K8's On VMware

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ecosse

Jul 2, 2013
Hi

After some advice - whats the "best" (if any) way to go on a bit pf container action. I've a cluster of a couple of ESXi servers under vCenter on 6.7u2. I'm using a a pair of FusionIO drives with a Storevirtual virtual san (lefthand) to give me a shared storage layer. My identified options are:

1. Upgrade to ESXi 7, change my storage layer (cry) and use VMUG licensing to install Tanzu (I've seen a one node cluster config I can use)
2. Upgrade to ESXi 6.7u3 and use the install guide here Running a Kubernetes cluster on vSphere with kubeadm · GitBook to reach container-heaven
3. Split the cluster, leave one on 6.7, upgrade the other one to 7 and then use Tanzu on the 7.

Any pros or cons of these, other than having in #1 to replace my FusionIO drives? I'm in a mindset where ideally I'd like to move to one always-on server to save on electricity and notwithstanding the dilemma above with a bit of hard love on storage I just about could make it. So i am leaning towards #2 at the moment as I can consolidate to one server easily if/when I choose to.

Thanks for reading!

new2town

May 28, 2020
Unless there's a specific reason that you want/need to learn Tanzu, you may want to take a look at Rancher. I went down the rabbit-hole and played with Tanzu over the summer and found it extremely frustrating (spotty documentation, super complex setup, etc). I found it WAAAAAYYYY easier to get K8 cluster set up with Rancher orchestration including auto-magic scaling of the cluster via vSphere API.

dswartz

Jul 14, 2011
Hmm, worth looking at, thanks! So much of the sh*t I've seen is either spottily (if at all) documented, or requires 3 months of studying and a learning curve that is steep.