Just scored this IB switch, how did I do?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

neo

Mar 18, 2015
Good price. Good switch. It sounds like a jet plane at take-off though.

What will you be using to connect to it?

Dajinn

Jun 2, 2015
I'll probably pick up some connectx-2 cards, still waiting on a seller to respond to an offer I sent actually, and go IPoIB.

groove

Sep 21, 2011
Does it quite down after initial startup or does it stay loud through out the time its on ?

Good price. Good switch. It sounds like a jet plane at take-off though.

What will you be using to connect to it?

neo

Mar 18, 2015
I'll probably pick up some connectx-2 cards, still waiting on a seller to respond to an offer I sent actually, and go IPoIB.
Sounds good, just make sure you purchase QSFP ConnectX-2 card though.

Does it quite down after initial startup or does it stay loud through out the time its on ?
Not from what I have observed. They are designed to run at 100% load 24/7 in a datacenter. Generates quite a bit of heat too.

Dajinn

Jun 2, 2015
If you are thinking of purchasing one of the switches I linked in OP I would hold off until I can report back on some details I'm waiting on from the seller. They seem clueless. I think they only have a few on hand but I literally gave them super specific instructions on how to check the specific model number and they were like sorry, didn't see it but here's a picture of a useless generic Mellanox label that shows IS-50xx.

The information is relevant because the model depends on which rail kit you need to get and also the FabricIT license key is located on a tab physically on the switch. It is possible the labels get removed during resale so I asked for pictures of both sides of the tab...

Reactions: neo

Dajinn

Jun 2, 2015
I'm a little hesitant on sending payment for this switch as I am not able to easily find the download location for their subnet manager. I think you need to request a login for it. Has anyone purchased a used IB/Mellanox switch and requested a login and gotten access?

Dajinn

Jun 2, 2015
do all of the mellanox based IB switches use the same openSM manager unless you license or get access to their special management programs?

Dajinn

Jun 2, 2015
I posted on the Mellanox community forums regarding S/w downloads for second-hand switches and this is the response I got:

"Typically the support site and new versions download is reserved for contracted customers.

You can certainly purchase a support contract for this switch. Mellanox support can help with that."

I guess I'm just worried that with whatever platform I end up using whether or not it's some UNIX distro/hypervisor or Windows /w Hyper-V that at a bare minimum I'll be able to manage VLANs or IP configs at the switch level?

I take it that these "managed" switches nullify the need to have openSM run on individual nodes that are interconnected with ConnectX adapters, right?

Would love to get some final information about those things before I end up with a 250 dollar paperweight.

Dajinn

Jun 2, 2015
After some additional contact with Mellanox support I received a FabricIT .img file and user manual.

Will provide download links shortly once they finish(internet slow at work today). I assume you need a license key from the switch to use FabricIT.

Reactions: T_Minus