Keep IPMI BMC Functions while Use NVDIA GPU for specific Functions

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

cuco

Feb 13, 2018
Hallo,
I use a supermicro h11ssl-nc with a epyc 7551p.
I also own a 2070rtx. I dort have keyboard, Mousse and Monitor connected. Everything runs over the aspeed bmc Chipset. Normally i dont use a graphic card.
Biut my plan is to set up a steam stream Client with this Server.
I have two options:
-i need to make the NVIDIA Controlpanel work in Server 2019.
- and i need to make it possible to set the RTX- GPU to be used by a specific Program like Steam.- Which seems to be possible to be attached by NVIDIA CONTROL PANEL.

But it does not work cause i cant start the control panel while the bmc is the primary gpu. But i need it, otherwise i cant see bios and so on.
Does anyone know this Problem and hast a solution? Thanks and Kind regards,,
Tobias
-

Last edited:

Goose

Jan 16, 2019
The advice below is predicated on the 2070 being seen in device manager when the onboard graphics is used.

Why don't you set the nvidia up as primary to start with, get it all configured how you need to and then switch back to having the onboard as the primary. That being said, do you need to see the BIOS regularly?

kapone

May 23, 2015
I guess I'm confused here. Once you set the Nvidia card as the primary GPU, all graphics output is via the card, instead of onboard. If you need to see the BIOS/POST while the server is booting up:

- if you're physically there, you connect a monitor to the Nvidia GPU
- if you're not physically there, you connect to the BMC over IPMI and see what's going on. IPMI video redirection has nothing to do with onboard or add-on GPU.

Maybe I'm missing something obvious.

cuco

Feb 13, 2018
As soon as i set the nvdia card as primary the IPMI video card will no longer work for KVM. I just get a Black screen.
My Resolution was to buy a used KVM console for my rack and a 4k HDMI Dongle so that steam can stream up to 4k.

Reactions: TXAG26