Latest build - Trying S2600CP2J, will document build

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Bill1950

Aug 12, 2016
I have recently build a PC using an ASRock Rack EP2C602-4L/D16 with 2 x E5-2670 v1, 32GB, a GTX 970 and some other support peripherals. Very nice and fun to build even though there were some hardware failures along the line. I keep hearing about the Intel S2600CP2J. Thought I'd take up the challenge. I'm a relative novice at building more complex systems.

Accumulating parts for a build will consist of:

S2600CP2J (Natex)*
64GB PC3-12800R (Natex)*
2 x E5-2665 v1 (Natex)*
Phanteks Enthoo Pro PH-ES614P
EVGA Supernova 750B1
2X Supermicro SNK-P0050AP4
nVidia GTX 750Ti
Some drives, DVD and SSD that I have laying around

Not sure what operating system I'll use.

* Special order Natex kit - Needs some explanation. I requested an upgrade to the same kit using 2 x E5-2650 SR0KQs paying the price difference for the processors ($16 total). Libby responded quickly with an affirmative answer. We worked out the details without a hitch. Customer service from Libby was very positive. Very flexible and easy to work with. The upgrade change the CPU clock rate from 2.0ghz to 2.4ghz. 20% jump. Heat is NOT an issue in my application. I'm happy. Thank you Libby!

Parts started coming it today. As I finish a completely unrelated non-computer project, I will start building this system.

I have a few concerns before I even start to unwrap and unpack the parts. Thanks in advance for any insight.

. How well does the motherboard fit into the Phanteks case?
. Will both of the 8-pin CPU power cables reach the sockets OK?
. Do the case fan headers on the MB support 3-pin and 4-pin case fan connectors?
. Are there any pitfalls I need to avoid?

In general terms as related to performance, is it better to run the video card off of CPU0 or CPU1?

Last edited:

Bill1950

Aug 12, 2016
The Enthoo Pro has an integrated fan controller. The controller allows 6 fans, including CPU heatsink fans, to be connected to a single hub. The hub is connected to a PWM connector on the motherboard, preferably a CPU fan connector. In this configuration, a SATA connector is provided to supply supplemental power to the fans connected to the hub.

If the motherboard connector does not provide true PWM fan control but does regulate fan speed by varying voltage, the fan speed will be regulated as long as the total fan load does not exceed the 30 watts. The SATA connector may not be used in this configuration since it will cause the fans to run at full speed.

This fan provides a convenient method of fan speed control to the case fans. I do not plan to use the CPU fan connector for PWM control of case fans. I will try to use a 4-pin PWM case fan connectors to check case fan functionality using the hub.

Bill1950

Aug 12, 2016
Enthoo Pro fan controller hub with two case fans already plugged in and the motherboard PWM connector cable.

fan header block.gif

Reactions: T_Minus

Bill1950

Aug 12, 2016
I picked up a pair of SuperMicro SNK-P0050AP4 CPU heatsink fans combos. I have used them on the previous PC build and have been VERY satisfied with their performance, very quiet, works with narrow or wide mounts. Really keeps the CPUs cool. They come with a built on cooling "grease" but with all the testing on a previous build, I ended up just using a generic white silicone heat grease. I will probably use the same white grease if I have to remove the units from the CPUs on this build. I'm not sure I've ever seem the CPU temps on either E5-2670 ever exceed 55C even under the heaviest loads I shoot at them. Got them from PC Rush for less than $40 each including free shipping. Here's a photo I stole from somewhere.

SM SNK-P0050AP4.gif

The fan is secured / removed with two screws on the top of the unit. The mounting brackets are interchangeable to allow for the different motherboard mount configurations.

Last edited:

Bill1950

Aug 12, 2016
There have been a couple of delays, some due to shipping, some due to time conflicts, one due to yours truly forgetting to order an I/O shield. The I/O shield is due to arrive on Tuesday when the fun will resume.

Logan

Feb 22, 2017
I have a few concerns before I even start to unwrap and unpack the parts. Thanks in advance for any insight.

