized just fine in other machines I have lying around, and I had zero problems with the same model in my m720q, but that has a 35w CPU.

Anyway, just curious if anyone has encountered something like this in all the testing that's happened in this thread.

Thanks!

rafale77

Sep 28, 2020
Has anyone noticed limitations with PCIE devices when using 65w CPUs? I snagged a couple of the m910x models from the reddit thread I posted above, and they work fine except for when I try to get my AOC-STGN-I2S NIC working. The riser works just fine with a 1gb NIC (PCIE 1x) and a single 10gb NIC (PCIE 4x), but the SuperMicro (PCIE 8x) is not recognized. I have two and neither are recognized. Could it be that it's not getting enough power? I'm reusing a spare 90w power supply I had on hand (the m910x did not come with the power supply), so maybe that's the problem? These NICs are recognized just fine in other machines I have lying around, and I had zero problems with the same model in my m720q, but that has a 35w CPU.

Anyway, just curious if anyone has encountered something like this in all the testing that's happened in this thread.

Thanks!
Can't speak for the older m910x but on mine, the CPU power limits change according to the power supply you plug into it. 90W will dramatically limit a 65W Coffee Lake CPU and to some extent the i7/i9 35W too. I am running a 50W GPU alongside a 125W CPU on my P340 and have no problems... but that's with a 230W power brick.

adman_c

Feb 14, 2016
Chicago
Can't speak for the older m910x but on mine, the CPU power limits change according to the power supply you plug into it. 90W will dramatically limit a 65W Coffee Lake CPU and to some extent the i7/i9 35W too. I am running a 50W GPU alongside a 125W CPU on my P340 and have no problems... but that's with a 230W power brick.
I'm really hoping it's just a power issue because otherwise the m910x is just a fantastic little box. The 65w CPUs idle just as low as the 35w ones, and have greater headroom. Plus they get the 2x NVME slots and the copper heatsink on the CPU. I've got a 135w power supply on order. Should I get a 170w instead? The NIC draws like 5w maximum, so all I can think is that somehow (if this is a power issue and not something faulty with the PCIE slots) the system is limiting the PCIE slot to 4x when powered by the 90w brick. I've tried multiple risers and multiple cards--I may grab a connectx-3 just to check, since that's the only other 8x card I have handy.