L5640 vs E5520 real world electric cost?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

joogle

Feb 14, 2015
Is there someone who's done a DIY build that is pretty quiet?

In terms of folks who've seen the DL380 G6 and ML350 G6, which is more quiet?

I have found some prices and the difference between the two is like $170 (more for the ML350 G6). The processors in DL380 is E5520 vs ML350 G6 is E5620.

Is it worth the extra $170 to get the ML350 G6?

chinesestunna

Jan 23, 2015
Is there someone who's done a DIY build that is pretty quiet?

In terms of folks who've seen the DL380 G6 and ML350 G6, which is more quiet?

I have found some prices and the difference between the two is like $170 (more for the ML350 G6). The processors in DL380 is E5520 vs ML350 G6 is E5620.

Is it worth the extra $170 to get the ML350 G6?
I just did mine (finished 2 days ago) and it's fairly quiet, very low hum about 6 feet away and almost inaudible 12 feet away. I will be writing full build log but here's the jist of it:
  1. Supermicro X8DTE motherboard - $120
  2. 2x L5630 chips $70
  3. 6x4GB ECC RAM $120
  4. 2x Coolermaster 212+ heatsinks $40
so about $350 already before other parts are figured in. I'm reusing my existing chassis/PSU so not listing it out here but one thing I would say is building server grade stuff isn't for novices. I've been building machines since mid 90s and worked as a PC tech for about 3 years so fairly familiar with hardware etc but still had a few stumbles doing this project.

If you want safe/easy working out of the box just go with a decommissioned server, save some $ too

joogle

Feb 14, 2015
Thank you, i think that maybe best, i've built desktops before but i think this maybe a whole new area.

Which would you recommend a DL380 G6 (E5520) or ML350 G6 (E5620), the price difference between the two is $170-$180 based on my communication with the sellers.

I've already bought the 96GB Ram myself.

I just did mine (finished 2 days ago) and it's fairly quiet, very low hum about 6 feet away and almost inaudible 12 feet away. I will be writing full build log but here's the jist of it:
  1. Supermicro X8DTE motherboard - $120
  2. 2x L5630 chips $70
  3. 6x4GB ECC RAM $120
  4. 2x Coolermaster 212+ heatsinks $40
so about $350 already before other parts are figured in. I'm reusing my existing chassis/PSU so not listing it out here but one thing I would say is building server grade stuff isn't for novices. I've been building machines since mid 90s and worked as a PC tech for about 3 years so fairly familiar with hardware etc but still had a few stumbles doing this project.

If you want safe/easy working out of the box just go with a decommissioned server, save some $ too

NeverDie

Jan 28, 2015
USA
... but one thing I would say is building server grade stuff isn't for novices. I've been building machines since mid 90s and worked as a PC tech for about 3 years so fairly familiar with hardware etc but still had a few stumbles doing this project.
What are you finding that's different?

chinesestunna

Jan 23, 2015
Thank you, i think that maybe best, i've built desktops before but i think this maybe a whole new area.

Which would you recommend a DL380 G6 (E5520) or ML350 G6 (E5620), the price difference between the two is $170-$180 based on my communication with the sellers.

I've already bought the 96GB Ram myself.
I'd say ML, 32nm Westmere chips are much cooler and thus quieter and from previous comments seems that that's a concern for you. Also It's a tower vs. rackmount and has a bit more room to grow it seems.

What are you finding that's different?
In my case it's things you take for granted doing desktop builds such as fitment and compatibility, in my case:
  1. Buying a board that's EEATX and not EATX only to realize that extra E wasn't a typo
  2. Mounting aftermarket heatsinks, 1366 Xeons have a different backplate on motherboard that causes issues for most consumer coolers out there, I'll be doing a full write up for this as well
  3. Bios config, many settings unfamiliar vs. desktop Bios and caused some time wasted diagnosing issues
  4. Cooling - designing airflow in chassis to ensure cooling to areas that's designed to be passive and cooled by airflow in a rackmount case. On desktop boards they'll usually just go with active cooling
Just the top few from memory

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
I have "DIY" L5639 in an Antec tower case (single CPU) with a H60i water cooler, it's near silent and I can over clock it to high 3ghz without any tweaking or time spent, I'm sure it could go 4.x if I put more effort into it. This was my old server/security monitor so I put it back to stock clocks, but it worked just fine and it was silent unless a lot was going on at once. I have some parts of it for sale or will sell it complete, it however lacks ECC since it's on a Gigabyte desktop motherboard (though it does have 24gb RAM).

