Lenovo M700/M900 BIOS mod to Coffee Lake CPUs

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

j_h_o

Apr 21, 2015
California, US
Do you have the steps you followed to mod the BIOS, to get it working/stable on an M700? I supposed I could just use yours if you have it in your archive - but this wouldn't preserve the MACs, etc. right?

mobilenvidia

Sep 25, 2011
New Zealand
I have all the files needed and have a link over here, link in that post
Copy of already modified files are in there but based of my machines (so back your BIOS !!)

Boot to BIOS take a copy of the page with the UUID and other data
There is an app that extracts it but not had a chance to look at this yet.
You'll probably will need to to put the data back as it will all go after flash

Backup your current BIOS (16MB) with CH341A programmer, there are apps that might do this also but can't guarantee results
Keep a copy of this BIOS somewhere safe and a copy to work on
Grab newest M710q BIOS (8MB) from Lenovo support
Place M710q BIOS in the 2nd half of the backup BIOS (8-16MB region) use HxD app (whoops you'll need to DL this forgot to add)
Run 'Coffeetime 0.92'
Patch all every thing you can incl 'Extra' tab
ME leave this alone, won't upgrade anyways
VBIOS+GOP update both to highest versions, have update to 228 ticked
Now with the M700 you only seem to have room for 3x Microcodes choose as you see fit, tick:
506E3 = Skylake
906E9 = Kaby Lake
906EB = Coffee Lake B0 CPUs (these max out at 4 oores) and don't need CPU pad mods
Choose others as you like, 906Ex are all Coffee Lakes with 6 or 8 cores but need CPU pad mods

With 'UBU' you can update the Network ROMs too but from memory the M700 gives an error when doing it
Not sure if you can just ignore it
You can just leave it as is, LAN works without the update

take out Coin battery
Flash Modded BIOS (16MB)
Put battery back in
Plug in and wait, it may reboot a couple of times as it sorts its self out, to who what why it is

If black screen try another DP port
If nothing happens (it should reboot at least once) something is wrong, reflash another BIOS or original backup

If no SATA port shows and machine won't boot as can't see drive
Go into BIOS on exit page set the OS default to 'YES' when machine now boots it should say 'Scanning for Media', ESC out if it goes through network boot options (can be turned off in BIOS)

Have fun

Last edited:

j_h_o

Apr 21, 2015
California, US
If I have a larger external PSU, can these boards/units/cooling handle a non-T CPU? 65w instead of 35w?

You've only been doing this with -T CPUs at 35w, correct?

mobilenvidia

Sep 25, 2011
New Zealand
If I have a larger external PSU, can these boards/units/cooling handle a non-T CPU? 65w instead of 35w?

You've only been doing this with -T CPUs at 35w, correct?
The 910x, 920x, P320, 330 and 340 can all take up to 65w CPU's
I assume these have better heat pipes and probably faster spinning fans
120w PSU would be the way to go for these units if kitting out with USB powered drives/LAN etc

zzp8202

Jan 15, 2021
Comparison of CPUs I've worked with on both the M700 and M900
To see if its worth while to upgrade to a Coffee Lake CPU
I'm thinking a Kaby Lake CPU would suffice for a HTPC, as it has no less video decoding/encoding functions
May save a few $$
But the i3-9100T is a nice CPU for home use, not so if you are looking at vPro where it falls over, but I've never used it yet
Its fast doesn't gobble much power, first i3 to have turbo boost and HW Meltdown/Spectre mitigations

You could take the Coffee Lake CPU support further and link some pads on the CPU together and separate pads from pins on others
A wrong move here could render CPU and/or Motherboard broken
But a i7-9700T 8core/16 thread CPU is what's on offer to temp you

View attachment 16326
@mobilenvidia

can you please share your mod BIOS for Lenovo M700/M900?
I have failed update the BIOS and withnot backup,now it is unworked.
BTW: actual my computer model is NEC MC-R PC-MK26ECZDR, they with same mainboard.

My E-mail: zzp8202@gmail.com

mobilenvidia

Sep 25, 2011
New Zealand
Head on over here:
Lenovo M700 Tiny PC experiences
In first post is a link to a compressed file with my backups of both M700 and M900 + modified BIOS's as well
Good luck in getting back

zzp8202

Jan 15, 2021
[ QUOTE = “ mobileenvidia,post: 291199,member: 435”]
Head on over here:
到这边来:
[ URL unfurl = “ true”] Lenovo M700 Tiny PC experiences

联想 M700 Tiny PC 体验
In first post is a link to a compressed file with my backups of both M700 and M900 + modified BIOS's as well
在第一篇文章是一个链接到一个压缩文件与我的备份 M700和 M900 + 修改的 BIOS 的以及
Good luck in getting back
祝你回来顺利
[/QUOTE ]
@mobilenvidia

Thank you so much.

