Lenovo M83 tiny i5-4590T 8g 500gb $124.50(buyer offer can be lower)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

newabc

Jan 20, 2019
Lenovo M83 tiny i5-4590T, 8g ram, 500gb hdd with win10 pro with shipping, $124.50 for 1.
Gave a buyer offer 119.95, automatically accepted.

I also ordered a HP t730. I will run suricata. I will compare them 2-3 weeks later.

I cannot find the installation guide for pci-e slot. As @jirijanata said, it has no pci-e slot.
The maintenance guide of M83 and M93p. This model is M83 tiny "10E9".
https://download.lenovo.com/pccbbs/thinkcentre_pdf/m83m93p_hmm.pdf

Here also a M93p with similar cpu, ram and hdd, $139, no buyer offer. As @jirijanata said, the major difference of them is M83 is Q85 motherboard but M93p is Q87.

The only way to use the mini pci-e slot with similar USFF / tiny / micro form factor is a PCI-E EXP GDC(External Laptop Video Card Dock Graphics Card Laptop Docking Station ( Mini PCI-E / NGFF / Expresscard interface)). As this one done on a Dell 3020m:

Last edited:
Reactions: Samir

zhongfu

Aug 10, 2018
Singapore
zhongfu.li
If you do want a MFF PC with a PCIe slot, you'd have to look at the ThinkCentre M720/M920 (q/x), or the M910x. Those use CFL and KBL CPUs respectively, so they aren't that cheap right now.

Otherwise, this isn't a very good price for a Haswell MFF PC imo. You could find similar *Skylake* MFF desktops (with an i5-6500 or 6500T) for $100-150 showing up somewhat frequently on eBay, although they do get snapped up pretty fast.

mimino

Nov 2, 2018
Without a PCIe slot these machines may be attractive as HTPC boxes at best. But at this price point I'm not even sure of that.

gardar

Nov 15, 2012
It's got a mini pcie slot, it's got a few whitelisted wlan cards that it supports but you can change that quite easily and use whatever mini pcie card you want.

I've got a m93p tiny and I have a mini pcie Ethernet card in it.
Most of the mini pcie Ethernet cards are broadcom but there do exist some Intel mini pcie cards but they are quite expensive,

Another option would to use a minipcie to pcie converter and perhaps fit a full size pcie card in the external cd drive that was available for these machines.

That being said I don't think this is a great deal.

Attachments

Reactions: Samir and newabc

KC8FLB

Aug 12, 2018
I bought one of these a few years back as a primary surfing machine for my wife. They sell vesa Mount for it and I mounted it to to back of her 27” monitor. Wireless keyboards and mouse turn it into a very cable free clean machine that she loves. Works great.

KC8FLB

Aug 12, 2018
Thanks. It is sad. I will use it as HTPC to TV or plex server after the test.
if you are using as plex server, I would recommend skipping this as the intel processor is too old. Get something with a coffee lake or newer (intel 8th generation + cpu) with much better quick sync capability for amazing transcoding performance while being extremely power efficient. Quick sync hardware transcoding has gotten much much better with newer generation intel cpu even on the very low end cpu sku. An 8th gen + intel dual core low end power sipping celeron with quick sync will run circles around an older 4th gen top of the line cpu with quick sync both in raw power/amount of transcodes and also in the transcoded video quality.

WANg

Jun 10, 2018
New York, NY
Eh. If you want a super-cheap corporate NUC, I know a liquidator is selling HP t820s for about 30 USD each (extra 20 USD for shipping from long island). The t820 is just a re-skinned HP EliteDesk 800 G1 Mini pretending to be a thin client - swap out the Pentium G3220 (gimped i3 and not an Atom) for a Haswell/Broadwell Core for more oooomph, and add DDR3 RAM/mSATA or regular 2.5" SSD as you see fit. Just remember that Haswells are limited to 8GB SODIMMs, while Broadwells can do 16GB. But yeah, if it's a NUC/corporate NUC and you plan to use it as Plex, try not to go for anything older than Skylake/Kaby Lake (H265/HEVC and VP8/9 hardware support).

