Juniper switch licensing...

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

sth

Oct 29, 2015
Using a used Juniper EX4300-48p here which I needed to configure some multicast switching on to support some video streaming needs came across this "error", 'warning: requires 'ospf2' license'. Google-fu enabled me to discover that to use the following features on the EX4300 switches, you must install an EFL:
  • IGMP (Internet Group Management Protocol) version 1 (IGMPv1), IGMPv2, and IGMPv3
  • Multicast Source Discovery Protocol (MSDP)
  • OSPFv2/v3
  • Protocol Independent Multicast (PIM) dense mode, PIM source-specific mode, PIM sparse mode
which kinda makes things difficult... and expensive. With this unit being outside of current Juniper support, can I purchase/add a EFL license to enable the above features or will it require being under Juniper support to be able to enable by them?

scline

Apr 7, 2016
Juniper licenses at this time are honor based, meaning most features like OSPF/BGP etc will give such alert when committing changes and leave an annoying log message with a yellow (warning) LED alert that licensing is needed. Functionality the license is complaining about should still work.

I recommend adding the following configuration to keep your log files readable, you also should not expect Juniper support if they see your are running things w/o licenses (does not sound like this will even be the case).
Code:
set system syslog file messages match "!(.*usage requires a license.*)"
Example readouts from my home switch (EX3300)
Code:
root@las1-ex3300-sw1> show system alarms
1 alarms currently active
Alarm time               Class  Description
2018-03-05 23:16:35 PST  Minor  OSPFv2 Routing Protocol usage requires a license

{master:0}
root@las1-ex3300-sw1> show chassis alarms
No alarms currently active

{master:0}
root@las1-ex3300-sw1> show ospf neighbor
Address          Interface              State     ID               Pri  Dead
172.28.0.18      vlan.1723              Full      172.28.0.18        1    30