Keyboard (mech.) Cherry MX1800 [Open Box] $30 @Provantage

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Nice find. Provantage keeps dropping prices almost continuously so if you wait long enough and no one else gets these, they'll get down to $7.05 shipped. :D Perfect example is this GBIC transceiver: PROVANTAGE: AddOn GBIC-LX-1 1000BLX GBIC Transceiver SMF 1310NM 10KM SC Port **OPEN BOX**

And I wouldn't trust Amazon's description on this as there's a lot of variants depending on the model number. You can find a data sheet here:

UhClem

just another Bozo on the bus
Jun 26, 2012
NH, USA
Thanks, but ...
The precise reason I included the AMZN ref link was that both the Provantage product page, and the Mouser-linked Cherry-official (.pdf) spec doc have an image for one of the European models. The Amazon pics appear to be for this exact model.

Reactions: Samir

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Gotcha. I double checked the spec sheet to make sure as I've found that usually the keyboards that have been returned and have sat like this have been the EU models. From the spec sheet the specs are:
G80-1800LPCEU-2
US English
with EURO
symbol
black
black

So the image is correct. I would have just embedded the amazon image like this:

In other news, someone snagged the genovation windows 98 external keypad I was watching. :( Who buys stuff like that?!?!

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
Btw: these are Cherry MX Black switches. source:https://www.cherry.de/PDF/EN_G80-1800.pdf
I was just writing a post about this :p . MX Black have a higher activation pressure than most MX switches. This makes them especially good for people who tend to bang the keys, or for older folk (like me) that learned to type on a manual typewriter.

Last edited:
Reactions: Samir and itronin

BoredSysadmin

Not affiliated with Maxell
Mar 2, 2019
I was just writing a post about this :p . MX Black have a higher activation pressure than most MX switches. This makes them especially good for people who tend to bang the keys, or for older folk (like me) that leaned to type on a manual typewriter.
I'm partial to MX Blue myself, but I don't judge - any mech keys fan is a friend of mine.

Reactions: Samir and Rock

unmesh

Apr 17, 2017
Bought one just to see what the fuss is about.

Hopefully these are like the original IBM PC keyboards. And I too learned to use a keyboard on a manual typewriter!

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
I was just writing a post about this :p . MX Black have a higher activation pressure than most MX switches. This makes them especially good for people who tend to bang the keys, or for older folk (like me) that learned to type on a manual typewriter.
I've actually found them on the veeder-root tls-350 control panel as well. :) The MX black is a really well-reputed switch that is used in a lot more than just computer keyboards.

For the manual typewriter feel, I would recommend an IBM Model M or Model F or cherry MX green. I find my greens are the closest thing to my Model M (my daily driver).
I'm partial to MX Blue myself, but I don't judge - any mech keys fan is a friend of mine.
I like the Blues as well and have a bunch of boards with these in them. The feel really depends on the board construction to me--my Das with Blues isn't as 'tight' and precise as some other board that I forgot the name of now (getting old, lol). But you said it best--any mech keys fan is a friend of mine. And for me, any input device fan is a friend of mine as I have a soft spot for the Logitech Trackballs that are thumb operated after first putting my hands on the original model back in 1989...did I say I was old? lol

These keyboards would be a great daily driver for someone that doesn't want the traditional layout so they get more room for a mouse/trackball and like black switches. And they're a steal at this price as they're usually at least double this. :)

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Bought one just to see what the fuss is about.

Hopefully these are like the original IBM PC keyboards. And I too learned to use a keyboard on a manual typewriter!
These won't be as they won't click or make any noise from the switch itself. You will hear a noise when the key 'bottoms out' and that will definitely sound and feel like a keyboard from that era. :)

unmesh

Apr 17, 2017
These won't be as they won't click or make any noise from the switch itself. You will hear a noise when the key 'bottoms out' and that will definitely sound and feel like a keyboard from that era. :)
Worst case, I will give it to my son who has become a keyboard assembler/collector since the pandemic began!