I'm also in the process of doing a 2x E5-26xx build in a Rosewill 4U that has 120mm fans! I plan to use Noctua industrial PWM fans and SuperMicro 4U fans (with their fan for now, but have Noctua to test) and expect it to stay fairly silent most of the time based on what it will be doing. I'll post pics and builds of these over the next week.

joogle

Feb 14, 2015
I have "DIY" L5639 in an Antec tower case (single CPU) with a H60i water cooler, it's near silent and I can over clock it to high 3ghz without any tweaking or time spent, I'm sure it could go 4.x if I put more effort into it. This was my old server/security monitor so I put it back to stock clocks, but it worked just fine and it was silent unless a lot was going on at once. I have some parts of it for sale or will sell it complete, it however lacks ECC since it's on a Gigabyte desktop motherboard (though it does have 24gb RAM).

I'm also in the process of doing a 2x E5-26xx build in a Rosewill 4U that has 120mm fans! I plan to use Noctua industrial PWM fans and SuperMicro 4U fans (with their fan for now, but have Noctua to test) and expect it to stay fairly silent most of the time based on what it will be doing. I'll post pics and builds of these over the next week.

Thanks, I love Antec cases, but I need a motherboard that has like more than 12 dimm slots and two cpu slots. So I need to identify a case, motherboard, and processor with the right heatsinks for a DIY build

chinesestunna

Jan 23, 2015
Thanks, I love Antec cases, but I need a motherboard that has like more than 12 dimm slots and two cpu slots. So I need to identify a case, motherboard, and processor with the right heatsinks for a DIY build
More than 12 with 1366 socket boards gets a bit tricky, I actually bought one with 18 only to realize it won't fit my case. Be very careful looking at dimensions and form factor, EE-ATX is a supermicro form factor and not a typo compared to E-ATX as it'll not fit most of the time.
Many 18 slot E-ATX boards would make a sacrifice somewhere else such as less PCIe slots etc, bottom line there's only so much space and something's gotta give.

joogle

Feb 14, 2015
More than 12 with 1366 socket boards gets a bit tricky, I actually bought one with 18 only to realize it won't fit my case. Be very careful looking at dimensions and form factor, EE-ATX is a supermicro form factor and not a typo compared to E-ATX as it'll not fit most of the time.
Many 18 slot E-ATX boards would make a sacrifice somewhere else such as less PCIe slots etc, bottom line there's only so much space and something's gotta give.
Thanks, please post the parts you used when you get a chance.

I may just get the ML350 G6 to save time, if I put it in a corner of the room, I hope its noise is not a disturbance and is quiet. the DL380 G6 is cheaper but not sure how to hide it or where to place it

chinesestunna

Jan 23, 2015
Thanks, please post the parts you used when you get a chance.

I may just get the ML350 G6 to save time, if I put it in a corner of the room, I hope its noise is not a disturbance and is quiet. the DL380 G6 is cheaper but not sure how to hide it or where to place it
Core list:
Supermicro X8DTE-F
2x Xeon L5630
6x4gb ecc ddr3
450 Corsair 80+ gold PSU
Lian Li V2000 full tower
10x3TB drives
Dell H200 hba
Intel SAS expander
2 other HDDs
5 fans low rpm

joogle

Feb 14, 2015
I ended up going the DL380 route with a higher TDP processor for $200 shipped. Hoping it works out in the end.
  • HP Proliant DL380 G6 2U Server
  • 2x Intel Xeon X5570 2.93ghz Quad Core Processors
  • TWO HDD CADDY
  • P410i 256mb Raid Controller
  • 2x Power Supplies

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
You realize you got 5500 series processors not 5600... right?

joogle

Feb 14, 2015
You realize you got 5500 series processors not 5600... right?
Yes, the 56xx series i was looking at in ML350 was at like $420 or so range.

Hence I decided to go for the lower cost option just because I am not sure how things would work out and to play it safe.

Last edited: