Just ordered a part directly from Supermicro for the first time

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
What an ordeal. First I called them and they told me to fill out an RMA request form on their website as a first step. Had to do it 3 times because it's not really a form to order parts. Finally got it done and they emailed me another form to fill out and sign and email back to them. After that I got an email telling me I would be receiving an invoice from Paypal tomorrow and as soon as I paid the part would be shipped out. I did find the part on a couple of websites but thought they were both grossly over priced, I was right. The Supermicro price was a fraction of the others sources. Took a little work but I guess the money I saved made it worth it. I guess.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Doesn't sound like it was from Supermicro eStore

But instead, it sounds like you did an RMA, which yes, through every manufacturer is a process you have to go through. 1-2 day process isn't bad, some manufacturers have taken me weeks :(

I like SupermIcro support and RMA, I get to talk to a real tech via email (I like this) and then get rma # and fill out form, then get new part ASAP. Painless, and not a "support rep" support type issue.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Doesn't sound like it was from Supermicro eStore

But instead, it sounds like you did an RMA, which yes, through every manufacturer is a process you have to go through. 1-2 day process isn't bad, some manufacturers have taken me weeks :(

I like SupermIcro support and RMA, I get to talk to a real tech via email (I like this) and then get rma # and fill out form, then get new part ASAP. Painless, and not a "support rep" support type issue.
The part I needed, a rear window for a SC825TQ isn't available in the eStore. You have to jump thru hoops to get it and I assume any true part as opposed to a commodity item. I'm OK with this now that I know how to do it. Won't need to very often tho. In this case I'm upgrading a X8DTU-F MB with a X9DTW-IF and the back panel is different. The entire rear of the chassis has to be replaced to facilitate the upgrade. I thought about just hacking it up with a Dremel but decided in the end to do it the right way. No doubt I'm breathing new life into this old chassis.

zack$

Aug 16, 2018
Wait...you can order the rear windows ?? Is this possible other than thru a RMA process?

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Wait...you can order the rear windows ?? Is this possible other than thru a RMA process?
Apparently that's the only way to get it from Supermicro. All they sell in the eStore is commodity items. A search for an actual part turns up nothing. To Supermicro's credit, they will sell to the little guy direct, just takes a bit of work.

itronin

Nov 24, 2018
Denver, Colorado
Apparently that's the only way to get it from Supermicro. All they sell in the eStore is commodity items. A search for an actual part turns up nothing. To Supermicro's credit, they will sell to the little guy direct, just takes a bit of work.
FWIW, on a couple of parts that were not in the e-store I used the chat function. Chatted with a nice person, they communicated with some folks and in a day the part appeared int he e-store.

I've also used chat to ask about parts that were OOS and a similar process - apparently they will move parts from their build inventory into the e-store upon a (nice) request.

Doesn't mean it would have worked for your situation @Fritz, simply offering the experiences I've had.

Reactions: Fritz

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
FWIW, on a couple of parts that were not in the e-store I used the chat function. Chatted with a nice person, they communicated with some folks and in a day the part appeared int he e-store.

I've also used chat to ask about parts that were OOS and a similar process - apparently they will move parts from their build inventory into the e-store upon a (nice) request.

Doesn't mean it would have worked for your situation @Fritz, simply offering the experiences I've had.
Thanks. Did they send you a tracking number?

itronin

Nov 24, 2018
Denver, Colorado
Thanks. Did they send you a tracking number?
Yes, because it was the "normal order process" since they added the item to the estore or moved parts that were OOS into their store inventory. Place order, get confirmation email with order link, then it ships, another email etc.

I will add I have used their RMA process once for an item I bought through the e-store and used inside sales (via chat) to help figure out what to buy before the purchase- but the product was not a match for the use case in an SC836 despite working with the folks there prior to the purchase.

The RMA process was arduous because it was (is?) based on the premise that you have an existing system / serial number that is warrantied.
I had to get help (chat again) to fill out the system RMA form correctly for an estore return. Fortunately I started the process within their return window and had email and chat log backup. The RMA team did not act on the RMA for about 55 days or so. Pretty sure they basically forgot about it. Had to escalate (again through chat), finally got an RMA # and away it went. Another 30 days I had my credit.

A couple of things, SM charges shipping, can take 2-14 days in my experience. I think their shipping prices are okay - not super cheap, not super expensive. Better if you have more items. 1 or 2 items may be better off the bay... see next paragraph.

I have observed that some of these weird SM parts (and commodity estore items) can be found on the bay - they seem to be sold by the same folks, tm_space (not so coincidentally in San Jose) is one of them vigilante1317 (Chicago) may be another though I'm thinking the latter is more into deconstructing systems. tm_space for example tends to charge 100%+ markup, but free shipping, some items are marked special handling 7-14 day delay. Pretty sure this entity is just using the SM order process and has figured out how to get their weird SM parts through their system. Maybe ex- (current) employee?

Me I tend to (usually) be more patient so will save up a few items and then place a SM order to decrease the shipping per item.

Reactions: Fritz

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Yes, because it was the "normal order process" since they added the item to the estore or moved parts that were OOS into their store inventory. Place order, get confirmation email with order link, then it ships, another email etc.

I will add I have used their RMA process once for an item I bought through the e-store and used inside sales (via chat) to help figure out what to buy before the purchase- but the product was not a match for the use case in an SC836 despite working with the folks there prior to the purchase.

The RMA process was arduous because it was (is?) based on the premise that you have an existing system / serial number that is warrantied.
I had to get help (chat again) to fill out the system RMA form correctly for an estore return. Fortunately I started the process within their return window and had email and chat log backup. The RMA team did not act on the RMA for about 55 days or so. Pretty sure they basically forgot about it. Had to escalate (again through chat), finally got an RMA # and away it went. Another 30 days I had my credit.

A couple of things, SM charges shipping, can take 2-14 days in my experience. I think their shipping prices are okay - not super cheap, not super expensive. Better if you have more items. 1 or 2 items may be better off the bay... see next paragraph.

I have observed that some of these weird SM parts (and commodity estore items) can be found on the bay - they seem to be sold by the same folks, tm_space (not so coincidentally in San Jose) is one of them vigilante1317 (Chicago) may be another though I'm thinking the latter is more into deconstructing systems. tm_space for example tends to charge 100%+ markup, but free shipping, some items are marked special handling 7-14 day delay. Pretty sure this entity is just using the SM order process and has figured out how to get their weird SM parts through their system. Maybe ex- (current) employee?

Me I tend to (usually) be more patient so will save up a few items and then place a SM order to decrease the shipping per item.
Thanks. Think I'll shoot them an email to make sure I haven't fallen through the cracks. I did find what I was looking for via Google but they wanted 3 times as much and it said "Drop shipped from the Mfg." I thought hell, I can do that too. Hence me going directly to SM.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Emailed them and they responded with a tracking number. ETA is Wednesday.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
It arrived today and I now have an updated / upgraded SC 825TQ with an X9DRW-IF MB and an SAS2 Backplane. I had to take a grinder to the riser bracket, unused part of it hit the memory. Grinder took care of that problem. I know from now on to check with SM before ordering parts from eBay, etc.

Reactions: zack$ and itronin