I have wakeup my computer with you backuped bios(M900),and inject ME fit the long startup time,only LAN is not work, I have no idea now.
Oddly, it still shows the NEC logo and the same menu as the NEC, Maybe it uses the exact same BIOS, but checks an item to decide which menu to use.

Last edited:

rogu22

Feb 26, 2021
Hello,
at first big thx for mobilenvidia for analyse how to upgrade cpu.

I read also blog Lenovo M700 Tiny PC experiences.
I have M710Q.
I made bios backup, used for that FPTW tool.
ftpw64.jpg

I modded this bios in the coffetime. I compared with your modded bios for M700 attached screenshot left.
So can you please take a look if my modded bios is OK. Should i change something?
compare m700vsm710q.jpg

based on your information below :

"With the M910q you shouldn't have to copy and paste a BIOS as the M910q already supports Kaby Lake (the only reason for copy/pasting as M900 doesn't support Kaby Lake)
You should just be be able to get a backup of your M910q BIOS (16MB) then run CoffeeTime over it, then copy the result back to EEPROM"

it is enough only flash bios, but what about ME, UUID, MAC and etc.. ?
Of course in emergency i have programmer CH341A with clips, but i plan to flash modded bios with FTW tool. Some time ago it works for Ga Z270 HD3P with i3-8100.

Regards
Wojtek

Last edited:

mobilenvidia

Sep 25, 2011
New Zealand
Yup, that should do it, M710/910 already support Kaby Lake so my first step isn't needed

I didn't update the ME FW or all the other stuff ie UUID etc, I just put up with the Network booting attempt, as I very rarely reboot my unit

How ever you flash is up to you, I find it easier to flash with laptop and CH341A plugged into the EPROM on M900 in my case
But SW flashing should work just as well, UNLESS SW avoids flashing certain areas

mobilenvidia

Sep 25, 2011
New Zealand
Shifting rental houses soon, got a cheaper place while we wait for house to get rebuilt, which is taking way longer than hoped
Current house fully furnished new house not, so bit of a buying spree
New 4k/60 TV purchased and working
Here are my findings with 4k60 and i9300T
The i9300T doesn't support 4k60/HDMI2.0 out of the box, it does support DP 1.2 which can do 4k60,BUT if you convert to HDMI via cable it defaults back to HDMI 1.4 (4k30)
To get 4k60 you NEED a DP to HDMI active converter, this allows full UHD at 60hz

The CPU is getting freaked out at 4k60, I need to fiddle with MPC HC settings to get stutter free playback
TV has limited range of audio it can decode, and my quickly bought second hand AV Receiver doesn't pass through 4k30 or 60
TV lack of decoders could be reason for stutter
I'll need to sort something out here, just not sure which route to take, full decoder but 2 channel, 7.2 AV Amp, DAC + Stereo AMP or Amp with USB DAC built in
Did try video out of M700/900 one DP going to TV via Active HDMI converter, and other DP going to amp to do the audio but syncing is way out, I'll need to play some more with this, would be nice if I could get this to work while I decide on which amp route to take

But the i9300T does do h265, HDMI 2.0 but just not much room to spare, and all this on a BIOS modified M700/900 tiny that now supports a Coffee Lake CPU
Machine is on 24/7 and doesn't miss a beat, been very impressed with it

Reactions: Aluminat

mobilenvidia

Sep 25, 2011
New Zealand
Right just got another 4k/60 HDMI cable
So
DP1 on M700/900 goes to HDMI2 on TV via active DP to HDMI 2.0 adaptor
DP2 on M700/900 goes to BD/DVD on Amp via DP to HDMI cable then out to TV HDMI1 (ARC)
To get 4k60 AND sound via Amp desktop has to set to 'Extended' other wise Computer won't see the AMP for audio out
I've used MPC HC for years to watch movies but I couldn't for the life of me get both picture and sound to pay nice
So tried MPC BE and viola it works, sound sound setting tweaks to use WASAPI
Now have 4k60 and sound going out via AV Amp

Next issue is Dolby Vision, learning curve steep here, I'm watching green/Purple video's and googling why that is
Display port will never allow HDCP to pass through by sounds of it
Intel CPUs don't support HDMI 2.0 till the 11th Gen, so buggered there for cheap system
So only hope keeping it cheap is to find a TinyPC with HDMI (1.4) port and put up with 4k30, or just not have Dolby Vision
I don't think the M700/900 came with HDMI ports but must check.

