Keyboard input stopped working in console

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

XplodingData

Jan 25, 2020
Hi guys. I'm just beginning down my path to building a home server, and I think I've settled on FreeNAS as I mostly just want file sharing/backup/redundancy.

I've been playing around with an install and a batch of hard drives, and so I've been going back and forth with the GUI based shell, and the actual console.

I'm using an old logitech wireless mouse/kb combo, with the receiver plugged into a usb port on the chassis.

I just ran a burnin on some hard drives using badblocks, and on day 2 I was checking the progress and clicked the mouse button. Turns out the mouse cursor showed up on my screen and i can scroll up/down (which is handy to know so i don't have to "|more" things). But now that the badblocks testing is complete, I'm ready to punch in a few more commands, but the keyboard input isn't registering text on the prompt. I can use the arrow keys to scroll the screen up/down, or pg up/down, but no luck with typing....

is there something I need to do to get that back? right now it's ok to reboot, but i don't think I should have to if I run into this again in the future and the machine is actually live...

Thanks!

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
If the Port goes to sleep, it might unload any associated drivers/ BIOS support for the Bluetooth. This may or may not re-load when the Port wakes again. Tried it with wired devices in case it's a Bluetooth screw up?

XplodingData

Jan 25, 2020
It's not actually a Bluetooth keyboard, if that makes a difference. Just a standard wireless.

But I hadn't tried actually plugging in a standard wired usb keyboard. I'll try that tonight and see what happens.

Thanks for the suggestion!