EU Joblot 4 x BigFoot XXL (48x3.5"+8x2.5") (DEAD)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

yazyaz

Oct 5, 2017
Hi guys,

My 1st post here :)

I find a job lot for 4 x BigFoot XXL storage server @ 530,65€ include shipping outside UK

MODEL BIGFOOTXXL 60325
MODULES1 x L1-25376-01, 1 x H3-25373-01H, L3-25413-10B Controller
CPU2 x Intel Xeon Hex-Core E5-2620 2.00GHz Processor
FORM FACTOR48 x 3.5" (6 x 2.5" Rear)
PSU3 x 900W Power Supply
HDDN/A

but no tray :(

Link : EBAY

Never had problem with the seller : Datatek.

Reactions: gb00s and bob_dvb

Lennong

Jun 8, 2017
Yes, asked another seller and got info:

Hi, from our tech;

The backplane has SAS connectors, the current motherboard is Extended ATX so the chassis should be compatible with ATX motherboards. The backplanes are Supermicro BPN-SAS2-936EL1 which have single expanders on each.

To bad I run SATA disks only.

BeTeP

Mar 23, 2019
It's an auction without BIN with 3+ days to go... so not a deal?

Lennong

Jun 8, 2017
It's an auction without BIN with 3+ days to go... so not a deal?
I would say so. I bought another one with a little bit lower specs but the seller managed to dig up the missing caddys. Also better deal on shipping and total cost. Bought from the seller before and 100% rep. I have a Norco RPC-4220 that are full and I'm a bit concerned with the cooling on it. Mounted a fan shroud in front but it's not satisfactory. In any case all 24 slots are filled with 10-14TB disk anyway so its time to step it up. Also I like the cooling arrangement on the BigFoot XXLarge. Pretty sure I can mod in 3x140mm Noctua PPC-3000 on each end of the disk bay. Did that on the Norco. Should be better flow in the BigFoot I reckon.

RAUSCH BigFoot XXLarge Server 2x L5630 48GB Ram 3x 160GB +2x 40GB SSD BIGFOOTXXL | eBay

Last edited:

kapone

May 23, 2015
I may be completely off base here...but this just sounds like pimping the Ebay seller.

@Lennong @yazyaz - Am I off base? This is not that dis-similar to the Chenbro 48 bay NR 40700 chassis...and for ~$600 Euros, it's not exactly cheap.

Lennong

Jun 8, 2017
I may be completely off base here...but this just sounds like pimping the Ebay seller.

@Lennong @yazyaz - Am I off base? This is not that dis-similar to the Chenbro 48 bay NR 40700 chassis...and for ~$600 Euros, it's not exactly cheap.
Well, I ended up paying ~460 Euro include shipping to Sweden for the one I linked (different seller) and the Chenbro is nowhere to be found in the EU for remotely close to that price. I also specifically like the fact that the PSU's are a bit different organized on the older BigFoot XXLarge that I bought. My intent is to modify it to fit in a regular ATX PSU to the left. I'm pleased. ;)

Last edited:

yazyaz

Oct 5, 2017
hi all,

here the price is for 4 units. (132€ per unit)

I need one, but not the 4.

DieBlub

Dec 11, 2017
What kind of trays do these things use, my googlefoo ain't strong enough to find them? Or would be 3D printing some be a non terrible choice? Btw anyone going for this? I could use two of them probably. Based in Austria/Germany.

yazyaz

Oct 5, 2017
hi,

it seems to be without tray, like this :

but i found this too : (new version ??)

DieBlub

Dec 11, 2017
hi,

it seems to be without tray, like this :

but i found this too : (new version ??)
Thanks! I have found the manufacturer's page now as well. It seems like the second picture is from there more recent line up, same name but e5-26XX v4 processors. So it seams like they don't use trays for the older ones. I can deal with that. I'm probably gonna go for it, will see, there's still a little time left.

Lennong

Jun 8, 2017
Thanks! I have found the manufacturer's page now as well. It seems like the second picture is from there more recent line up, same name but e5-26XX v4 processors. So it seams like they don't use trays for the older ones. I can deal with that. I'm probably gonna go for it, will see, there's still a little time left.
Yes. I got this answer from the seller:
"Hi, good news, there's 45 drive plastic mounting parts - they screw on the side of the disks and these allow you to install in the bays."

From what I understand its a type of plastic sled that steers the disk in the slot. No caddys really. I actually prefer this as its allows for better cooling with less resistanse and exposed disks. I will probably dremel out a bit bigger holes between the rows as well but that will be decided once here.

At any rate the 'sleds' if only attached on the side probably will be easy to measure and print.

I found a better photo from the seller I bought from. There it's more easy to see the mounting sleds:
RAUSCH BigFoot Storage XXLarge Server 2x L5630 CPU 48GB Ram 90.56TB BIGFOOTXXL | eBay

Last edited:
Reactions: DieBlub

DieBlub

Dec 11, 2017
Yes. I got this answer from the seller:
"Hi, good news, there's 45 drive plastic mounting parts - they screw on the side of the disks and these allow you to install in the bays."

From what I understand its a type of plastic sled that steers the disk in the slot. No caddys really. I actually prefer this as its allows for better cooling with less resistanse and exposed disks. I will probably dremel out a bit bigger holes between the rows as well but that will be decided once here.

At any rate the 'sleds' if only attached on the side probably will be easy to measure and print.
That's great news! Thanks for contacting the seller. There is nothing like getting a good deal on a disk array just to figure out you'll have to shell out for 45+ trays at 15 bucks a pop. Cool so we can print those if any fail or don't arrive. Awesome!

Lennong

Jun 8, 2017
That's great news! Thanks for contacting the seller. There is nothing like getting a good deal on a disk array just to figure out you'll have to shell out for 45+ trays at 15 bucks a pop. Cool so we can print those if any fail or don't arrive. Awesome!
Sure. I won't fill it up for a quite some time so I don't mind lending out a sled for measuring and that.

Lennong

Jun 8, 2017
What kind of trays do these things use, my googlefoo ain't strong enough to find them? Or would be 3D printing some be a non terrible choice? Btw anyone going for this? I could use two of them probably. Based in Austria/Germany.
Actually, I might be interested in one from that lot as well. The sled problem seems to be 'solved'... PM.