Layer 3 Switch vs Router

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

rnavarro

Feb 14, 2013
Hey Guys,

I have a seemingly basic question. What's the difference between using a layer 3 switch and a router? (Assuming I have a copper handoff at the colo)

I'm considering replacing a pfsense box with a layer 3 switch (I need the switch, so I figure if it does all the same things why not combine the two?)

capn_pineapple

Aug 28, 2013
Straight from wiki...

Layer 3 Switching

The major difference between the packet switching operation of a router and that of a Layer 3 switch is the physical implementation. In general-purpose routers, packet switching takes place using software that runs on a microprocessor, whereas a Layer 3 switch performs this using dedicated application-specific integrated circuit (ASIC) hardware.
So there's going to be far less overhead in terms of the switching side but any other plugins that you may have with PFSense (squid etc) will not be available.

rnavarro

Feb 14, 2013
That makes sense that any additional services wouldn't be provided.

However, in general, can L3 switches to any kind of NAT-ing? Or do they strictly perform the function of routing between subnets?

Can they still provide basic network services, like DHCP and a basic firewall?

Sorry, i'm pretty new to all of this trying to read up what I can.

capn_pineapple

Aug 28, 2013
Last edited:

mrkrad

Oct 13, 2012
nat and vpn are typically on firewall appliances.

dhcp is not uncommon on L3 switches - more typical is dhcp relay.

You want a next-gen firewall to do L4-L7 policy routing