JBOD for SSDs?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Didnt say you had a budget, what is it?

Here is a cheaper model. $1200 "+getMessage("iPrintVerKit")+"

Plenty of options out there, maybe just not in your budget. SAS Expander is likely whats driving the price up.
Yea budget is much lower than that. Not trying to spend more than a few hundred $.

Since you're on a budget and used is always cheaper why not Supermicro SC113's? Only 8 drives per 1U chassis, but even with a JBOD power board you're still way under a new short depth JBOD.

SC113TQ-563CB | 1U | Chassis | Products | Super Micro Computer, Inc.

SUPERMICRO 1U CSE-113TQ X8DTL-IF 2x E5530 16GB 8x TRAYS ADAPTEC 5805 SAS113TQ | eBay
I have considered that but I've worked with the SC113M and other 1U SuperMicro chassis' and they are just too loud for where I have my rack. I can keep a 2U much quieter and still have decent cooling.

Aestr

Oct 22, 2014
Seattle
The double depth counter-rotating 1U fans are usually jet engines, but the single depth fans in the ebay listing are pretty quiet if you have a PWM controller, and since you're just putting in SSDs it is probably enough cooling for you. The FAN-0100L4 is rated at 34 dBA, but usually after startup you can barely hear it within 5-10 feet.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
The double depth counter-rotating 1U fans are usually jet engines, but the single depth fans in the ebay listing are pretty quiet if you have a PWM controller, and since you're just putting in SSDs it is probably enough cooling for you. The FAN-0100L4 is rated at 34 dBA, but usually after startup you can barely hear it within 5-10 feet.
I had a very different experience with those fans. They hummed very loudly in my office sitting 10 feet away. However I didn't use a PWM controller, just plugged them right into a SuperMicro board.