Lenovo Thinkcentre M600 J3710 8GB 500GB ($56+$15 shipping)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Mithril

Sep 13, 2019
I don't see these (either the M600 or M700) listed in the TMM reference thread. Is there already a discussion thread? I'm curious about what expandability and power use looks like.

Reactions: Samir

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
I don't see these (either the M600 or M700) listed in the TMM reference thread. Is there already a discussion thread? I'm curious about what expandability and power use looks like.
For a small box, expandability is pretty good. The M600 has a BGA CPU so it's not upgradable but the M700 has a socket 1151 so you can upgrade the CPU. Both have 2 memory slots. Not sure about the max memory but I have 16gb in the M600. They have room for 1 2.5 SSD and a SATA M.2 slot. The M700 came with a wireless card but no antenna. The M600 didn't come with wireless but I found a kit (card and antenna) on ebay for cheap. Case is metal with a plastic front bezel.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
  • Love

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
For a small box, expandability is pretty good. The M600 has a BGA CPU so it's not upgradable but the M700 has a socket 1151 so you can upgrade the CPU. Both have 2 memory slots. Not sure about the max memory but I have 16gb in the M600. They have room for 1 2.5 SSD and a SATA M.2 slot. The M700 came with a wireless card but no antenna. The M600 didn't come with wireless but I found a kit (card and antenna) on ebay for cheap. Case is metal with a plastic front bezel.
These can probably also take 16GB modules for a total of 32GB, but that's typically very expensive.

Mithril

Sep 13, 2019
Will these complain if you use of of the adaptors that converts a standard jack to the Lenovo one? I try to keep my reliance on proprietary things to a minimum.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Will these complain if you use of of the adaptors that converts a standard jack to the Lenovo one? I try to keep my reliance on proprietary things to a minimum.
Don't see why they wouldn't but both generic and Lenovo PSU's are cheap and readily available.

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Don't see why they wouldn't but both generic and Lenovo PSU's are cheap and readily available.
I'd expect them to be following in Dell and HP's footsteps to make generic or converted power supplies not work. As cheap as a used genuine power supply is and with as shady and dangerous as generic ones are, I wouldn't even think of running anything but a genuine one.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Same here. I just bought a genuine one on eBay for $30 used. It's in pristine condition and works as advertised.

And it's also for my specific model and says so on the PSU. Seller asks for the model extension when you buy it.

Mithril

Sep 13, 2019
Genuine or not isn't my issue. Specific and proprietary is. I don't need 5 things that each need their own needlessly specific power supply(and keeping a spare of said thing on hand), especially for things that idle at 10-20 watts. 12v and 19v are perfectly reasonable standards, with perfectly acceptable safe quality units.

Personally my long term goal is most low power items on shared redundant DC supplies with DC-DC from batteries as backup. So for me there is a plethora of reasons to avoid anything that couldn't be converted with a simple adaptor (or don't use some other standard like USB-C PD).

Cruzader

Jan 1, 2021
Personally my long term goal is most low power items on shared redundant DC supplies with DC-DC from batteries as backup. So for me there is a plethora of reasons to avoid anything that couldn't be converted with a simple adaptor (or don't use some other standard like USB-C PD).
Aslong as they get the correct voltage they are happy.

For non-standard connector DC input stuff like this i solder on a short lead with my regular barrel size.
So when i put 5-20 boards on bench for a temporary setup they all fit onto my adapters with 4-8 leads each without any hassle.

Individual adapters is just such a mess, hassle to keep track of and consumption overhead you dont really need.

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Genuine or not isn't my issue. Specific and proprietary is. I don't need 5 things that each need their own needlessly specific power supply(and keeping a spare of said thing on hand), especially for things that idle at 10-20 watts. 12v and 19v are perfectly reasonable standards, with perfectly acceptable safe quality units.

You probably won't be able to do this without some hackery around the protective circuits on newer Dell/HP/etc. I don't think we know if this unit has got any type of protective circuit on it.

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO

For non-standard connector DC input stuff like this i solder on a short lead with my regular barrel size.
So when i put 5-20 boards on bench for a temporary setup they all fit onto my adapters with 4-8 leads each without any hassle.

Individual adapters is just such a mess, hassle to keep track of and consumption overhead you dont really need.
Yep, this was what I was thinking would be necessary. Glad to know it works. :)

Mithril

Sep 13, 2019

Much harder to mess up a passive adaptor VS soldering on a multilayer board :D

Cruzader

Jan 1, 2021
You probably won't be able to do this without some hackery around the protective circuits on newer Dell/HP/etc. I don't think we know if this unit has got any type of protective circuit on it.
You can use old dumb power bricks on new dell/hp stuff with just a tiny adapter to adjust barrel size.

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
You can use old dumb power bricks on new dell/hp stuff with just a tiny adapter to adjust barrel size.
This is good to know as I got a few conversion/extension kits from best buy while they still had them.

bilson

Oct 5, 2016
Not a bad deal on these, curious if they have a PCI-e slot like the M73 has.
I've used such a converter on Lenovo M73 (slightly older model) to convert a geniune lenovo barrel type power adapter from a laptop to the square one the M73 takes. Worked without a problem.