Just got an X8DTL-iF with two E5630s, CPU fans spin at max and don't reduce once running

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Chris Beasley

Jun 5, 2015
Hi,

I've just taken receipt of a used SM X8DTL-iF with two CPUs. Updated to latest BIOS and IPMI firmware, and both CPU fans (original Intel ones I think, 2u by the size of them) are plugged in to Fan1 & Fan2. The issue now is that upon booting the system, the fans start at quiet at POST but as soon as vSphere 5.5 or 6.0 loads up, the fan speed increases even though it has plenty of cool air passing over the heatsinks and their cool to touch. Once vSphere, Xen or even Windows Server is running the fans stay at about 7500 rpm each and do not drop until I shut the system down.

I've been through the BIOS and played with all the settings and nothing changes. Whilst I expect some noise from this form of system, and its final location won't be within earshot per se, it would be great to understand why the fans won't spin down in any piece of software unlike my Dell R410 which is like a rocket at startup but becomes a gentle hum once running.

Any pointers to get this thing running better?

Many thanks,

Chris

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Hey Chris! Is this being installed in the house???

The most likely cause is fan failure or a fan not plugged in that should be. That's been my experience with SM boards... also unplugging a fan after it's running has the same affect as a failed fan.

When you connect via IPMI what is the status of the fans?

Todd

Last edited:

Chris Beasley

Jun 5, 2015
Hey Todd, by castle I presume you mean house? If so, kinda. My house has a raised sub-floor, kinda like a basement but no internal access. It has great airflow, low humidity and because of Auckland (New Zealand's) climate, winter temperatures don't drop below around 3 or 4 degrees over night... In fact, today the outside temp was around 19 degrees and we're currently in Winter!

I thought it might be fan failure causing the main CPU fans to spin up to compensate and to avoid frying chips, but I plugged in a non-PWM fan in to header 3 (of 6) and that didn't do anything apart from record the fan RPM (which was at 1100); the two CPU fans still were still running at full bore. I can get more PWM fans for the case, I just want to minimise expense; New Zealand is expensive for computer gear, especially server stuff.

IPMI reports that 3 of the 6 fan headers are connected, and that two of them are spinning at around 7500 rpm and the other one is spinning at 1100 rpm. It also reports that the other 3 headers are N/A or whatever term it uses. Had a look at the power details and they're all in the middle of the thresholds, where they should be.

Cheers,

Chris

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
@Chris Beasley - some SM mobos you can set fan speed to Optimal - the one with spindown) using IPMI. I'd download IPMIview, login and see if you can do it there. The X8's I believe had this feature.

Reactions: T_Minus

Chris Beasley

Jun 5, 2015
@MiniKnight The only opens I have in the BIOS (at latest version according to SM support page) is 'Energy Save; Balanced; Performance; Full Speed', there is no optimal setting and IPMIview doesn't have any fan options.

At the moment I now have 3 PWM fans plugged in and one normal fan and its still going nuts, I might have to scavenge another two PWM fans to fill all the headers and see if that makes any difference.

When its quiet, you can't hear it but right now all the fans are spinning at full speed and there is nothing I can do to slow it down!

Are you able to downgrade SM bioses? Would be interesting to see if 'optimal' comes back (if it was ever there) in different versions.

Cheers,

Chris

Chris Beasley

Jun 5, 2015
So, I've managed to get all the fan headers installed temporarly by stealing fans from other machines around the house. Now, the main fans on the CPUs don't generally exceed 3500 RPM with the other fans sitting low. This motherboard appears to need all the fan headers connected to work properly... I'll be investing in some new PWM fans this week then!

Now, the default intel heatsink fans are whine quite a lot and it would be good to look at changing them. Any reocmmendations for a dual LGA 1366 heatsink/fans for this motherboard given the closeness of the cpu sockets?

Cheers,

Chris

marv

Apr 2, 2015
Hi,

when you have both CPUs installed, you have to place fan also on IOH (north bridge) heatsink, because both QPI links are active, it gets hot, and system tries to mitigate it by raising rpm of other fans. Same goes for some more power hungry pcie cards, e.g. Mellanox CX2- unless you have it in case with proper airflow of course.

britinpdx

Feb 8, 2013
Portland OR
Any reocmmendations for a dual LGA 1366 heatsink/fans for this motherboard given the closeness of the cpu sockets?
My go-to LGA1366 heatsinks are as follows ..
2U applications: Intel STS100C
4U applications: Supermicro SNK-P0040AP4

when you have both CPUs installed, you have to place fan also on IOH (north bridge) heatsink, because both QPI links are active, it gets hot, and system tries to mitigate it by raising rpm of other fans.
My first supermicro 1366 build was in a regular desktop case and the lack of sufficient airflow over the IOH caused reboots and blue screens. (It didn't help that I was using a x8dth-if, which has two 5520 chipsets)

The Intel thermal spec for the 5520/5500 chipsets indicates a TDP of 13W at idle and 27W under load, so airflow is important.

If needed I use the Antec Spot Cool 100 as a means of providing additional airflow to the IOH.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
I had similar problems testing in a 846 without shroud or cover, the ROC was over heating... put on a 40mm and bam, no more problems, others here had to do the same, even in a 846 with OEM airflow, they sometimes over heat it seems. Shroud doesn't cover the ROC but the 1 fan out of the shroud would be channeled direct over it.

Last edited:

Chris Beasley

Jun 5, 2015
My go-to LGA1366 heatsinks are as follows ..
2U applications: Intel STS100C
4U applications: Supermicro SNK-P0040AP4

My first supermicro 1366 build was in a regular desktop case and the lack of sufficient airflow over the IOH caused reboots and blue screens. (It didn't help that I was using a x8dth-if, which has two 5520 chipsets)

The Intel thermal spec for the 5520/5500 chipsets indicates a TDP of 13W at idle and 27W under load, so airflow is important.

If needed I use the Antec Spot Cool 100 as a means of providing additional airflow to the IOH.
Excellent thanks! I will investigate this option too. Appreciate the help!