. How well does the motherboard fit into the Phanteks case?
I am especially interested in this. Will you (need to) drill additional holes?

Bill1950

Aug 12, 2016
I haven't tried test-fitting the mb into the case yet. Awaiting I/O shield to help properly align the board in the case.

Bill1950

Aug 12, 2016
I got the I/O shield this afternoon and installed it in the case. Test fit motherboard (for you Logan). There was plenty of room albeit a "snug" fit. Had to remove a few standoffs and relocate some others. Did not have to drill any holes. Only one motherboard mounting hole did not have a corresponding standoff hole. BUT... Natex had included a nylon support for that "missing" hole.

The motherboard mounted smoothly, it fit just fine. No alignment problems. At least no problems with the motherboard

I was able to get the Enthoo fan controller plugged into a PWN from fan header before taking a break. The connection is clos to the drive bays in the front of the case. It's tight but I didn't have any trouble even with my large hands. Here's a picture of that connection:

Fan Controller Connector.jpg

The actual 4-pin CPU fan header is visible through the black heat sink fins to the right of the front panel fan headers

Reactions: Logan

Logan

Feb 22, 2017
Thanks very much for this! Considering a very similar build, so it's quite helpful.

Bill1950

Aug 12, 2016
Just a quick heads-up.... I bought a very short (it's VERY short) GTX 750 TI and tried test-fitting it before I quit today. It runs into the memory slot clamp downs and will not seat in slot 6, the full-size slot. If you're considering a high performance video card, it might have to go into an open-ended slot as has been noted by others. I will try to post a picture when I resume the build.

Logan

Feb 22, 2017
Thanks for the heads-up. Probably going for a low-end card, but I'll keep this in mind.

Kybber

May 27, 2016
Just a quick heads-up.... I bought a very short (it's VERY short) GTX 750 TI and tried test-fitting it before I quit today. It runs into the memory slot clamp downs and will not seat in slot 6, the full-size slot. If you're considering a high performance video card, it might have to go into an open-ended slot as has been noted by others.
Both the full-size and the open-ended slots are x8, so there is no performance loss. The card will be properly secured by the stand-alone clamp located a bit behind the open-ended PCIe slot.

Reactions: Bill1950

Bill1950

Aug 12, 2016
I have finished the basic build. Everything went together smoothly. Here's the board installed in the Enthoo Pro with the CPU fan not installed:

Full Board 1.jpg

The modular CPU power cable for CPU2 (upper left) just BARELY reaches. The connector is located behind the CPU2 heatsink on the left.

Here's a picture of the CPU2 power connector and cable, and the CPU2 fan connector and fan cable in the right. The CPU2 power connector is a tight reach from the power supply.

CPU2 power cable.jpg

This is a picture, from right to left, of the ATX 24-pin power connector, the primary SATA 3/6gbs SSD connector and cable (black), the second SATA 6gbs SSD connector and cable (blue), the SATA 2/3gbs DVD connector and cable, the case rubber wire grommet, chipset heatsink (top of picture) and the USB front-panel connector and cable.

SATA and USB MB wiring.jpg

Here's a picture of half the mem slots and the CPU bases. Note the easy access to the CPU heatsink mounting screws with the fan removed. Also note the CPU1 fan connector to the right of the heatsink to the right of CPU1. Memory needs to be installed in the blue memory slots before the black slots. For this build, all eight of the blue slots each contain an 8GB DIMM, DDR3 12800. Full 8 channel memory implemented.

The CPUs hidden beneath the CPU heatsinks are a pair of E5-2665.

Mem and CPU bases.jpg

That's enough for now. I have fired up the system. Started immediately, first time. But I'm still working through BIOS problems including bothCPU fans running at full speed even though HWiNFO64 shows CPU temps in the upper 20s and low 30s, up to upper 30s under load. There are a few other issues I'll trying to work through. Have loaded Linux Mint 18.1 and Win 7 Ult successfully.

Reactions: T_Minus

Bill1950

Aug 12, 2016
Still using only onboard video. Haven't attempted to disable onboard video in favor of a separate PCIe video card.

