Kaby Lake Pentium G4560 as an ESXi | PfSense | FreeNAS Server

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

cgtechuk

Dec 27, 2016
Hi All,

Today (Typically) after buying some kit to build some white boxes someone I know pointed me towards the Kaby Lake Pentium G4560 and how much bang for buck it is.

I see that the processor is Dual Core with HT, Supports ECC and also Vt-D and get some really impressive results in a lot of games so far so good!

Now in real life what is the performance of this chip as an ESXi / PfSense / NAS Server? Has anyone ever used it?

Let me paint the ideal server use it is not going to be doing anything taxing except be a real LOW Power Always on little Server in the corner:

- Run on ESXi 6.5 as an OS
- Run a VM with PFSense on it to run as my firewall and Network routing.
- Run a VM that will host VCenter that I can use to manage my other hosts
- Run a FreeNAS VM that will host some drives for always on NAS Backup Storage availability (Few TBs of 7200Rpm Disks)
- Run a Windows VM with Active Directory installed

Hardware wise im looking at:

- Motherboard with 2 Onboard GbE NICs Prefferable Intel for compatibility
- ITX Formfactor although this does limit me to 32GB RAM due to 2 memory slots
- Minimum 6 Sata 6.0Gs onboard SATA ports
- Use the expansion slot for a 10GBe card or maybe HBA dependant on usage.

I am open to non ITX versions although this would mean a new case I am happy to weigh up options I just need to know if this is a real option for a simple low power node to sit in the corner of my HomeLAB that can provide the simple day to day things that will let me power down my more expensive hosts for when I want to actually use them.

It just needs to be able to keep up without any real bottlenecks, I was originally looking at a QC5000M AMD Embedded CPU motherboard or even a E3 1220 V3 CPU but stats wise this Dual Core smokes it and its half the price and NEW!

Any opinions?

CookiesLikeWhoa

Sep 7, 2016
That's a lot for a Dual Core to handle. Depending on how fast your connection is and how much your NAS is handling, either the pfSense or the FreeNAS could pretty easily use all of the power of that CPU by itself.

You might want to look into a quad-core Xeon D. You can grab them for $500.00 and would meet all of your other requirements + provide a little more breathing room for your VM's. Also has a max of 128GB's of RAM so you don't starve the FreeNAS VM.

I can't say it won't work (I have never tried that on a dual core set up), but I have tried something very very similar on a quad-core (i7-950) and hit 100% on that a lot, most notably when downloading (pfSense) and moving files to/from the NAS.

Reactions: Patrick