KVM to Hyper-V VM conversion?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Has anyone had experience converting and/or converting KVM VM's to Hyper-V? My main hypervisor at home runs KVM and I want to be able to migrate or restore the VMs running on this box to my Windows workstation running Hyper-V during server maintenance or for disaster recovery.

Has anyone done anything like this before?

And on a related note, are there any agentless backup utilities for KVM? I know I can't use anything like Veeam (which is a shame) but I need to be able to backup my life running VMs and restore them to a different host without too much hassle.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
Correct. You use qemu-img to convert the disk image from whatever you are using with KVM (probably qcow2 or raw) to vhdx. You also have to to recreate the VM profile (CPUs, RAM, devices, etc). I don't know of any automated tools do convert the VM profile.

Its easy - but very manual. And can be time consuming, as the qemu-img conversion can take quite a while.

It would have to be quite a disaster for me to want to try this :).

As for KVM backup - really depends. KVM is rarely used "bare", but under the control of some form of KVM management suite like RedHat Clouforms or Proxmox. I know that Proxmox backups can be reasonably automated and I've used them for exactly your "restore to a different host" use case without issue.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Correct. You use qemu-img to convert the disk image from whatever you are using with KVM (probably qcow2 or raw) to vhdx. You also have to to recreate the VM profile (CPUs, RAM, devices, etc). I don't know of any automated tools do convert the VM profile.

Its easy - but very manual. And can be time consuming, as the qemu-img conversion can take quite a while.

It would have to be quite a disaster for me to want to try this :).

As for KVM backup - really depends. KVM is rarely used "bare", but under the control of some form of KVM management suite like RedHat Clouforms or Proxmox. I know that Proxmox backups can be reasonably automated and I've used them for exactly your "restore to a different host" use case without issue.
@PigLover In this particular instance we're talking about a home media server (unRAID) and thus not an enterprise solution.