Drag to reposition cover

Lenovo Thinkcentre/ThinkStation Tiny (Project TinyMiniMicro) Reference Thread

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

drvcrash

Jul 29, 2020
i have been using this little adapter with satadoms. I also just tested the a/e keyed sd card adapter. it works also as long as your os can usb boot since it is just using the usb side of the m.2 wifi connector PXL_20230224_212300802.jpg

Reactions: BrianAz and legit

bigfellasdad

Apr 10, 2018
I have 2x 2TB NVME drives in there right now, but think it's probably better to run them in a ZFS mirror (or at least play around with it like that), and move proxmox off to the sata drive.
I never bother mirroring disks in a home server. I just make sure I back up to my z240 nas with a 12tb mirror on a daily basis.... 20w overhead for 12tb is fine by me

legit

Dec 24, 2021
i have been using this little adapter with satadoms. I also just tested the a/e keyed sd card adapter. it works also as long as your os can usb boot since it is just using the usb side of the m.2 wifi connector View attachment 27370
Oh that a+e microSD card adapter is slick. I don't think I could run proxmox off it (unless I get crafty with moving logs to a ramfs). Would be neat if there was a small ssd drive that could fit and key into that slot. I've seen adapters for m.2 but it might get chunky.

Last edited:

legit

Dec 24, 2021
I never bother mirroring disks in a home server. I just make sure I back up to my z240 nas with a 12tb mirror on a daily basis.... 20w overhead for 12tb is fine by me
I'm used to the vmware world of things - where I could just turn each drive into a datastore for VMs, and assign/vmotion accordingly. Looks like I could just apply an LVM to the secondary drive and use it fully like that as well.

Yeah, I'm of a similar mindset - there's a lot more wanting to experiment with configurations themselves before assigning any real workloads to it. That said, I do like separating the OS off from VM storage though.

bigfellasdad

Apr 10, 2018
I'm used to the vmware world of things - where I could just turn each drive into a datastore for VMs, and assign/vmotion accordingly. Looks like I could just apply an LVM to the secondary drive and use it fully like that as well.

Yeah, I'm of a similar mindset - there's a lot more wanting to experiment with configurations themselves before assigning any real workloads to it. That said, I do like separating the OS off from VM storage though.
Agreed, at work I ensure full redundancy, local and geo resilience. My home lab is a toy and somewhere to learn new tech. Rebuilding a box takes 20 minutes with ansible and I can restore any vm's back up and running in a further 10 minutes. No loss

Reactions: legit

chbmb

Dec 5, 2017
I've just purchased an M920q with the aim of making an opnsense box (virtualised on top of proxmox) and had a couple of questions, whilst from all the reading here I can see that an Intel I350 quad NIC card works, I don't really need that many ports and am trying to minimise power consumption so I was wondering if anyone has had success running an I210 single NIC card in it, I have read references to a BIOS whitelist and wasn't sure if that applied to addon cards to the PCIe slot.

My second query is, here's a pic of the machine I've purchased and I think that's a HDMI/diplay port socket in the PCIe slot, so can I assume that the necessary riser will be present? I understand I'll still need some sort of baffle for whatever NIC card I use.
back.jpg

adman_c

Feb 14, 2016
Chicago
I know I should create a post in the buy/sell forum, but I'm lazy. If anyone needs any Tiny6 risers, I have two extras since I didn't end up making my P350 cluster: a x4 and x16 (x8). FRUs 5C50W00876 and 77. Feel free to PM me if you'd like. Also, if this post is completely out of bounds, I'm happy to delete.

Reactions: nicoska

adman_c

Feb 14, 2016
Chicago
Yeah, now that I'm running twice-daily backups of all my VMs and hosts to my PBS server, I'm pretty sure my zfs mirrors are overkill.

Reactions: bigfellasdad

flame7487

Jul 10, 2022
My second query is, here's a pic of the machine I've purchased and I think that's a HDMI/diplay port
View attachment 27426
It is Optional DisplayPort 1.2 out connector (second) in Tiny M920q
Item is look like https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/8GMAAOSw41dj7oYd/s-l500.jpg [01AJ937]
One can read m920q (Compatible Parts : Found 10 results: CARDS MISC INTERNAL)
#7. DP to DP with redriver card 01AJ937 Substitutes (0)

FRU DP to DP with redriver car SKU: 01AJ937 Price €25.01 No longer available + is utilized in the Models: M720q ; M920q ; P330 Tiny
Alternative Products:
CARDPOP BLD BTB DP card for AM SKU: 5C50W00884 Price: EUR 26.28 Available + is utilized in the Model: M75Q-1
Alternative Part: 00UT922, 01AR974, 01DK182
or
Lenovo Replacement DP to DP W/Redriver Card 01AJ937
€111.00 Lenovo Replacement DP to DP W/Redriver Car 01AJ937: Amazon.de: Computer & Accessories

BTW in yours case mentioned the item (on picture) is NOT properly attached to Tiny.
The lower toothed edge of the bezel should be inside the chassis.
It means that One had problems with smart installation (with escape from attachment).
IMVHO again problems with connections of DP header
with too elastic (in this place) the System Board.
For details picture see below in post #775 by legit ; from M920q User Guide and Hardware Maintenance Manual ;
page 5 ; Figure 3. System Board as #3. Board to board connector

