Lenovo EMC PX4-400 series diskless NAS

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Dark

Mar 9, 2019
Take this with a grain of salt...

Seems like a decent deal when you factor in that it's running x86 architecture (albeit slow).

Root page: NAS Server Archives | Parallel Miner

4-Bay Desktop $144-
1596294070543.png

4-Bay Rack mount $140-
1596294126437.png

(not as great of a deal IMO) 12-Bay rack mount $379-
1596294239254.png

Reactions: Samir

amalurk

Dec 16, 2016
Cheap but old atoms. Does it support >4tb drives? Is it locked on a custom OS? Too old IMHO.

Reactions: Samir

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Cheap but old atoms. Does it support >4tb drives? Is it locked on a custom OS? Too old IMHO.
It should support at least 8TB, although a single volume may be limited to 16TB. I purchased this diskless unit from Centrix for $34 shipped ($49 now) and it worked with an 8TB Exos straight out of the box without a firmware update even though a new one was available:

I don't think the hardware is locked to a particlar OS, so I think you could run something else on it, although with the older cpu the performance may not be so great. The ram is upgradeable though with standard modules so you can throw plenty of ram at it. In my unit, the performance is the same as my Intel ss4200-e, which ironically runs the first incarnation of the emc software. Storagereview did a good review on a 12-bay which should be similar to the other rack units:

Parallel Miner is also Centrix Corporation and the prices between the two can be different with Centrix having free shipping:

Check the reviews on these units before you buy--they do have certain limitations. But the price point on the smaller desktop units makes them a steal for what they can do. Also, consider adding drives as they are using OEM HGST midline enterprise sata drives in the units that come with drives.

I just saw this rack unit for $100 at parallel miner that's 1 gen older than the twin in the OP, but for $40 less: