Drag to reposition cover

Lenovo Thinkcentre/ThinkStation Tiny (Project TinyMiniMicro) Reference Thread

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

cromo

Jun 6, 2019
to remove bios whitelist - boot bios update tool (you will need to reflash bios. settings could be preserved) -> choose to update Machine Type or Serial Number (you can update for both of them, i prefer keeping Serial Number) as 'INVALID'.
from now on there won't be a bios whitelist but it will beep on boot saying that Machine Type and Serial Number is invalid and continue booting. i think that is also a good thing that you know machine successfully posted and ready to proceed with OS boot :)
Or I wonder if this could be an alternative solution: https://forums.servethehome.com/ind...yminimicro-reference-thread.34925/post-336417 ?

986box

Oct 14, 2017
Anyone able to get AOC-STGN-I2S to negotiate at 1Gbps? Connected it to 2 different switches. 1Gbps switch connection do not work. Lights not blinking.

ifconfig reports 10Gbps media with 1Gbps module installed.

TinyLenovo

Feb 1, 2023
How many HDs can a Tiny do? Here's my m920x w 7 HDs (3 onboard), plus HBA via PCI riser.
2 x m.2 NVMEs
1 x SATA SSD
4 x SATA SSDs (via HBA)

Has anyone seen an adapter or face plate to mount a 5.25" optical drive into 1U? It's a standard size (albeit not exactly 5.25"), so there are lots of applications. I want to mount a dock for 4 x 2.5" SSDs in a single U along with a Blu-Ray. Can't seem to find anything that will do the trick. Of course I can just set it on a shelf, but I'd like to find a panel for the front.

Attachments

Last edited:

Phenic

Mar 17, 2015
How many HDs can a Tiny do? Here's my m920x w 7 HDs (3 onboard) and 64GB DDR4.
2 x m.2 NVMEs
1 x SATA SSD
4 x SATA SSDs (via HBA)

Has anyone seen an adapter or face plate to mount a 5.25" optical drive into 1U? It's a standard size (albeit not exactly 5.25"), so there are lots of applications. I want to mount a dock for 4 x 2.5" SSDs in a single U along with a Blu-Ray. Can't seem to find anything that will do the trick. Of course I can just set it on a shelf, but I'd like to find a panel for the front.
Love the sliced in half sata ssd. :eek:

Are you looking for something like this? (Products-)

TinyLenovo

Feb 1, 2023
Are you looking for something like this? (Products-)
Yup, something like one of those is what I want to use. But the challenge is finding a 1U adapter or panel to mount into my rack. That's where I'm looking for ideas; exhausted my Google-foo. Thinking I might have to hack something together.

Phenic

Mar 17, 2015
Yup, something like one of those is what I want to use. But the challenge is finding a 1U adapter or panel to mount into my rack. That's where I'm looking for ideas; exhausted my Google-foo. Thinking I might have to hack something together.
I can't find the reddit thread but I saw someone fit an Optiplex sff into a 1u Supermicro chassis. Perhaps something you can consider?

nicoska

Feb 8, 2023
I’m the middle of deciding which TinyMiniMicro solution to buy.
One of the thing that I’m looking to is to use my current 10Gb Ethernet card (Intel X540-T2 Dual-Port 2x 10GBase-T PCIe x8 2.1 P/N: X540T2).
Do you know which solution would be a better fit? if is not possible, what kind of 10G Ethernet card are you using in your build?

thank you
Nico

Phenic

Mar 17, 2015
I’m the middle of deciding which TinyMiniMicro solution to buy.
One of the thing that I’m looking to is to use my current 10Gb Ethernet card (Intel X540-T2 Dual-Port 2x 10GBase-T PCIe x8 2.1 P/N: X540T2).
Do you know which solution would be a better fit? if is not possible, what kind of 10G Ethernet card are you using in your build?

thank you
Nico
The first post in this thread has a table that specifies which Lenovo has a pcie slot and any of those with your x540 will be fine. I use m720q and m920q with mellanox connectx-3.

