Joke/Mishap Thread - Post all your funny and shitty ideas/experiences/thoughts

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
You're a little off topic from the theme of this thread (but maybe not if you post again after the fire :) JK). In any case, I think you would need to add a simple charge controller for the batteries. Without it you'll destroy the batteries fairly quick and perhaps actually risk that fire @blinkenlights refers to.

Also - you really want to put a metal pan under those batteries in the cart just in case they do overcharge, swell and crack. You need it even when using sealed gels.
If all this happens it won't be off topic anymore. :p

Jiaxinxi

Aug 23, 2017
Well, now we all know what burned down Cheryl's She Shed (cheryl's she shed - Google Search) :D

Joking aside, unless you have active cooling (HVAC), live at high elevation in a cool climate, or live in Iceland, I think you will have trouble keeping the servers from overheating. Not a bad idea, but you may end up spending far more money than simply paying for electricity to power and cool the server indoors. That is one of the big problems with solar power in the States -- you have to use it for several years/decades before it pays off relative to basic utilities. That is the blessing and curse of cheap energy.
Yeah, money wise it doesn't make sense at all. In my area The power company doesn't support installation of solar panel on the roof. They buy back electricity at the wholesale price instead of retail price which makes solar installation doesn't make sense at all. However, even knowing this, there is one neighbor still installed 30 x 260W solar panel on his roof. Talking about shitty idea. The installation cost is enough to power the whole house for 30 years.

You're a little off topic from the theme of this thread (but maybe not if you post again after the fire :) JK). In any case, I think you would need to add a simple charge controller for the batteries. Without it you'll destroy the batteries fairly quick and perhaps actually risk that fire @blinkenlights refers to.

Also - you really want to put a metal pan under those batteries in the cart just in case they do overcharge, swell and crack. You need it even when using sealed gels.

Yeah, I have this 40A MPPT charger controller. It is able to handle few more solar panels at 12V.

1590001757093.png

If all this happens it won't be off topic anymore. :p
It has been running for almost 2 years, no fire yet:(.

It is currently powering

Asus RT-AC68U (Tmobile version) as a AIMesh node
BV cheap 5 port POE switch with 3 POEcamers

Yes, there is a DELL 2748 switch below used as rack shelf.
It is actually cheaper than a real rack shelf:)

1590002302466.png

There is one camera point to the solar rack. It is connected to Synology Surveillance Station with high sensitivity motion detection so that hopefully I can get notification when something happens.

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
Talking about shitty idea. The installation cost is enough to power the whole house for 30 years.
My local excuse for an electric utility got a government grant to install tiny (18" x 36") panels on every utility pole in their service area, in exchange for the right to raise rates 10% per year which cannot be challenged by the regulatory board or customers. And of course it is bundled into the "transport" part of the bill, not the "generation" part, so you can't opt out by changing providers.

Each of these panels has its own inverter, "protective equipment", and wireless communication gear. And it is directly connected to the low-voltage (120/240 or 120/208) grid. You can easily pull 5000A or more from those cables. A short circuit or other problem in the solar panel system generally sees the pole go up in flames. The manufacturer seems to have moved on from making those panels to selling "5G street lights".