Kernel errors with guest VMs on proxmox

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

zunder1990

Nov 15, 2012
  • guest = ubuntu 16.04 LTS 64bit server with ssh server enabled
  • proxmox = version 5.2
  • cpu AMD opteron 2356
I did a fresh install of ubuntu 16.04 LTS 64bit server with the only thing enable other than default is ssh server. When I do OS updates I get mod errors when it updates kernel related things. The items it errors on look all to be related to it being a guest on proxmox. I have reproduce this error 3 times now.

Shreencaps Imgur

Zedicus

Jul 12, 2018
  • guest = ubuntu 16.04 LTS 64bit server with ssh server enabled
  • proxmox = version 5.2
  • cpu AMD opteron 2356
I did a fresh install of ubuntu 16.04 LTS 64bit server with the only thing enable other than default is ssh server. When I do OS updates I get mod errors when it updates kernel related things. The items it errors on look all to be related to it being a guest on proxmox. I have reproduce this error 3 times now.

Shreencaps Imgur

what type of disk and cache settings do you have for the VM?
and what does the storage environment look like for the proxmox host?

zunder1990

Nov 15, 2012
I forgot to come back to this, I had storage setup using glusterfs and having the problems. I switched to ceph and everything has been working fine.

Zedicus

Jul 12, 2018
there are lots of 'storage configs' that can cause issues to the VM. they actually happen on all VMs but linux seems to allow the errors to be seen before they cause damage. windows will just SLOWLY corrupt until a random bluescreen happens.

someday i will create a list of proxmox storage configurations to not use.

Reactions: zunder1990