Lenovo SA120 rear SATA drives

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Gnodu

Oct 10, 2015
link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/4XF0F28766-ThinkServer-2-5-SATA-SSD-Cage-with-SATA-Interposers/161880154174

Showing buyout (quantity available) for $75 (should be a pair of them/4 drives, per description.

Of course, I bought a while back and paid retail, 'cause I couldn't find a cheaper supplier... Only to then buy four killer SSDs in the infamous NewEgg sale... Which are, of course, SAS. Anyhow, anyone looking to add built in cache, these are well worth considering if you have an SA120.

Side note-- if you don't want to use SATA, you CAN get creative with those slots and make a SAS SSD work. Just sayin'.

Hope someone finds this useful!

DonJon

Apr 9, 2016
Those drive cages come with SATA interposers. And if you are trying to use SATA 3 SSDs on it, they get negotiated at 3Gbps and not at 6Gbps. So I went back in using the SSD adapters for the trays in the front drive bays to get full speed.

Gnodu

Oct 10, 2015
@DonJon- thanks, I did not know that-- as I said, I ended up using bubblegum and tape to make the SAS ports on the back work. They are definitely running at 6gbps. (No interposer involved, obviously)

chan1wong1

May 17, 2016

Gnodu

Oct 10, 2015
I'm actually really curious now-- will plug in and try this weekend.

Assuming it is 6Gbps (not 3), then $75 is a good deal, considering what they are, how well made, and name brand-- at least in my opinion. The SA120, [fan issue and compatible controller cards aside (meaning that you can changre the fan speed with them!)] is a pretty good deal overall if you get it on sale-- but being able to put cache drives right in it was easily worth $75 IMO.

(Okay, so I think I paid about 250-- and it still would have been worth that to me just to avoid the cabling and to keep them all together... but of course, this forum had to ruin it all for me by getting me stated in the SAS SSD world... I've been a member of the dark side ever since!!!)

I'm not sure I'm getting much benefit from the SAS SSD in this case... but since that's what I use for everything important now... I'll post results after I double check. I'll also double check that I have the same part number as described in the auction... am wondering if there might have been a 3GB version of the interposers at some point?

Jemplayer

Jun 25, 2016
Gulf of Mexico
Dammit price is up to $107.

I didn't realize it was for a pair or I would have got them when the deal was first posted.

Still a great deal since they retail for like $250 a piece right?

techtoys

Feb 25, 2016
I have been watching this for a while.$75 is the lowest price. Seller keeps moving the ebay listing price around, smart!
Seller also sells it on his website for $88 here

DonJon

Apr 9, 2016
There was no deal at $75. They were priced at $75 for ages. Someone is watching this forum and that triggered the price change I would say. Yes I have tried them long ago bought for $75 and had to abandon since any SSD I put in them also using multiple RAID adapters would negotiate only at 3Gbps. I have only tried them with a single I/O module. Did not try with dual I/O modules though. Installed the same SSDs with same controllers in the 3.5 bay with adapters and voila 6Gbps. BTW the fans could be spin down using the SA Utility software with compatible RAID/HBA controllers. Works with 9260-8i, 9211-8e, 9280-8e/4i4e

Last edited:

techtoys

Feb 25, 2016
bought a loaded SA120 a while back for $900 shipped including drives and LSI (Lenovo) card.
Thinking about another for $200 to daisy chain. 12 trays will set me back about $120.
I think best I have seen on trays is $100 for 12.

given the hassles with getting 6 Gbps ... I would rather spend on another SA120.

I don't think the post triggered it. Seller has been moving price around.
Again, you can buy on his website for $88

MountainDew

Oct 19, 2015
There was no deal at $75. They were priced at $75 for ages. BTW the fans could be spin down using the SA Utility software with compatible RAID/HBA controllers. Works with 9260-8i, 9211-8e, 9280-8e/4i4e
They were definitely at $75 for awhile; however, before OP's post, I did see the price fluctuate above $100 at one point. I did buy a set at $75 thanks to this post.

About the fans - I just wish the setting would hold after a power loss!

MountainDew

Oct 19, 2015
I'm actually really curious now-- will plug in and try this weekend.

Assuming it is 6Gbps (not 3), then $75 is a good deal, considering what they are, how well made, and name brand-- at least in my opinion. The SA120, [fan issue and compatible controller cards aside (meaning that you can changre the fan speed with them!)] is a pretty good deal overall if you get it on sale-- but being able to put cache drives right in it was easily worth $75 IMO.

(Okay, so I think I paid about 250-- and it still would have been worth that to me just to avoid the cabling and to keep them all together... but of course, this forum had to ruin it all for me by getting me stated in the SAS SSD world... I've been a member of the dark side ever since!!!)

I'm not sure I'm getting much benefit from the SAS SSD in this case... but since that's what I use for everything important now... I'll post results after I double check. I'll also double check that I have the same part number as described in the auction... am wondering if there might have been a 3GB version of the interposers at some point?
Did you happen to test this out?

MountainDew

Oct 19, 2015
I'm wondering what size hard drives I should buy? I'm a moderate VM user and at most would have 3-4 running continuously while streaming to 1-2 media players.

MountainDew

Oct 19, 2015
For those that have the cage, do you have a part # for the trays? Every time I find one, it doesn't state if it's compatible with the SA120