You'll need to find a riser from ebay or taobao which the first post also lists their part numbers.

nicoska

Feb 8, 2023
Thank you, yes I read the first post. Just wondering if anyone got a real experience with a full PCIe card and which are the things to look out (like the riser).

thank you again,

Parallax

Nov 8, 2020
London, UK
Thank you, yes I read the first post. Just wondering if anyone got a real experience with a full PCIe card and which are the things to look out (like the riser).
There are photos about 3-5 pages in to the thread of someone adding a x520-t1 I think to a Tiny, if I recall it's a pretty tight fit so you need to get the assembly order right.

You say "full" PCIe card - just to point out the obvious, it'll need to be half height and no more than 15cm (let's say, 14.9cm) long to fit. You may be able to squeeze another cm or so of length if you butcher the front panel assembly, remove the WiFi antenna, etc.

There's also this thread here.

Reactions: nicoska

Ernest1ca

Aug 4, 2022
DIY info: just installed RX6400 into my m720q with your help guys. Fits perfectly XFX Speedster swft105 and Sapphire Pulse RX6400.

Edit: Last year, when RX6400 was announced, first thing came in my mind if this would fit. Secondly, needed to wait untill someone has, to measure the exact size, then be lucky enough to have to find in stock somewhere. This happened beginning of august last year.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phenic

legit

Dec 24, 2021
I wanted to provide an update on some experiments I've been making lately. My aim was to use P350s in a boot drive + ZFS mirror configuration with 2x 10GbE. I've managed to do all that and my 3D printed baffles from the nice chap on Reddit arrived today - he had no issues shipping overseas to me (I'm in the UK) and was very prompt. So I've done my first full assembly at last and I took some photos before putting it into production.

I bought and shucked a standard 2.5" SSD (Patriot P210 but any should do), two 1TB NVMe drives, a Supermicro AOC-STGN-I2S, a SATA ribbon cable/caddy FRU, and an x16 riser for each P350 I have. I was very impressed with the quality of the printed baffles, they have metal nuts and screws built in so they are sturdy and feel like quality item. My photos focus a bit on that, since I've not seen any other pictures of the baffle and I figure some of you will be interested.

First of all, the interior :
View attachment 26821

... you will note judicious use of duct tape to keep the SSD isolated.

Then a couple of shots of the baffle itself :
View attachment 26822
View attachment 26823

... note the knockout you can use if you need to run a cable out the back.

Then you attach it to the card itself (note all the screw holes have metal screwpoints) :
View attachment 26824

... and finally we have the finished article :

View attachment 26825

I feel more proud of this than I should, given that all I really did was screw some parts together... but it's exciting to have so much power in a small unit and it's taken a while to get all the parts plus the 10GbE switch, DACs etc. together at a reasonable price. The baffle is great because it really makes the whole thing look neat and "as intended."

The configuration for each P350 (I have four) is :
CPU : i5-11500 (6c/12t, 65W)
RAM : 64GB 3200MHz (2x 32GB)
Drives : 1x 128GB Patriot P210 boot drive, 2x 1TB WD SN570
LAN : 2x 10GbE + 1x 1GbE onboard

Technically I also have a WiFi card fitted but I don't use it. I could replace it with a 2.5GbE Realtek card - I have one coming for my M75q Gen 2 - but I don't need a 4th NIC.
Just realized how much shorter that NIC is vs the CX-3 that I have, making it possible to have a short SSD in the front to begin with.

legit

Dec 24, 2021
IMG_2275.jpeg

P350 with ConnectX-3 CX312B and riser with zipties. Thinking of changing it out for the Supermicro AOC-STGN-I2S since that'd free up a bunch of space for a small SATA drive.

bigfellasdad

Apr 10, 2018
If you are after storage, at one point I had a 2tb nvme ssd, a 2tb chucked ssd, a 2tb extreme usb drive on a single m920q. With a 2tb boot nvme. 8tb in total from a.1l tiny lol

legit

Dec 24, 2021
If you are after storage, at one point I had a 2tb nvme ssd, a 2tb chucked ssd, a 2tb extreme usb drive on a single m920q. With a 2tb boot nvme. 8tb in total from a.1l tiny lol
I have 2x 2TB NVME drives in there right now, but think it's probably better to run them in a ZFS mirror (or at least play around with it like that), and move proxmox off to the sata drive.