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
I bought one of these a few years back as a primary surfing machine for my wife. They sell vesa Mount for it and I mounted it to to back of her 27” monitor. Wireless keyboards and mouse turn it into a very cable free clean machine that she loves. Works great.
Yep, these are ideal for this purpose. You'll see them used this way in a lot of offices. Makes it easy for someone to check one out thoroughly though if it's not blocked/hidden somehow, which personally I would consider a security risk.

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Eh. If you want a super-cheap corporate NUC, I know a liquidator is selling HP t820s for about 30 USD each (extra 20 USD for shipping from long island). The t820 is just a re-skinned HP EliteDesk 800 G1 Mini pretending to be a thin client - swap out the Pentium G3220 (gimped i3 and not an Atom) for a Haswell/Broadwell Core for more oooomph, and add DDR3 RAM/mSATA or regular 2.5" SSD as you see fit. Just remember that Haswells are limited to 8GB SODIMMs, while Broadwells can do 16GB. But yeah, if it's a NUC/corporate NUC and you plan to use it as Plex, try not to go for anything older than Skylake/Kaby Lake (H265/HEVC and VP8/9 hardware support).
These would have been nice for the price if they came with storage and ram as well as the os. I didn't see a coa so I'm assuming it's a digital license?

BeTeP

Mar 23, 2019
The t820 is just a re-skinned HP EliteDesk 800 G1 Mini
t820 is not a "Mini". It is USDT. I have bought a bunch of them for about $100 shipped ea with i5-4670S/8Gb/128Gb just couple of years ago. They are still ok for general use.

WANg

Jun 10, 2018
New York, NY
t820 is not a "Mini". It is USDT. I have bought a bunch of them for about $100 shipped ea with i5-4670S/8Gb/128Gb just couple of years ago. They are still ok for general use.
Almost the same - The USDT have a PCIe x16 slot, but the t820 doesn't, so it's functionally a Mini in a USDT body. Well, kinda like a Mini+, since the Mini doesn't have an mSATA slot, and the t820 does. That t820...is a strange bird.

BeTeP

Mar 23, 2019
The USDT have a PCIe x16 slot, but the t820 doesn't, so it's functionally a Mini in a USDT body
USDT does not have a PCIe x16. You are confusing it with SFF. HP EliteDesk 800 G1 USDT is identical to t820 - they share both chassis and motherboards.

My main point was that HP Mini is functionally similar to the Lenovo Tiny in the original post. Whereas HP t820/EliteDesk USDT is much larger system. So for anyone who cares about chassis dimensions these are not suitable alternative.

Last edited:

WANg

Jun 10, 2018
New York, NY
USDT does not have a PCIe x16. You are confusing it with SFF. HP EliteDesk 800 G1 USDT is identical to t820 - they share both chassis and motherboards.

My main point was that HP Mini is functionally similar to the Lenovo Tiny in the original post. Whereas HP t820/EliteDesk USDT is much larger system. So for anyone who cares about chassis dimensions these are not suitable alternative.
It doesn't? Why did the USDT version of the 800G1 Quickspecs list several PCIe low form factor graphics cards as options? I thought the reason why HP offered a super-NUC was because....Oh. The USDT version has an MXM slot...useful if you like non-Intel video options but no breakouts to take a full PCIe card..

I stand corrected - yeah, corporate NUCs are the Minis, Micros or Tinys (what HP, Dell and Lenovo call their smallest desktop offerings). That being said, there were people here talking about using $80 HP 290 mini-desktops as Proxmox or Plex boxes, so its not entirely out of possibility of interest...and they are slightly bigger boxes for the princely sum of 50 USD including shipping.
The USDTs can do 2 drives (mSATA + SATA)...might be of interest to someone looking for more storage in their units.