Kingston A400 120GB SATA $17.99 shipped

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
not bad price for cheap boot drives or for budget laptops which is what these will most likely be used for so the low 40tb tbw is probably ok.

Mam89

Jan 14, 2016
SoCal
Thanks for the heads up, went ahead and bought a 240GB for $30 to replace my school laptops drive. Nothing write intensive as most work on that system is done via the browser in the "cloud"

Last edited:

Mam89

Jan 14, 2016
SoCal
Update: Got my drive, cloned my OS directly to it and popped it in my little Lenovo Ideapad 330 (The AMD Ryzen 3 version, the CPU is kinda cute)

I'll say it's made a slug of a freebie laptop into something enjoyable.

The poor CPU can't keep up at boot, both cores peg at 100% and disk around 90% haha! Totally worth $30

Attachments

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
Update: Got my drive, cloned my OS directly to it and popped it in my little Lenovo Ideapad 330 (The AMD Ryzen 3 version, the CPU is kinda cute)

I'll say it's made a slug of a freebie laptop into something enjoyable.

The poor CPU can't keep up at boot, both cores peg at 100% and disk around 90% haha! Totally worth $30
looks like a typical budget ssd where write speed is significantly slower than read speed. but those number looks very expected. it is obviously still much improved compared to any spinner hdd.

i have an old pentium m 1.7ghz single core no hyperthread laptop from 2003. it has only pata. but pata ssd is too expensive. so i bought a crappy msata to pata 2.5 inch kit. the thing is limited to 40mb/s transfer speed thanks to the crappy msata to pata controller. i am also sure there are quite a few other limitations of that cheap controller. but it was still significantly faster than the old pata boot hdd.... proving againt even the shittiest ssd is much better than spinner hdd for o/s and random i/o.

cheezehead

Sep 23, 2012
Midwest, US
but it was still significantly faster than the old pata boot hdd.... proving againt even the shittiest ssd is much better than spinner hdd for o/s and random i/o.
You haven't tried some of the older kingspec pata ssd's then....7200rpm spinner was faster. latency was good on them but throughput was capped at 11MB....pretty sure they ran a pata-->usb 1.1-->sata controller back then.

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
You haven't tried some of the older kingspec pata ssd's then....7200rpm spinner was faster. latency was good on them but throughput was capped at 11MB....pretty sure they ran a pata-->usb 1.1-->sata controller back then.
wow that sounds real shitty. :( probably slower than a lot of the recent microsd cards.