Installed a copy of W7Ult to check the system. Initially, it blue screened without much effort. Tweaked BIOS a bit and the system stabilized.

Dropped in a copy of Linux Mint.. It loaded OK, but I didn't really test any applications or try to install to a SSD. Just wanted to see of it would load.

Reset BIOS and reconfigured system settings. Still have runaway CPU cooling fans. Acoustic settings and PMW offset don't make any difference. HWiNFO64 still shows cold CPUs. Chipset temp is typical.

The Fault indicator LED is flashing amber. One of the reasons that would happen is if there is a fan fault or an insufficient number of fans is detected. Maybe I'll disable the Enthoo fan controller to see if that is causing the fault.

But not tonight.

nthu9280

Feb 3, 2016
San Antonio, TX
Not sure you ran the FRUSDR to update the config to tell the BMC your fan config. Another thing to check the SEL (event log) to see intruder alert triggered. These are couple of things you can check/rule out before embarking on more in-depth troubleshooting.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Bill1950

Aug 12, 2016
nthu9280 -

Thanks.. I did some investigation a couple of days ago. I'm not sure I have the capabilities of running FRUSDR. The version and documentation I found, circa 2005 or so, required a DOS environment. I don't have any way to actually load DOS. Other versions have eluded discovery. I would certainly run a more recent version if a version is available along with documentation, that would run under a different environment.

If you have a link that might provide better support, I would greatly appreciate getting it.

MikeK

Feb 3, 2017
If you download the software to update the BIOS and follow the instructions to put it on a USB stick, that same tool allows you to run FRUSDR. You can get there from the BIOS boot screen. As I recall when you update the BIOS, it prompts you to run FRUSDR after it's done. Updating the BIOS made a big difference for me, so if you're not on the latest, I recommend it.

I have the same setup you're building. It works like a champ.

Reactions: Bill1950

Bill1950

Aug 12, 2016
Thanks, Mike and nthu9280.

I got the latest BIOS and related upgrades installedd. Almost all went smoothly. I sit on pins and needles every time I upgrade BIOS on ANYTHING. But I did say ALMOST. The FRUSDR upgrade took a few tries to get v1.11 installed, but it's finally in. I ran UpgradeFRUSDR.nsh and it failed a couple of times when I ran the combined update. Running them separately seemed successful. After the recommended restart, the fans were initially slow, but then went to full speed again and they remained there in spite of the Acoustic settings. I continued to try different FRUSDR and BIOS settings focusing on which fans were installed and mode of operation. Each time without luck in getting the fans to run at a slower speed.

After resetting FRUSDR again indicating that ONLY the CPU fans were installed, no other fans listed in the setup, I finally started to get positive results. I can't recall the sequence of powering off the ps, pushing the reset button or restarting the system. But it finally works. CPU cooling is very quiet. CPU idle temps are in the 30Cs up tothe low 50Cs under more stress that I would be likely to ever place on the system.

My conclusion is that the Enthoo fan controller might be working against the motherboard fan sensors. It was only after I removed the header to which the fan controller was attached from the FRUSDR setup that I had success in getting the CPU fans under control. There are a few options on that controller, but the system is cool and quiet for now. No point in waking the dragon.

So, again... Thanks, MikeK and nthu9280. Everything is up to date and the quiet. System runs like a champ.

Now on to next steps.. More later.

MikeK

Feb 3, 2017
Thanks, Mike and nthu9280.
My conclusion is that the Enthoo fan controller might be working against the motherboard fan sensors. It was only after I removed the header to which the fan controller was attached from the FRUSDR setup that I had success in getting the CPU fans under control. There are a few options on that controller, but the system is cool and quiet for now. No point in waking the dragon.

So, again... Thanks, MikeK and nthu9280. Everything is up to date and the quiet. System runs like a champ.

Now on to next steps.. More later.
Happy to hear you got it working.

FYI, I never tried the Enthoo fan controller. The MB has many fan headers on it. I think I remember reading somewhere that if the FRUSDR is configured for a fan to be installed, but none is, the MB goes into panic mode and turns them all on full. May be my bad memory though.