KVM/KVMoverIP recommendations

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

NetWise

Jun 29, 2012
Edmonton, AB, Canada
I know many folks prefer to use IPMI if it's included and save the expense. But if you needed a rack based KVM - with or without IP, which is the one that works best for Home Lab type usage? (read: Cheap on eBay, doesn't need licenses to activate, doesn't have pods that cost more than the server you're managing).

From what I know:
* The Belkin OmniView Pro3, included on a Belkin 1U console or not (F1DC101H/F1DC108H/F1DC116H) works pretty good, the USB based cables are not to badly priced - but they come with fixed length cables and are "pairs" of servers per cable. Usable, but not preferable
* Avocent DSR's of various models - there was a few lines that ONLY worked with the management software, they had no GUI or device connectivity themselves, they sort of burnt me off using them. I know there are others that DO work directly via console to the device, but uncertain as to which.
* Dell IP KVM's appear to all be Avocent rebranded - but may or may not require the licences. However, they all seem to burn out prematurely.

Features I'd like:
* 1U
* 16+ ports
* USB only would be fine, I don't do SUN or PS/2 stuff
* Single IP console user is fine
* No client software, no licenses
* KVM pods that use Cat5 cabling and are less than.... $20/node?

Any suggestions?

Lost-Benji

Jan 21, 2013
The arse end of the planet
I will be watching this thread. I was talking in another thread and it sparked me to rethink my little server farm. I too am looking for options somewhat like what you are chasing but I have slightly different requirements. I will start my own thread to avoid crapping yours.