Lab for rent?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

TLN

Feb 26, 2016
Hi all.

I was reading one of the workstation topics recently, and realized that I'm not using my lab alot right now. It's pretty powerful, and takes some space in my tiny apartment.
And I know that some of the people have huge labs at home, with some resources available.

Did anyone though of creating nested lab? Replace each physical host with ESXi VM, and establish RA/IPSEC connection. How is that different from Amazon/Google/etc? I don't expect 100% availability, and performance all the time: Older hardware, some bandwidth and storage. Basically, cheap-ass version of cloud for lab needs.

Do you think it's a good idea, or better keep it separate?

StammesOpfer

Mar 15, 2016
Seems like it wouldn't be worth the hassle/liability. Sure I would let a friend do it but I don't want to deal with DMCA notices if someone decided to use my lab as a torrent box. Or cops kicking in my door if they decided to do something even worse with it. It is a lot harder to explain that you rent that computer to a guy and have no idea what is going on with it when it is sitting in your office vs a datacenter.

TLN

Feb 26, 2016
Yeah, I thought about it. On the one hand, you can kill all the Outbound traffic, but then noone will be able to download updates or packages.