JBOD freenas expansion SuperMicro

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

RonnieFlink

Nov 18, 2017
I'm planning a JBOD expansion for my current FreeNAS build. I've created a diagram of my planned build. My questions are:
Am I missing any cables, cards or anything else (Besides hard drives)?
Is there a card or cable I should be getting instead of what I have listed? Cheaper/Better?
Thank you!

freenas-expand.jpg

Parts list:
LSI LSI00188 PCI Express Low Profile Ready SATA / SAS 9200-8e Controller Card (Single Pack)--Avago Technologies ($78.56)
LSI LSI00188 PCI Express Low Profile Ready SATA / SAS 9200-8e Controller Card (Single Pack)--Avago Technologies - Newegg.com

2x Monoprice 1m SFF-8088 Male to SFF-8088 Male (2x $21.99)
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B008VLHK6W/

Supermicro Internal to External MiniSAS 2 Ports (CBL-0168L) ($36.69)
Supermicro Internal to External MiniSAS 2 Ports Full Height Cascading 66/59cm Cable (CBL-0168L)

Supermicro 846E16-R1200B BAREBONE 4U Server BPN-SAS2-846EL1 24x TRAYS NO PWS
Backplane: BPN-SAS2-846EL ($399.00)
Supermicro 846E16-R1200B BAREBONE 4U Server BPN-SAS2-846EL1 24x TRAYS NO PWS | eBay

PWS: PWS-920P-SQ SUPERMICRO ($111.99)
PWS-920P-SQ SUPERMICRO 920W 80 PLUS PLATINUM 1U SWITCHING POWER SUPPLY | eBay

Supermicro CB3 power board w/remote on/off function CSE-PTJBOD-CB3 ($111.54)
Supermicro CSE-PTJBOD-CB3 Accessories

Total cost minus HDDs: $781.76

Last edited:

StammesOpfer

Mar 15, 2016
That works could probably save a few $ by getting a OEM HBA (Dell is usually my goto) and a ptjbod-cb1 (or cb2) if you don't need the features of the cb3.

RonnieFlink

Nov 18, 2017
I want to be able to shut down the server properly in case of power failure. It's on a UPS but I imagine there is some way for the freenas to shut it down remotely when the freenas is notified of a power failure. That's why I selected the CB3. Thanks for the advice.

StammesOpfer

Mar 15, 2016
Might want to do some more research on that. I'm not saying you can't but may not be easy. The FreeNAS server can be shutdown automatically with the right setup, which means the no data will be going to the JBOD drives and no risk of lost data but it would still be getting power and fans running until the ups dies. I can't find a single mention of it having an UPS option in the CB3 IPMI (I don't have one myself) and it isn't going to be as easy as SSHing into it and issuing a command. Hopefully someone with one here can clarify for you.

pc-tecky

May 1, 2013
https://www.supermicro.com/manuals/other/CSE-PTJBOD-CB3.pdf

It's basically an IPMI web-based GUI card to power cycle the unit. Upon power loss, it will reboot the unit roughly 15 seconds after power is restored. I suspect it's not quite what you are expecting it will do. But a very interesting find.

I read the OP to say the FreeNAS box and the JBOD unit are both on a UPS (either the same UPS or separate UPSes).

Last edited:

RonnieFlink

Nov 18, 2017
Might want to do some more research on that. I'm not saying you can't but may not be easy. The FreeNAS server can be shutdown automatically with the right setup, which means the no data will be going to the JBOD drives and no risk of lost data but it would still be getting power and fans running until the ups dies. I can't find a single mention of it having an UPS option in the CB3 IPMI (I don't have one myself) and it isn't going to be as easy as SSHing into it and issuing a command. Hopefully someone with one here can clarify for you.
Yeah. I guess that makes sense. I should just get the 2 then (the docs for that barebones supermicro say the 2). Save a bit of money that way. Don't need the IPMI. Getting more than 2 fans going would be nice but I'm sure there are ways to hack that in.

pc-tecky

May 1, 2013
If you have a dremel with a cutoff wheel or a small bur bit, then modifying the PDU so it can seat the PWS-1K28-SQ PSUs will work just fine. Several have done just that. I even posted within these forums about doing just that after not being 100% certain that the PDUs would take the newer 1K28-SQ PSUs. (The big difference boils down to the 19-pin edge-card connector or the 23-pin edge-card connector on the PDU, and mostly for DC ground). After several searches (rather lengthy hit and miss searches, more misses than anything) for an updated and newer PDU for my SC-846 chassis, I just found taking the dremel to the older PDU, while a bit nerve racking, was significantly faster, and very effective. Finding the right PDU (with all of it's variations and revisions over the last 20-something years) is like searching for the needle in the hay stack. Buy it new with a heavy premium, or buy it used and be prepared to modify it.

