KVM advice

nicklebon

Jun 14, 2017
The 4k monitor discussion in the deals forum has brought this back around for me. I need a new KVM that can handle 4K. I would prefer a a dual headed model. I need to control at least 4 devices but would consider a larger unit if the price was right. I prefer HDMI over DP. If it matters this is for my desk not my rack though a rackmount device under 2u could be used provided it was silent. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

nicklebon

Jun 14, 2017
60Hz. Please note I'm interested in personal use subjective opinion ie I have this one and its very slowing slow when switching between machines or hotkey combo is odd and cannot be changed. That sort of thing. FWIW I'm currently using a very old black black ServSwtich. It has lots of issues due it using ps/2 keyboard and mouse connectors but it switches VERY fast so I continue to put up with it. I will also point out my IBM model M keyboard will remain. Whatever KVM I end up with must work this keyboard or the drawer full of others. :)

Kal G

Oct 29, 2014
Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with an 60 Hz, 4K, dual head models. Be curious what you end up finding. Just a heads up, even the 30 Hz models can be quite expensive.

Kal G

Oct 29, 2014
The only KVM that I’ve found so far that meets your requirements is the Smart-AVI UHDN-4P-DUOS. I’m not familiar with the brand. Maybe some other forum member can chime in.

BlueFox

Oct 26, 2015
Gefen and Extron make some nice HDMI matrix switches, including ones with multiple outputs, but I think you're going to be hard pressed to find something with USB and multiple outputs (that supports HDMI 2.0) at this point. Might be easier to have 2 separate devices? One for video and one for USB.

nicklebon

Jun 14, 2017
The only KVM that I’ve found so far that meets your requirements is the Smart-AVI UHDN-4P-DUOS. I’m not familiar with the brand. Maybe some other forum member can chime in.
This has been my issue. Most of what I've found I have no experience with and recalling the issues I had before settling on this black box model I was hoping to avoid a repeat of the buy/test/send back cycle. Thanks anyway though.