In some cases, DP socket not work (or problems with proper DP signals).
To correct this (same kind of magic) :
by the first good attachment, small plate to SB but with unscrewed bezel.
Then screwed bezel to plate, after this to chassis.
The same problems were seen by me
on M920q (Compatible Parts | CARDS MISC INTERNAL)
#2. thunderbolt card 01AJ968 Substitutes (0)
#8. DP + USB2.0/3.0 to type C 01AJ939 Substitutes (0)

Last edited:

legit

Dec 24, 2021
I've just purchased an M920q with the aim of making an opnsense box (virtualised on top of proxmox) and had a couple of questions, whilst from all the reading here I can see that an Intel I350 quad NIC card works, I don't really need that many ports and am trying to minimise power consumption so I was wondering if anyone has had success running an I210 single NIC card in it, I have read references to a BIOS whitelist and wasn't sure if that applied to addon cards to the PCIe slot.

My second query is, here's a pic of the machine I've purchased and I think that's a HDMI/diplay port socket in the PCIe slot, so can I assume that the necessary riser will be present? I understand I'll still need some sort of baffle for whatever NIC card I use.
View attachment 27426
One possible option - assuming there's an A+E keyed slot, is to get a wired gigabit (or 2.5gbps even) to a+e key adapter. Assuming you just want to only have two total interfaces.

Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/IO-CREST-Gigabit-Ethernet-Module/dp/B08S2P1N6W/

Reactions: bigfellasdad

chbmb

Dec 5, 2017
BTW in yours case mentioned the item (on picture) is NOT properly attached to Tiny.
The lower toothed edge of the bezel should be inside the chassis.
It means that One had problems with smart installation (with escape from attachment).
IMVHO again problems with connections of DP header
with too elastic (in this place) the System Board.
In some cases, DP socket not work (or problems with proper DP signals).
To correct this (same kind of magic) :
by the first good attachment, small plate to SB but with unscrewed bezel.
Then screwed bezel to plate, after this to chassis.
Thank you, that's really useful information. Appreciate the detailed reply and pointers in how to fit it properly when I come to replace things.

chbmb

Dec 5, 2017
One possible option - assuming there's an A+E keyed slot, is to get a wired gigabit (or 2.5gbps even) to a+e key adapter. Assuming you just want to only have two total interfaces.

Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/IO-CREST-Gigabit-Ethernet-Module/dp/B08S2P1N6W/
Would that mean the slot isn't then available for a NVME drive? Or would this be going where the Wireless card should go? I did think about this. Just not sure how to go about attaching it to the chassis

legit

Dec 24, 2021
Would that mean the slot isn't then available for a NVME drive? Or would this be going where the Wireless card should go? I did think about this. Just not sure how to go about attaching it to the chassis
If it's there, it should be a very tiny a+e key slot on the top instead of the underside where a wifi card would normally go. It's different from your run of the mill M.2 nvme drive.

From: https://cdn.cnetcontent.com/31/5e/315e1b21-5d2d-4224-827c-2f9b4926212d.pdf, it'd be slot #10.1677536137314.png

Reactions: Ehsan guru

chbmb

Dec 5, 2017
You can install most x1/x2/x4/x8/x16 PCIe cards as long as they are half height and shorter than 150mm, but bear in mind there is no direct airflow around the card and little space, so avoid anything too hot.
Answered my own question about whitelisting, no idea how I missed that last night when I posted.

If it's there, it should be a very tiny a+e key slot on the top instead of the underside where a wifi card would normally go. It's different from your run of the mill M.2 nvme drive.
That's pretty nifty, these tiny machines are so versatile it's amazing. I like the idea of this solution from a "it's very cool" perspective and space/airflow but I'm struggling to see how I'd attach it to the chassis, I do have a 3d printer so I might scour thingiverse and see what's available, because whilst I can print, my CAD skills are non-existant.

legit

Dec 24, 2021
That's pretty nifty, these tiny machines are so versatile it's amazing. I like the idea of this solution from a "it's very cool" perspective and space/airflow but I'm struggling to see how I'd attach it to the chassis, I do have a 3d printer so I might scour thingiverse and see what's available, because whilst I can print, my CAD skills are non-existant.
Oh the ethernet port to the rear of the chassis? Probably some cutting up of the bracket you have in place - I'd popout the VGA port blank you have on the right, and then check dimensions to see how far off you'd be.

https://www.amazon.com/SIGRID-Ethernet-RTL8125B-Industrial-Control/dp/B0BS938ZL6/ here's another one that might just be close to a dropfit.

TinyLenovo

Feb 1, 2023
As a conclusion to this story, the 01AJ940 adaptor worked perfectly. The LSI HBA was detected straight away. No idea why the 01AJ902 wouldn't work, but this information might be useful for people in the future.
I saw that you slapped an LSI 9200-8e in there. I'm thinking of upgrading already from the single SAS port HBA I have now. My only hesitation on the 9200 was heat generation. Have you noticed any issues now that you've been running it for >6 months?

chbmb

Dec 5, 2017
[tiny pc] m.2 pcie addon 2.5gbe nic
Check that post
Oh, if I'd seen that I might have opted for a M910q instead. Definitely an option I could consider. Any experience with either passing it through to an opnsense VM on proxmox or using it as a paravirtualised card in proxmox?