Laptops with "Uninterruptible WiFi" at Best Buy (not really!)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
My local Best Buy recently reopened after remodeling, so I decided to check it out before picking my daughter up from school. The Computer section was pretty empty, just me and a salesperson a few feet away explaining laptop features to an elderly couple. I wasn't really paying attention to what the sales guy was telling them until I heard him say, "Some, like this model, have a really great feature for when you're at home...uninterruptible WiFi."

Well that caught my attention! What the heck was "uninterruptible WiFi"? I eased my way closer so I could hear all about it...

The sales person explained that, "you can use a special cable to connect from a socket on the laptop to a socket on the back of the router. Its called 'Wired WiFi'. With wired WiFi, you won't ever lose the WiFi signal to your laptop."

And I thought..... o_O Followed by :eek: Followed by :mad:

I really wish I could have stayed to learn about more exciting laptop features I'd never known existed, but I needed to head out to get my daughter.

Last edited:

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
what the **** am I reading
:D Its definitely a U.S./Canada thing! Best Buy is a retail chain for mostly tech/appliances (computers, phones, game consoles, microwave ovens, etc.). ~30 years ago they stopped paying sales staff based on how much they sold (commission sales) and instead paid fixed wages. Best Buy claimed they did this so that staff could give honest recommendations on products and customers could shop without staff pushing them to buy things. But, it also meant that salespeople got paid the same even if they weren't knowledgable about the products they sold. Usually, its just the sales staff misquoting features (a screen resolution, or microwave power, etc.), but sometimes they say something monumentally odd.

The consequences of BB firing all of their well-trained salespeople and hiring the lowest bidders.
Yeah, these days there's still some folks that know what they sell, but really all you can count on from staff is to help you find something on a shelf. Because of the remodeling at my local store, everything is in a different place, so the staff couldn't even do that. I went back last night to get a specific model earbuds for my daughter, and it took two salespersons and their manager to find them.

Marsh

May 12, 2013
Role reversal

About 15 years ago, rare occasion , I was at BestBuy , overheard a customer telling BB sales person.

He wants to buy a computer , there is no limit of the budget. :rolleyes:

I smiled inside and walk away.

• Haha
Reactions: Markess