Jobs/Hiring Forum?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Layla

Game Engine Developer
Jun 21, 2016
Where would be the most appropriate place on servethehome forums to post about looking for people to join our team? Is there a reason why there isn't a sub-forum for this? Clearly we'd want to keep it STH<-->STH members only and no recruiters....

Serverking

The quieter you are, the more you can hear...
Jan 6, 2019
We should not only have a job sub-forum but also one for services.

Reactions: Layla

Layla

Game Engine Developer
Jun 21, 2016
And some people gain skills on here that they might eventually want to use on a new job? Dunno it seems odd to have a community of people developing and sharing about a set of skillsets, and then speak for all of them that they wouldn't want to possibly work together with each other at some point using those skillets?

Reactions: Evan

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
The problem is that the number of suitable candidates on here is very limited for any given role. I, like most people here, tinker with all kinds of enterprise grade hardware, but I'm a software engineer, so I couldn't make the jump to any role involving hardware (at least in a senior position). Even within software engineering, most would be specialized to certain aspects, so you're already taking a small pool and reducing it so much further.

Lastly, geography plays a large part too. This forum is quite diverse, but for example, no one outside the US could be hired on my team for regulatory reasons and corporate policies regarding NPI access. When you factor all of this in, I would be lucky to find more than a few candidates that would fit these requirements on here, and that's assuming everyone is actually interested in a new job. Just not worth it overall.

Layla

Game Engine Developer
Jun 21, 2016
Isn't that a reason to not participate in the forum? I'm not talking about fortune500 jobs, either...

BlueFox

Oct 26, 2015
That would only reinforce my point that you're already limiting things so much further. If you need talent on your team, there are really better suited avenues for that. Being part a niche hardware community does not indicate proficiency for any given role just in the same that many highly skilled individuals elect not to take this up as a hobby.

Layla

Game Engine Developer
Jun 21, 2016
Pray tell where are these better places? And what makes them mutually exclusive? I'm not sure why your views on this are a reason to not have a forum for the rest of us? They're an excellent reason for you to not participate in such a forum.

BlueFox

Oct 26, 2015
I'm sure you're familiar with all the commonly used job boards. As for why not to have the forum, while I cannot speak for Patrick, I'm sure there has to be adequate interest and activity on any given topic for it to warrant a subforum of its own, among other things. I cannot see how this would meet that criteria.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Hey all. Apologies. Trying to get my head above water here.

I am 100% OK with a jobs section. Whether that is full-time or just part-time contract work.

This may be a chicken-and-egg problem. We have historically not had a section for this because we do not have content. We do not have content, because we do not have a section.

@Layla - If you have a posting or two that you want to put up, I will make the section and we can see how it fares. Perhaps I can find some small projects for bounties on STH for it too once we get through Milan/Ice Lake release cycles.

Is that fair?

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
I would think this is a decent idea, maybe also you know one off contract stuff as well, sometimes you just need somebody to do some small piece work.
I think you wound be surprised the type of people hanging out here, sometimes looking the less common way yields better results. Certainly it can supplement the other avenues.

Reactions: Layla

schmookeeg

Mar 25, 2016
Alameda, CA
www.msxpert.com
And some people gain skills on here that they might eventually want to use on a new job? Dunno it seems odd to have a community of people developing and sharing about a set of skillsets, and then speak for all of them that they wouldn't want to possibly work together with each other at some point using those skillets?
I get spammed for jobs in most of my other tech-centric online hangouts and places I lurk. At this point, my Gmail spam filter is a hate crime against the Indian subcontinent and its recruiting body shops. I can't bear to go on linkedin to report 20 new spammers who I don't know but omg need to connect with me to talk about the work I do.

I sort of enjoy the peace here.

...funny this was posted on the same day that the HN "Whos Hiring?" thread is afoot. That seems really odd timing. :D

Layla

Game Engine Developer
Jun 21, 2016
I think it's important to keep it limited to real STH people - is there a way to limit certain sections to require more history before you can post? E.g. no newbies in the jobs section to ward off recruiters and scammers? You have to have a few legit posts under your belt first? Not sure the best mechanism, but I agree we wouldn't want it to turn into a linkedin situation.

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
This reminds me about the "great deals" discussions (limiting it to "real sth people" excluding companies/businesses from making money).
Personally I like open forums where sometimes people with small post counts can make excellent contributions :)
(Didn't fohdeesha had less than 100 posts before he started the brocade thread? A limit like "100 or more posts" would have excluded him from certain sections)

Layla

Game Engine Developer
Jun 21, 2016
I was thinking more along the lines of 10 posts - but I agree it's a difficult balance to achieve.