KVM over IP Console server

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

CJ145

Mar 11, 2015
I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this but I couldn't find one more fitting. I'm tired of my old analog kvm along with the need to be standing in front of the rack to use it.

I'm looking for a used KVM over IP Console server preferably with an interface I can use on Linux / OSX that allows at least two remote users, has the ability to control a PDU, one local user, and 8 or 16 ports.

I'm finding a lot of cheap HP units (that I discovered cannot be password reset), several Raritan previous gen (KX2), and a few of the previous gen Avocent's (autoview), as well as the random Dell here or there. It's a heck of a time trying to find any information on them outside of a manual, and they are all previous gen so I worry about the interface not functioning properly....

My budget is to try to stay under $300 with at least 5 adapters. Anyone have suggestions?

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
I have an ancient Avocent DSR8032 - only issue is that the ciphers on it are outdated (and no firmware update), so it needs special treatment with java. Else cheaply available and quite good. Can control 2 PDUs.

cesmith9999

Mar 26, 2013
Look at the thread I started. Adding impi to non am mother boards. In the last few po she there are posts about using a set of adapters and rasbberrypi for diy kvm.

Chris