Kernel errors with guest VMs on proxmox

Discussion in 'Linux Admins, Storage and Virtualization' started by zunder1990, Jul 30, 2018.

1. zunder1990

zunder1990 Member

• guest = ubuntu 16.04 LTS 64bit server with ssh server enabled
    • proxmox = version 5.2
    • cpu AMD opteron 2356
    I did a fresh install of ubuntu 16.04 LTS 64bit server with the only thing enable other than default is ssh server. When I do OS updates I get mod errors when it updates kernel related things. The items it errors on look all to be related to it being a guest on proxmox. I have reproduce this error 3 times now.

Shreencaps Imgur

2. Zedicus

Zedicus New Member

what type of disk and cache settings do you have for the VM?
    and what does the storage environment look like for the proxmox host?

3. zunder1990

zunder1990 Member

I forgot to come back to this, I had storage setup using glusterfs and having the problems. I switched to ceph and everything has been working fine.

4. Zedicus

Zedicus New Member

there are lots of 'storage configs' that can cause issues to the VM. they actually happen on all VMs but linux seems to allow the errors to be seen before they cause damage. windows will just SLOWLY corrupt until a random bluescreen happens.

someday i will create a list of proxmox storage configurations to not use.

zunder1990 likes this.