But sound even with just 2x speakers is rather nice

Reactions: Aluminat

mobilenvidia

Sep 25, 2011
New Zealand
Hmmm, Windows 10 caught me unawares by doing a BIOS update in its preview update along .NET
This has thrown a spanner in my works

Windows update decided to grab the M910 BIOS from March and apply it
I noticed too late
This BIOS of course will undo all the mods applied to the M900 BIOS, and not boot the i3-9100T
To top it off the SOC8 clip leads decided break tried soldering it but gave up
Ordered a new more robust one, but will no doubt take many weeks to arrive from China
So currently running an old laptop (6700HQ + Geforce 960M)
On laptop HEVC looks to be CPU decoded as 2160p video stutters like crazy = no decoding of any video, 960M included

Any way lesson learned if running modded BIOS keep an eye on Windows updates as it now also check for BIOS updates
I'll be back in a while once back up and running, there is a small chance EEPROM might be buggered

cloud.pt

May 19, 2021
Hmmm, Windows 10 caught me unawares by doing a BIOS update in its preview update along .NET
This has thrown a spanner in my works

Windows update decided to grab the M910 BIOS from March and apply it
I noticed too late
This BIOS of course will undo all the mods applied to the M900 BIOS, and not boot the i3-9100T
To top it off the SOC8 clip leads decided break tried soldering it but gave up
Ordered a new more robust one, but will no doubt take many weeks to arrive from China
So currently running an old laptop (6700HQ + Geforce 960M)
On laptop HEVC looks to be CPU decoded as 2160p video stutters like crazy = no decoding of any video, 960M included

Any way lesson learned if running modded BIOS keep an eye on Windows updates as it now also check for BIOS updates
I'll be back in a while once back up and running, there is a small chance EEPROM might be buggered
Most modern (Skylake?) onwards Dell machines have a BIOS setting "Security -> UEFI capsule firmware updates" checkmark that can be toggled for unattended, automatic updates. They will still show in the Windows Updates settings page at "Optional Downloads -> Driver Updates " usually as "Dell inc Firmware". I'm pretty sure Lenovo, HP etc should also have a setting like this on their BIOS/UEFI menu.

Microsoft has been pushing this "thing" for some years now for their qualified vendors, probably offering them discounts on bulk licenses or for certification to get a fancy sticker. Reminds me of Modern Standby (previously Connected Standby), which they also use to pervasively and inconspicuously push updates to people, with the excuse of making computers more like "always on" smartphones which notify (and can spy) you more often. Devices supporting this must NOT support S3 sleep, which was actually useful, power-saving, and fast enough... But they would rather you spend 3 or 4 more kWh per year, because "Windows is a service" and they want to force their bi-anual "OS vision" on you... And I thought Apple was bad at a point for selling MacOS (which they now don't and still keep upgrades/updates opt-in), but how the tables have turned.

mobilenvidia

Sep 25, 2011
New Zealand
Lenovo Tiny's have very limited BIOS settings, don't recall any update auto or not

The SOC8 clip looks to have arrived in the country so hoping next week to be back up and running
Currently using my old Dell Inspiron 7559 laptop with lid closed, not working too bad but once again limited to Skylake CPU video decoding
So having M900 back running will be great

mobilenvidia

Sep 25, 2011
New Zealand
New SOC8 clip arrived, much better built than the cheap all in one, should last many flashes, already done a heap but...
I can't get the i3-9100T to work in the M900
I have a feeling that the BIOS update(M910) that Windows insisted on which had only Security/Microcode updates wrote either the Sky or KabyLake Microcode to the Coffee Lake CPU
No matter what BIOS I write to the M900 it shows no life with the 9100T, where before there was life

Just a warning to others thinking or having done the Coffee Lake mod, be wary of Windows update grabbing a BIOS update in its update
The computer will look like a Kaby Lake version (with Coffee Lake support hacked in) and grab BIOS for that
First thing Windows did when I rebooted M900 with i5-6500T was grab the latest M900 BIOS update

Now do I get another CPU or a Coffee Lake Mobo, or just bite the bullet and grab a Coffee Lake+ System
Anything I may have missed ?

Tico007

Jul 15, 2021
I'm back in the saddle got a:
M900
i5-6500T
8GB
128GB SSD coming, paid too much but these are popular and I need something to do at nights
BUT also got a:
i3-9100T 4c/4t 3.1Ghz base, 3.7Ghz turbo boost coming from Ebay, I'll attempt to do the Coffee Lake BIOS mod
The Coffee Lake BIOS mod without working on the CPU socket means only 4core CPU's will work
So the i3-9300T would be fastest but only 100Mhz faster and almost twice the price not worth it
9th gen series i3's better value than 8th gen as support Turbo boost
But with Socket blanking and joining pins all CPUs (35w) can be used up 9900T (8/16)

Will be good to get my hands dirty again
Do you happen to have the bios of the m900 unmodified?