RonnieFlink

Nov 18, 2017
If you have a dremel with a cutoff wheel or a small bur bit, then modifying the PDU so it can seat the PWS-1K28-SQ PSUs will work just fine. Several have done just that. I even posted within these forums about doing just that after not being 100% certain that the PDUs would take the newer 1K28-SQ PSUs. (The big difference boils down to the 19-pin edge-card connector or the 23-pin edge-card connector on the PDU, and mostly for DC ground). After several searches (rather lengthy hit and miss searches, more misses than anything) for an updated and newer PDU for my SC-846 chassis, I just found taking the dremel to the older PDU, while a bit nerve racking, was significantly faster, and very effective. Finding the right PDU (with all of it's variations and revisions over the last 20-something years) is like searching for the needle in the hay stack. Buy it new with a heavy premium, or buy it used and be prepared to modify it.
Ah. The PSU I posted above was PWS-920P-SQ not 1K28. I'm waiting for business hours when the seller will hopefully respond about the PDU on that empty chassis. I don't own a dremel but I saw a post on here about someone dremeling it. I may consider buying one if I need to. Thanks

RonnieFlink

Nov 18, 2017
Maybe I'm going about this wrong. This is my current build: ahughes03's Completed Build - Xeon E3-1231 V3 3.4GHz Quad-Core, Node 804 MicroATX Mid Tower - PCPartPicker
MOTHERBOARD Supermicro X10SL7-F Micro ATX LGA1150
8 harddives and I'm planning on adding another 8. I don't necessarily need a JBOD I could just move the entire server over. Only problem I see with that is the CPU fan might hit that clear plastic vent. I don't necessarily need this Chassis. I just wanted 24 slots so I could expand again in a couple years if I need to.

K D

Dec 24, 2016
the CPU fan might hit that clear plastic vent
I think you are referring to the air shroud in the 846. If you are using a 3U or 4U high cooler, you will not use it. If you are using the cooler that comes with the Box 1231 V3, then you dont have to worry. It wont hit the shroud.

RonnieFlink

Nov 18, 2017
I think you are referring to the air shroud in the 846. If you are using a 3U or 4U high cooler, you will not use it. If you are using the cooler that comes with the Box 1231 V3, then you dont have to worry. It wont hit the shroud.
yeah the shroud. I'm using the one that came with the xeon, so that works. thank you.

K D

Dec 24, 2016
yeah the shroud. I'm using the one that came with the xeon, so that works. thank you.
Also, the shroud is mainly for passive heatsinks that are cooled by the midplane fans. Since you are using an active heatsink, you dont need it.

Aestr

Oct 22, 2014
Seattle
I don't necessarily need this Chassis. I just wanted 24 slots so I could expand again in a couple years if I need to.
If you're really not looking to expand for a couple of years buying a JBOD now doesn't make much sense. Even the server transplant likely won't provide a lot of value to you as in two years time you might want to refresh the entire build. If you decide to expand sooner you can always but the hardware then, but there's not much point in having it sit around and running the risk that by the time you're ready the hardware might not meet your needs.

I find myself faced with these choices all the time and often pull the trigger because I get excited by the prospect of new hardware, but in hindsight realize there was little or no return. If you're like many of us and this is a vice by all means get the hardware and have some fun! If you're trying to be practical and have other fun things you can spend the money on consider holding off until you're ready to expand.

RonnieFlink

Nov 18, 2017
If you're really not looking to expand for a couple of years
I am expanding now by 8 drives to 16 total drives. Just wanted the extra 8 slots for the future since there isn't much of a cost difference between 16 slot and 24 slot.

I also found exactly what I wanted. a 24 slot with 2x SQ psu. But I'll probably want to replace the BPN-SAS-846A backplane with a BPN-SAS2-846EL1 or BPN-SAS2-846EL2 based on this post SuperMicro 4U 24-BAY Chassis - Gotcha's??

SuperMicro 846BA-R920B BareBone 4U Server BPN-SAS-846A 24X Trays Rails | eBay

Edit: I don't know that I need to replace the backplane. I need to go refresh my memory about expanders.

Last edited:

bitrot

Aug 7, 2017
You don't have to replace the backplane if you have enough HBAs / SATA / SAS ports to connect 24 drives. In theory, that actually is the fastest way to connect your drives - expanders are always limiting bandwidth, even if that may not be really relevant in everyday use.

Another advantage of the BPN-SAS-846A backplane is that it actually supports SAS3 (12Gb/s), even if unofficially.

Aestr

Oct 22, 2014
Seattle
Okay if you're expanding anyways and won't exceed 24 bays for years I'd transplant your server into the new chassis. You'll save some money as well as remove unnecessary complications like the UPS shutdown scripting your mentioned earlier.