Juniper MX204/480 vs QFX10002-36Q

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

salvadorb

Jul 14, 2021
Hi guys,
I hope you're doing good. I am looking to replace a Mikrotik CCR1072 (currently doing BGP, 3 peers with full BGP, and some basic firewall rules). I was wondering if I could use a Juniper QFX10002-36Q to replace it, or if I have to go to something like a MX204 or MX480?

What is the main difference between the MX and the QFX lines? (Besides that the QFX has several more ports)

Thanks in advance :)

scline

Apr 7, 2016
I would not recommend it, while on paper it appears the QFX10k can handle up to 2M routes - I don't believe that is enough for 3+ full table's of IPv4+6. The 10k is more of a layer3 switch designed for CLOS/SDN/xVLAN technologies vs full ISP router like the MX lines. Have not check other protocols the two support, but I assume outside basic BGP you may not have a full feature set expected for ISP peering/MPLS (just a guess though).

If your purchasing through a var or vendor, you may want to run your needs by them. Generally they are upfront about products and placement. If from ebay etc nvm :p

TLDR:
QFX = Layer3 Switch
MX = Fully featured router

salvadorb

Jul 14, 2021
I would not recommend it, while on paper it appears the QFX10k can handle up to 2M routes - I don't believe that is enough for 3+ full table's of IPv4+6. The 10k is more of a layer3 switch designed for CLOS/SDN/xVLAN technologies vs full ISP router like the MX lines. Have not check other protocols the two support, but I assume outside basic BGP you may not have a full feature set expected for ISP peering/MPLS (just a guess though).

If your purchasing through a var or vendor, you may want to run your needs by them. Generally they are upfront about products and placement. If from ebay etc nvm :p

TLDR:
QFX = Layer3 Switch
MX = Fully featured router
Good feedback, thank you scline for your comments!